PDA

View Full Version : Short film - Yankee Gal (Supinfocom)

APerez
02-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Hello everybody,

This film was made during 2008, and took a full year of production to get over with. Four people were on the team: Céline Desrumaux, Gary Levesque, Antoine Perez and Francois Pons. Hope you enjoy it.

You can see it here (http://www.yankeegal.com)

http://www.fubiz.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/lolita-550x412.jpg

http://www.fubiz.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/bisous-550x412.jpg

lehmi
02-17-2009, 09:22 PM
what a unique theme. I am stunned.

Really nice idea and execution.

I liked the cuts between the moments in the cockpit and the bar... and the transition when it becomes one with the plane getting destroyed.

But I have to say that it could be a bit shorter and more tense in that moment...

The fire looked a bit weird in the context ( I love stylized fx - but with the semi realistig characters and environments using half-circles as fire particles looked a bit off )

vimeo - liked.

keep it up!

ParamountCell
02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Saw this and the interview posted over at motionographer. Well done

AntGilles
02-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Very Well done. I especially like the lighting.

patconnole
02-18-2009, 01:07 AM
brilliant work! I'm curious what the motivation was to tell this story.

The info section on the website opens a window that I can't resize, to see all the info.. fyi.

mister3d
02-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Great work!
I see it took your team 1 year, but I'm sure the next movie will be faster due to obtained experience.
A very smooth animation, nothing that distracts the eye from the story. I personally like the story concept and how it's realised. Maybe I would add a bit of glow to this dream to make it more dreamy and created the contrast between the fall, making it cold and gloomy. The style reminds me David Lynch films, so if this was the idea, it is reached the point.
Good impression in general. It's good you chose the story that is quite interesting, without not logical connections, as it often happens to shorts.

sasha011
02-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Nice story and great work. Good choice of music, and also very well done

Ajouz
02-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Just great! i love the concept, i wish the hero was saved though!!

Konarovic
02-20-2009, 11:21 AM
i'm a big fan of lighting and colors. And the light board is really well done.

ciao

ragdoll
02-20-2009, 09:32 PM
inspirational film! supinfocom students sure crank it up a notch every time! i love the atmosphere and how you did the flames...great style! easy 5! :thumbsup:

cristis
02-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Awesome work.I like the natural feeling of the animation.Do you use movie reference or it's just your imagination?
And...I really like this ending, it makes a change from the normal "happily ever after" thing.

randyspotswood
02-20-2009, 10:15 PM
this is very nice, I couldn't see anything that I didn't like.

RobertoOrtiz
02-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Wow!
Plugged..

Could you tell us a bit moreabout the production?
Do you have any model/ artwork you could show us?
And who did the incredible lighting of the short?

mandana
02-21-2009, 04:44 AM
love the colors and lights.well done man:thumbsup:

DuttyFoot
02-21-2009, 05:12 AM
that was fantastic, i love the artwork.

RenisanceX
02-21-2009, 07:28 AM
That was pretty badass great art direction colors and camera work 5. Very unique music and editing was well done

selwy
02-21-2009, 07:36 AM
!!! FANTASTIC WORK !!!
best regards, Selwy

daw
02-21-2009, 07:49 AM
wow! really amazing work guys!

Konarovic
02-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Where did you work now ? advertising, movies, games ?

LosPescados
02-21-2009, 08:48 AM
really nice, though fire might be changed a litle

Paul4wood
02-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Brilliant! It even choked me up on the third viewing.
More power to you guys.

okazaky
02-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Great work and nice stylized look!

Best regards,
Daniel

Spin99
02-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Wow that was so morbid and noir :)

Really manic the way the whole piece hints at death from the beginning.
Like a dance with the femme fatale come to life from the plane logo
the shot down pilot spirals to his ending.

Metal and flash smoke and a club and then the flying plates and the dynamics as
the place falls apart. Poetry?

Loved the lighting including the club, the hand modeling, animation.
The scene where Lolita's gloved hands and arms encircle the pilot at the club was just amazing.
And the soundtrack was so incredible with Marylin's singing.

