PDA

View Full Version : a question about SHINE PLUGIN

FabioMSilva
07-01-2003, 10:15 PM
ok the scene is like this. I got an actor, with bluescreen around him. Then i will paint a scar on his face with a red marker. I will then bring this to A.E5.5 and key composite the blue screen. how do i tell Shine that i want it to make use of the "shine Effect" on just the "red"? i tought of keying the whole thing leaving just the red and then put the red as a separate layer but isnt there any other way of telling shine plugin "Shine the RED on this footage"?

PRETTY PLEASE HELP ME! :scream:

:beer: :beer:

giz
07-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Yes you can use Shine on red - colorize - Base on - red, but I think that you wouldnt get results as you expect because human skin also have some red tone.

FabioMSilva
07-02-2003, 02:09 PM
i see...maybe green then...ill try out what u said right now. thanx mate!:beer:

FabioMSilva
07-02-2003, 02:57 PM
:annoyed: sigh...it aint workin like i expected...the red isnt working at all...and im not yet using live footage. I was using a ball i made in 3d with some red paints on it(with bluescreen behind) I do as u told me, but the whole ball gets light(and not only the red parts) why is that? plus the light isnt looking correctly i wanted a really strong red light coming out of it.

ive made a test where i have this all-white image with some red symbols on it. if i apply shine on it the red(normal predefinitions of shine no selective color stuff or anything) it appears it works the same type as in displacecements. the white is solid, while the red is darker than white(so theyre "holes" on a solid sruface") But still im not being sucessful on applying it to the ball so i fear the whole footage ill filme will crumble!:thumbsdow

Please aid me in my quest! i would gladly post my ideas in my website(for u to have an idea) but unfortunatly i dunno where i got my office cds where there is frontpa ge:surprised

does any1 know a good HTML editor free? and what is the shimmer funcionality of the shine plugin?

Once again, i would gladly apriciate your help fellow Cg-Artists!

Phred42
07-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Shine doesn't have a keyer built-in (to shine "just the red"), and shouldn't really be expected to. After Effects already has tools for that stuff (assuming you have the production bundle) that work pretty darned well.

You need to somehow create an alpha channel for the red painted area, and then apply the shine effect to the layer with that alpha. Pull your bluescreen key first. Then, make a new comp with the working bluescreen key comp on the bottom and your original clip with the red in it on top. On your top layer, pull a key on the red paint, invert the resulting alpha (so you get white in the alpha channel where the red is and not black) with effect->channel->invert, and then run shine on that. Voila!

If you're gonna be using AE a lot, you should really go get Trish and Chris Meyer's Creating Motion Graphics books....they explain all this stuff in great detail in a really friendly manner. I also recommend Steve Wright's "Digital Compsiting for Film and Video" and Ron Brinkmann's "the Art and Science of Digital Compositing."

Good luck!

FabioMSilva
07-02-2003, 05:53 PM
yes i got pro bundle. And for blue keyinh Im using ultimmate now! It rulez! Im gonna try what u told ASAP. :beer:

thanx alot

about the books i dunno...i think il be switching to digital fusion soon :rolleyes:

FabioMSilva
07-02-2003, 06:40 PM
yup ...its getting good. i just dont understand why shine doesnt SHINE all the red markings...it only does in some marks not all? Do u have Any idea of what is doing this?

Again, thanx alot for such cool tips:beer:

FabioMSilva
07-02-2003, 06:58 PM
ok i fixed the problem(during channel invert i forgot to tell a5.5 i wanted it to use ALPHA invert and not rgb)

the only problem i got left is why the shine light is so weak? I wanted it to be stronged but even if i use its maximum potence it is still weak ray of light. why is it so?

Phred42
07-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Look at the alpha that ultimatte is producing...you may have to mess with its settings to get it to output a matte of its own. There is a little button on the bottom left of the comp window that will let you look at the alpha channel in black and white - it's a white rectangle next to r, g, and b rectangles. Toggle it on and off and make sure that all the key is getting all of the red areas you want...you may have to key it multiple times (on different layers) to get all the red if the tonal values are too varied. Also, try playing around with the ray length (probably want to make them shorter) and boost light (probably want to increase) parameters in Shine. And mess with the transfer mode controls inside shine as well...try normal, none, or add. Good luck!

FabioMSilva
07-02-2003, 07:02 PM
ok i fixed the problem(during channel invert i forgot to tell a5.5 i wanted it to use ALPHA invert and not rgb)

and i fixe the problem of the light being so weak! IT was because i needed to select in shine "BASE ON ALPHA" as well! Yohoo! now it rocks! :beer: Thanx to u all! Hope it will work on the footage!

FabioMSilva
07-02-2003, 09:32 PM
cool!

scribbilyg
06-14-2005, 12:01 AM
There is a little button on the bottom left of the comp window that will let you look at the alpha channel in black and white - it's a white rectangle next to r, g, and b rectangles.

Good ol alpha channels. There are also shortcuts to said buttons, and they are:

alt+1 for r
alt+2 for g
alt+3 for b
alt+4 for A

some other common handy-dandy ones are:

ctrl+y makes a solid layer
ctrl+alt+shift+y makes a null

and to make a really quick adjustment layer:

ctrl+y make a solid layer
hit enter really fast (as the default to create a solid is usually the comp size)
hit f4 and make the layer an adjustment layer (by toggling the adjustment layer on/off box (the one that looks like a black and white cookie))
hit f3 to pop open the effects window, right click inside said window to expand the effects controls, and apply whatever effect you desire.

if you do them fast enough its quicker and easier (imho) than right clicking blah blah blah effects window blah blah blah.

get into the habit and impress your friends... and girls too, they love that stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2005, 12:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.