PDA

View Full Version : How to create this kind of blur effect in photoshop?

kouu123
02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Can anyone teach me how to create blur effect like this one?

http://ranobe.com/up/src/up339215.jpg

walrus
02-17-2009, 02:58 PM
The easiest approach that I can think of would be to
set your lasso anti-aliasing to a really high number,
use it to select the bottom area of the podium,
if you need to, Select>feather and choose a high number to make the selection even more soft
and then Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur
You'd have top fool around with all the numbers, like the amount of feathering and blur you want, but that should get you in the right ballpark.
Good luck!

doomdragon
02-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I think there are a number of ways, here's how I'd do it in Photoshop Elements:

- Copy the image you got into a new layer and blur it completely.
- Create a new empty layer between the two layers you got.
- select the blurred layer and hit ctrl+g, that way the blurred layer is only drawn over the layer below which is currently empty, so it isn't drawn at all.
- select a very broad and soft brush and paint around in the empty layer to make it blurred where you want it to be.

That way you can't really mess up anything if the area is too big or not big enough you can just paint and erase till it fits.

Oh I see walrus already posted another way, as I said I think there are a number of ways to do this. :D

Crotalis
02-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Did you try just running over your image with the blur tool? The ways posted above will also work just fine but that's probably the easiest way. If you set your brush size right you wont even need to mask anything out.

gruhn
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
I too was thinking it looked like the blur tool.

John-S
02-18-2009, 01:35 AM
-duplicate the layer

-apply a strong gaussian blur (Play around. Maybe even a surface blur first with a gaussian on-top of it)

***edit added this one part below***

-I always like to add a slight noise filter after my blur to help reduce any gasoline swirlies I call them due to the blurs and also to add just the slightest bit of texture back to the image.

-with that layer selected then go to Layer>Layer Mask>Hide all

-make sure the mask is selected in that layer and then use your white paintbrush and start painting the effect on. Change the opacity and hardness of the brush to taste. Probley use an opacity of around 60 or something.

-if you ever want to redo it then all you got to do is select the mask layer and paint with the black brush at 100% opacity to get rid of the effect or maybe around 20% to soften it.

Hope it helps :)

John-S
02-18-2009, 01:41 AM
and yes... the blur tool will work for this also. I'e just always found it more beneficial to stay in the practice of painting on masks for editing purposes.

gruhn
02-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Be aware, there is a difference between variable amounts of blurring and variable overlay of a constant amount of blurring.

The one can give you a line lightly blurred here and heavily blurred up there.

The other gives you a crisp line with a faint halo here and a heavily blurred line with faint stroke down the center up there.

Sometimes the difference matters.

moiremusic
02-18-2009, 01:24 PM
The easiest way would be to pull a black-to-white gradient across the quickmask, then blur that selection:

Enter Quickmask Mode (press Q)
With the foreground set to white, and the background set to black, create a linear gradient vertically
Enter Selection mode (press Q)
Apply Gaussian Blur

kouu123
02-18-2009, 01:34 PM
thank you so much for the comments. i'll try the methods above soon.
actually, i like the "moody" feel of this poster.

leigh
02-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Looks like the Blur tool to me.

Jedman67
02-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Select the part you want to blur. copy it to a new layer, g-blur, and carefully combine the two layers till you get the result you want.

There can be hundreds of methods to create any given effect in photoshop, its very powerful software

@John S: You would want to apply only a very light noise filter, just to offer a faint contrast to the blur. in this case, i would porbably apply a 2-5 point noise filter, then fade to about 20% opacity

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2009, 09:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.