Fantastique oh and so sad of course :buttrock:

PS -- The scene with the falling parachutists looked like a tribute to
l'Incal Noir anyone else notice?

opentarget
02-21-2009, 11:30 AM
really nice, though fire might be changed a litle

Daniel

i dont agree with this, in my opinion it was the fire that got my attention the most and what made it so unique, i loved it particularly when the lady walks with the flames behind her it looked like wings almost. also when he lights his cigarette was great.
one of the best looking shorts i have seen in ages. stunning lighting and design, great topic and straight to the point. gorgeous!

AntonisF
02-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Wow!Thats amazing artwork man.Well done and keep up the good quality;)

aghill
02-21-2009, 11:46 AM
I think you deserve alot of respect for this! Its amazing you pulled this movie off! How much dedicated time did you have for the producion?

The choise of song is very good! The fire is cool! You have alot of guts for using a grafical way instead of hunting realism. It's working very well!

Best of luck in the future.

Boone
02-21-2009, 12:10 PM
LOL, I was like "Pull up Striker! PULL UP!"

Excellent work I must say. Can we have a little "making of Yankee Gal" please? :cool:

undoz
02-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Wow, superb! Loved the shot with the smoke trail in the beginning and the Lynch-ish introduction into the club.

Any more details on the production?

Thanks

LiffaMan
02-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Great work!! i love it!! cool fire!!.... and great characters!!

AndyH
02-21-2009, 01:03 PM
*picks jaw up off floor*

Wow, that was just stunning!

Brilliant idea, and executed superbly. The stylisation, with the graphic elements and character shapes was extremely well done, and something i have rarely seen done so well in 3d before.

Truly inspiring stuff.

angel
02-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Very nice work indeed, loved how the thing fell appart and forming a swastika... very cool.

Ilive
02-21-2009, 03:32 PM
A few things.

I'm glad you guys reallys showed the power of a "collaboration" We cannot get enough of those. Hopefully seeing your efforts come to fruition will encourage others to collab.

Also the stylized characters were great. A very good flashback to the 40s pinup girl. Reminded me of those episodes of looney toons!

Very smooth animation. Very good expressions. The cut scenes are amazing. The fire was a little weird but nothing detracting from your work.

I was wondering though working on this did you work on it full time or was it a part time deal when you had time?

visionmaster2
02-21-2009, 04:53 PM
ça déchire, bravo !

could you tell us a little more about your process ?

sergicaballer
02-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Exelent stuff guys!!! The colors, shapes, ambient are great! :bowdown:

eyad
02-21-2009, 05:35 PM
i wish i can have a download for ur clip !!

BlackGyoza
02-21-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm really impressed by your project, everything was carefully though ! I love the style you've created, and your 2d effects works incredibly well with the overall look ! WoW ! Felicitations !
That's a great short movie !

xtrm3d
02-21-2009, 06:07 PM
congratulation for this superb production ...
love the pace and the story .. especially the ending
now please show us some wireframe.. and tell us a little bit about your process :-)

5stars from me

birkov
02-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Very cool work, I love the light and the color, also the animation is fantastic.

Great work

depleteD
02-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Wow, that was really incredible guys

rawwad
02-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Fantastic! I like it very much, great style and idea. Well done:)

kelgy
02-22-2009, 01:26 AM
Great work.

Really impressed by the story idea.

It reminds me of Ambrose Bierce's an Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and an episode of the Twilight Zone starring Robert Redford as Death, but you made it unique.

My french is a bit rusty...

C'est Formidable!!!:)

Mrguy
02-22-2009, 02:24 AM
A very well done piece...

Im not too sure if I'd relate it to Ambrose Bierce's an Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge because that was his life flashing before his eyes and then having a very abrupt ending. This is piece is more of a life flash but then acceptance as to whats going to happen to him. The two are slightly similar but it's that ending the makes them entirely different.

But really good reference to Owl Creek Bridge, there was a Sci Fi verson done exactly like Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge but I've never been able to find the name or who made it.

MASTERSHOKHAN
02-22-2009, 06:15 AM
excellant work

Emmanuel
02-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Loved it, the shading, graphic design, the lighting and colours, awesome. The story should have ended differently, though, and the music at the end is absolutely inappropriate.With a good ending, this would have been totally awesome.

