PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Essential Lightwave"

milqman
07-02-2003, 03:59 AM
'Ello there.

(Sorry I have a thread that is like this and would post this question there but I feel that the topics are too different and am afraid this question would get lost)

It seems that "Essential Lightwave" by Timothy Albee is out and I was wondering if anyone had it and what they thought of it?

Thanks

DaveW
07-02-2003, 05:40 AM
Are you sure it's out? Amazon says it hasn't been released yet.

nessjp
07-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Yep,
Mine came in the mail last week.
It is quite excellent!

Cman
07-02-2003, 05:42 AM
I have it - overall it's not bad.

I like the modeling tuts, but they don't start until 1/2 through. Until that point he covers "essential lightwave" - keyframes for animation, how to make a polygon, how to color a polygon, how to render a polygon - stuff like that.

So it really covers Lightwave from an absolute beginner's standpoint - then eventually covers some more intermediate-level animation, effects and modeling.

there ya go.
:shrug:

nessjp
07-02-2003, 05:50 AM
Let me just clarify that when I say that I think it is excellent, it is because I am still somewhat of a Newbie. This book shed a lot of light on some things for me, but it was a bit basic even to me in some areas.
These things that were basic even to me is only because I am not a full blown newbie anymore so am starting to learn some things already.
However, I fell that for the completely new to LW Newbie, this is the best book.

relativity
07-02-2003, 08:14 AM
I also have it... It's pretty much a beginner's starter guide. It's a great book for absolute beginners - those not too familiar with LW. However, if you're looking for more advanced stuff, this book probably isn't for you. The tuts in this book are very basic.

I was a little disappointed to find out that the book doesn't cover a tutorial on how to make the Cheetah on the front cover. :thumbsdow

I would recommend you get Inside Lightwave 7 as well.

Nemoid
07-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Don't have it, but read the first part online. it seemed to me better of inside Lightwave 6 ( italian translation).
i think that the more books are there on the argument the best is, and i hope the Albee series will go ahead and continue with a intermediate book.

so, take both inside 7 and Albee's book.

at last, i think that its difficult that a book cover all the Lw related arguments and i agree with Splinegod when he says that movies or DVD or his quicktime courses give the best amount of information possible, for a quick and powerful learning.:thumbsup:

peanuckle
07-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know when Amazon will be getting the Book or why they havent already?

pea~

comanche
07-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by peanuckle
Does anyone know when Amazon will be getting the Book or why they havent already?

I'm waiting, too :/
Ordered at amazon.de :surprised

Cheers,
Andreas

allaboutkeys
07-11-2003, 03:15 PM
amazon.de has some weird dates about this book:

Release date: Oct 1st, 2003
Shipping date: March 9 to 12 (no year)

:rolleyes:

R2D2
07-11-2003, 07:23 PM
I had pre-ordered this months and months ago. After receiving it and glossing through it, I've come to the conclusion that its not really something I need. If anyone out there wants it as soon as possible, I'll sell my copy. Drop an e-mail to artoo_99(nospam)@hotmail.com. Or IM me at R2Dork.

Later,
R2

richpr
07-11-2003, 08:22 PM
I am working through Inside Lightwave 7 (starting the head in Ch 10) and have Lightwave Applied to read after that... I guess from this thread that I would not need 'Essential'...

Nemoid
07-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Nope,
i'd start to make any intermediate tut i can find on the web, then...:buttrock:
or buy some great dvd like that of Todd Grimes or Splinegod courses, or other excellent things like that.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.