PDA

View Full Version : maya frame rate mystery

kelgy
02-16-2009, 06:52 PM
I posted this in the after effects forum first but maybe its more of a maya issue.

I have my animation shot sequence at 1000 frames.
When I render it out to After effects, the animation frame number total is 802, and the duration is 33.10 seconds.
From what i can tell, the entire animation is there, so I dont know why I am getting the difference.
Someone said maya is reading it as 23.976.

So how do I correct it? Or should I leave it as is?
This is my first animation shot render project.

Also
I am doing a layered shader test--I have 4 separate textures and I am blending in over mode between them to get them to fade in and out smoothly(its supposed to be a hot surface like lava).

In the AE preview, it looks like a smooth transition between the texture files.
In the uncompressed quicktime file I made from the image sequence, tif in maya software renderer--it looks rather pixelly and the transitions between the blends are very stuttery.

Not sure where I need to look to address that.
In the playblasts on high quality mode the transitions look smooth.

kelgy
02-16-2009, 10:55 PM
I hate my ignorance.

johnnyblindeye
02-16-2009, 11:44 PM
you might set your aex project with same frame rate than maya's.. whatever the frame rate because you might also modify it inside ae..
1000 frames maya project=1000 frames ae project
when frames are missing ae should indcate it.. it's a different framerate issue.

by default maya is set at 24fps, you may change it in your preferences, set it on 'free' for instance.. and then reset your animation fps through ae.

your ae preview is certainly correctly calibrated with alpha channel... and qtp is certainly not..
check your alpha mask while importing your sequence into ae.

kelgy
02-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks

I looked at the alpha channel setting in the software render

it was alpha channel (mask) clicked on.

In AE when I imported the Tif files
I noticed the read out under project said 0.00:41.16 24.00fps

when I put that to the film strip icon
it said 33.10.

I altered the time rate to 41.16

it left a space in the AE time ruler
so I scaled/dragged it over to the end
and it seemed to get the full 41.16.

Then I went to export and redid the quicktime file
it says 1000 frames, not 802

and its 41 seconds in the quicktime movie file
BUT it still has the static pixelly problem.

Half the problem solved(I think).

olson
02-17-2009, 01:16 AM
In After Effects are the interpret footage options for the image sequence and the project frame rate the same as the Maya project frame rate? Default Maya frame rate is 24 FPS unless it was changed. After Effects default frame rate is not 24 FPS. Cheers!

kelgy
02-17-2009, 01:29 AM
According to my program in AE the default frame rate under the interpret footage is 30 fps.

But my settings inside maya are at 24 fps.

And to clarify, it didnt say 41.16 until I switched interpret footage to 41.16.

Putting it to 24 fps under composition settings wasnt enough.

Oh and when I go to the quicktime options it says:

compression: H .264
Quality high
key frame rate: 24
frame reordering: yes
encoding method: multi pass

johnnyblindeye
02-17-2009, 01:42 AM
By default, After Effects runs 25fps, if you drag'n'drop a 1000 frames footage in your new project icon, your sequence should last 40seconds...
Then your settings will depend on your work : cinema:24fps, dvd:25fps, web:15fps (in average), ntsc/pal ?
during workflow, you can set it at any FPS, as during export !

41.16 is a regular duration for a 24fps setting..

kelgy
02-17-2009, 02:14 AM
By default, After Effects runs 25fps, if you drag'n'drop a 1000 frames footage in your new project icon, your sequence should last 40seconds...

**oh i see
yeah it says 30 fps when I load it up.

I'll try to figure out the quicktime issue now.

I have worked very little with alpha channels (assuming that's the problem with the quicktime)--in fact most of the maya render settings are new to me--my final animation will be HD 1080 and I did render out a few tests of it at that ratio. It may have been pixelly/stuttery but I didnt notice.

I have two layers

one with the forgreound character animation and a background plate.
I was going to sandwich them together in AE and add a heat blur(I have a tutorial on it).

I also have a few questions on motion blur in maya with layers but I will save that for later.
:)

johnnyblindeye
02-17-2009, 02:38 AM
if you renders look good in AE, you don't have to worry... with other previewers.
if they don't look good, it would not be an alpha mask issue but a render settings ... : working with layers should allow you to increase your quality settings in maya.

hope it was helpful !

kelgy
02-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Thanks.
I wondered why i would ideally want to use many layers when I could render out things in one or two. Now I know. :)

I think i figured out what is causing the pixellation. Its the compression h. 264 setting.

I increased to best quality.
It eliminated most of the jitteryness.

The AE preview is still better image quality but I am only using this for checking texture animation timing so I dont really care until I do a final output mental ray version.

Hopefully soon I can focus on rendering from maya and AE exclusively.
5 years of learning maya and I can see the end of the road at last!

johnnyblindeye
02-21-2009, 11:22 PM
;) you're welcome !

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2009, 11:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.