PDA

View Full Version : proxy character for rigging

zenkatydid
02-16-2009, 02:47 AM
I've stuffed up making my character and early in the piece, lost my low-poly version. I've since made another shape to act in its place, and now would like to skin the rig to the low poly, and have the low poly control the hi poly. My normal method would be to use a subdiv proxy, but since I can't do that here, how do I do it?

zenkatydid
02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
I thought this would be a simple fix... nobody?

musashidan
02-16-2009, 10:43 PM
slice up your low-poly and just link the seperate mesh parts to the corresponding bones .
maybe this isn't appropriate for your case though.

edwardG
02-16-2009, 11:12 PM
He's talking about something completely different; He wants to take a different mesh and use the weights he's painted on that for a high res mesh.

You're running into problems for a few reasons:

1) The vertices of your lo-res have no relation to those of your high res as far as the computer knows.

2) The UV maps of the 2 will be completely different (especially if you haven't unwrapped them).

If they did have the same UV map, you could possibly save the weight maps out as a tiff or targa & then use that image to plug into the weight maps of the high res. Since that isn't going to happen, here's some more ideas:

One thing you could try would be to use a wrap deformer. You would do this by selecting the high res mesh then the proxy, then choose Create Deformers > Wrap. I can't guarantee it will be the best results.

I guess that another possibility would be to bind the high-res to the skeleton. Then select the lo-res proxy that you created (and painted weights to), and then select your mesh. Then go to skin > bind skin > add influence. You'll still have to paint some weights to clean up your mesh's deformations, but that's also a plus because you can fine-tune the weights.

Always, Always, Always save a lo-res version somewhere before you up-res. Good luck!

zenkatydid
02-17-2009, 12:18 AM
it's a pretty simple shape (a fish) so i'll try the wrap deformer and see how that goes - if not, your second idea sounds interesting too. thanks for your help, edward!

and trust me, i have learned from my mistake!

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2009, 12:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.