Usherd
02-22-2009, 02:11 PM
:Dtruly amazing loved every second of it!:applause:

zeka
02-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Amzing style - love those fire like cell shadng effects

crew 972
02-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Wonderful work. My friend JP showed me two days ago. It is phenomenal. Make a feature! I'll buy a ticket for sure...
:applause:
Good luck!
Alex Orrelle

Groovysushi
02-22-2009, 05:20 PM
First of all,
thank you everybody for your comments..
it is always encouraging for us...

you can find an interview of the team, with some explications about the precessus, on the motionographer here :

http://motionographer.com/2009/02/16/yankeegal-full-film-with-qa/

you can also find some artworks on the website : www.yankeegal.com (http://www.yankeegal.com)

enjoy!

++

Cryptite
02-22-2009, 05:41 PM
This is wonderful. Fantastic work.

APerez
02-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Hey there everyone,
Thanks alot for all those great comments, you bring us a lot of motivation.

I'm sorry I haven't replied earlier, but I was busy recovering from a hangover ;)

patconnole >> We didn't have a specific motivation for this scenario, but more of a general motivation to make an emotional and dramatic film. We wanted strong characters in an immersive environement. We tried to steer clear of repetitive joke-movie style that seem to dominate the 3D scene at the moment.
I'm sorry for that unresizable popup window, I coded it to be smaller but somehow it decided to keep this unconvenient size. I think it's a mixup between the different css stylesheets. I don't have the motivation to fix it now, but you can tab-open it.

mister3d >> I do hope that the next movie will be faster to make. I can safely say that at least half of the production time was spent on trying different solutions/ideas/experimentations and picking the best. Thanks for noticing the lynch influences.

cristis >> We had different references for the animation, from tango clips (GOTAN project) to Marylin Monroe clips, also including acrobatic rocknroll etc. We picked different things in different places, and tried to create our own litle dance style from that. I don't think there is any shots for wich we had a specific movie guide/reference. Although we did film ourselves acting the movie (and we are pretty bad at acrobatic rocknroll ;))

RobertoOrtiz >> Thanks ! The lighting was divided between Celine Desrumaux and me. I've worked on most of the interior cabaret scenes, and she did most of the outside airborn ones. It was pretty straight-forward lighting: no exposure control, no tone mapping, no gamma-corrected workflow, no FG nor GI. I think the two main tricks were to use alot of ambiant-only lights (they kinda flatten the image and boost the colors, gives nice illustrative style) and render the rimlights on a separate white-blinn pass, to outline the characters better. Half of the lighting work was already done after we finished the color board. You can look it up on the website, with other artworks as well: www.yankeegal.com (http://www.yankeegal.com)

selwy >> Thanks ! Impressive modeling skills you have there :o

Konarovic >> We all work in the advertisment field now. Celine Francois and me work in London, and Gary is in Paris. Have fun in Supinfocom, It may seem hard and frustrating at some times, but they are truely unique years of your life.

spin99 >> I love Moebius !

boone >> I'm not sure we'll ever make a Making of, sorry :sad:. We are already struggling with time to prepare another short film ...

undoz >> I can see you're a real Lynch fan, twin peaks is awesome !

AndyH >> I'm digging your Trixie Gal !

Snows >> Funny thing is most people don't even notice the Swastika. I've even had some feedback from people wondering if we intentionally hid it to make a dark subliminal nazi message... :(

xtrm3d >> Sadly I don't have the files available here in London. I'll ask my teammates though

emmanuel >> very honnest comment, I appreciate it. Could you tell a us a bit more why you didn't like the music ? we have had very different opinions about it. The music composer that worked on the film shared your opinion ;)

RobertoOrtiz, Aghill, Undoz, Llive, Visionmasster, and everyone >> Development of the script started really early—two years before the end of the production. But at that time, we were still very distracted by other classes that made up the Supinfocom’s curriculum. So for a year, we developed the script and storyboard ‘part time’. The storyboard ended up taking about a month, so did the 2D animatic. We started full time production the following year: 2 months for the 3D animatic ( many of them! ), 2 months for the design and modeling. The rest of the time was spent on animation, lighting, rendering and compositing. We also missed the train going to our final jury, so we could better finish the movie. that’s 8 hours of extreme stress!

Thanks again

Boone
02-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Oh well, not to worry. Still, Yankee Girl is now one of my favourite shorts and I think its something you should be proud of. Any chance of a HD download? That would really be sweet!:cool:

AndyH
02-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah, im with boone - a downloadable version would be great. This deserves a spot in my 'inspirational short films' folder!

manuel
02-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Nice, I like it. Good to see people tackling challenging subjects.

Some of the imagery is really strong. The shot where we track with her feet towards the table works incredibly well and I love the way her hand appears out of the dark when she first reaches the table.

However, the editing could do with tightening up. It doesn't flow as much as it could do. The whole piece doesn't feel as elegiac as it could have been had a really strong editor had come in and taken some painful decisions. I'm not an editor so take my words with a grain of salt, but I think you could cut down the amount of shots before the "Yankee Gal"-titles come almost down to three shots. Leave something unanswered for after the title.

And I would agree with one of the previous posters that the end music doesn't fit, it breaks the dark poetry by being too up-tempo.

I would seriously consider approaching a good editor where you work and ask him/her to have a look at it in exchange for a bottle of good French wine. Brits are suckers for French wines ;) Most editors that I know are often happy enough to do something like that, they love the challenge. And if you don't like the end result, no harm done.

kelgy
02-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Im not too sure if I'd relate it to Ambrose Bierce's an Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge because that was his life flashing before his eyes and then having a very abrupt ending. This is piece is more of a life flash but then acceptance as to whats going to happen to him. The two are slightly similar but it's that ending the makes them entirely different.

I havent read it in a while but I think the Bierce story had an element of struggling to live as well as the illusion of better surroundings(he escapes and overcomes other obstacles to get home, but there is a sense of a growing illusion to it), and you see some aspect of that in the short. But in a sense its the opposite of Owl Creek, he knows its an illusion and tries to fight it. In Owl Creek he isnt really fighting it for real.

The Twilight Zone story with Redford involves Death being personified as a young attractive person and acceptance of Death. That didnt have a nasty edge, while the Bierce story does.

This short has elements of both.

Its poignant or disturbing depending on how you relate to it.

Geta-Ve
02-23-2009, 01:04 AM
I did a double take at the swastika part, had to go back and check if it was really there. Brilliant!

Great job all around, and I actually liked the fire vfx.

Soverign
02-23-2009, 02:51 AM
STYLIZED FIRE IS SO SICK!!

ok sorry for the immature outburst, but its true =]

Only weirdness...after the lady takes a drag on the cigarette, shouldn't smoke come out of her mouth as she talks or something? Just something that felt peculiar to me.

Nice done, m8s.

phoenix
02-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Impressive piece mate, well done

Regards

gauravanim
02-23-2009, 03:33 AM
She has the spunk :love::beer:

Leviathangod
02-23-2009, 03:56 AM
Wonderful concept and design for the entire video. I really liked the animation style like with the reoccurring fire in the video and how it was used. Good Job!!

AJ
02-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Absolutely fantastic work.

I loved everything about it, the style, story, pacing, lighting, direction... Just everything. I especially loved the sound design, which was perfect throughout.

5 of your finest stars!

Spin99
02-23-2009, 09:58 AM
I can't believe I had to read the interview to realise where a lot of the
stylisation comes from - Corto Maltese! The pilot's nose?

More bonus points here :bowdown:

redbyte
02-23-2009, 10:49 AM
:bowdown: Bloody Terrific.

I'm telling all my friends about this. It's the best animated short I've seen in years (and I watch a ton of short films).

The colours, lighting, sound and most of all storytelling, were some of the best I've ever seen. You captured my attention from the first shot and held it right till the end.

My only minor crit was the unnecessary sound effect of the plane hitting the ground. We all new he was going to die so it should be left to our imagination. This of course only my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. :p

It is an otherwise flawless film.

My favourite scene was the gorgeous landscape. It holds such beauty, yet at the same time doom, as you know it will be the pilots death. This fits in perfectly with the story of course. :applause:

I cannot thank you enough for making this. It has made my evening. I'll be plugging this wherever I can. I'm sure you will all get many offers/jobs positions with this under your belt. :arteest:

redbyte
02-23-2009, 11:09 AM
double post

mushroomgod
02-23-2009, 02:17 PM
wonderfull from start to finish, cant fault it

Love the Swastika and the SS logos hidden away.

5 stars.

micalopulos
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
i loved it, great coloring, awesome work!

Frio
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
great film))
5+

melmann
02-23-2009, 04:58 PM
soooooooo wonderful. Kiks ace on so many levels! Congrats

mypeople
02-23-2009, 05:12 PM
incredible. love the art style, and animation was amazingly fluid too. my favorite little short film ive seen in a long time. boy that was great.

PapaNinja
02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Bravo, excellent boulot.
La mod est très originale et sympa, le rendu lui aussi sort de l'ordinaire et l'animation est de très bonne facture.
Le scénar change un peu des clichés de ce qu'on peut voir à la sortie de l'école.
Vous venez de vous créer un gros plus sur votre c.v ^^

Félicitations, je vais montrer ça à mes élèves ^^

niEt0
02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Admirable, exemplary and remarkable.
I really like it, every aspect on this short-film is at same quality level... and that level is quite high.

Larry_g1s
02-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Really really impressive work. The lighting was fantastic, animation was solid, I really enjoyed the style of the characters and scene, and the music was perfect for the animation. I have a bit of trouble with the story, sorry, I'm just not getting it. I did notice the swastikas on her neck.

nemoo
02-23-2009, 09:06 PM
that was absolutely beautiful! really loved the lighting and the colors and the faces and the mood.

Snowstorm
02-24-2009, 01:03 AM
excellent work.

Music and atmosphere was top notch. I personally found the fire a little odd at first, but it grew on me, and the cigarette lighter fire was awesome :P

Character design and quality of the art was all very fitting. Top notch stuff.

nikkons
02-24-2009, 09:42 AM
watching this was a Mezmerizing experience. This shortfilm shows a compelling indebtedness relation between aesthetics and conceptual development far beyond students grounds thank you for sharing this.

firstsingle
02-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Creatively executed. Good job.

Ecleposs
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
great work :) really amazing

berniebernie
02-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Noice !

Those endless nights paid off !

frogchild
02-24-2009, 06:37 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Great work, great style, nice piece.

R3desiGN
02-25-2009, 09:37 PM
It was a pleasure to watch it. Great animation. :bowdown:

yoroba
02-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Beautiful! Extremely impressing. I love how tight you kept your color theme, how smooth the modeling/texture work was and how neat the animation looked. Especially the animation of the Yankee Gal's hands caught my eye. The lighting in the caberet scene was really well done as well. Smashing work!

Boone
02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Especially the animation of the Yankee Gal's hands caught my eye.

Quoted for agreement. That is my primary beef with most animations in that the hands are never given enough attention. Afterall, it was James Earl Jones who once said "What is the sword...compared to the hand?".

Mir-Zamara
02-27-2009, 05:00 AM
this is lovely work. The final edit needs to another look but the overall feel is really great. \

Cheers

Abe
02-27-2009, 07:03 PM
This one of the best I have seen,is it possible to please get copy to veiw without going on line?if you could leave me a message,I will get right back.Thanks Alec.

Konarovic
02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks antoine, i know it's cool, passioned teachers with humor (j-y arboit ^^). I know you use one of nicolas repac songs. Really cool (i'm a big fan of jazz)

take care and watch french team at the six nations tournament.
Go france

AnimAitor
02-28-2009, 08:13 AM
I love happy endings ;D Thank you so much for letting us watch your film, guys. Congratulations to all of the artists involved on the creation of this beautiful short and good luck!

sbwoodside
02-28-2009, 09:03 PM
This is the best short I've seen on CGSociety period. Ranks up there in the best shorts I've seen ever. You're going to submit to film festivals right? Ahh. I see you have, but more! The animation is great, I love the fire, but the way the animation and music meld with the story is perfect. The story is GREAT. I don't find it depressing at all. The ending is perfect. Who cares if he dies? He chooses death! All of his friends bail out but he wants to be with the angel of death and he gets what he wants. It's perfect!

I too want a download so I can show it to my friends in high def.

Who owns the rights? You or the school? You guys need to do more original work :-)

AOG
03-05-2009, 02:58 AM
it's really good....very well done....

Artbot
03-10-2009, 05:43 PM
What can I say that everyone else hasn't already said? This is a fantastic piece of work, both moving and beautiful.

I actually found myself thinking about a sequel - I want to see more! Perhaps his dream of the afterlife as he floats, semi-conscience in his parachute harness. ;)

Simply gorgeous work.

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2009, 05:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.