PDA

View Full Version : WarCraftIII Reign of Chaos Shinning objects

FabioMSilva
07-01-2003, 06:26 PM
i was wondering on how blizzard made those shiny effects (like on arthas armor or the kings jewels) they are far to perfect to be the highlight effect on 3dsmax so i think it some compositing software...or maybe not... i really wanted to know...

Limbus
07-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Do you have any screenshots?

Florian

FabioMSilva
07-02-2003, 02:20 PM
here

http://www.warcraftiii.net/screenshots/cinematic/cinematic-029.shtml

http://www.warcraftiii.net/screenshots/cinematic/cinematic-030.shtml

Limbus
07-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Looks like a glow or highlight filter (or both) from Digital Fusion. I bet most other compositing tools have similar filters.

Florian

FabioMSilva
07-02-2003, 02:59 PM
digital fusion heh? Im always looking for it everywhere but i cant find it anywhere on portugal! guess ill have to buy it online then...

Limbus
07-02-2003, 03:26 PM
I dont know if they actually used Digital Fusion or any other compositing package like shacke, nuke, after effects or combustion. Most compositing tools should be able to produce such effects.

You can get a demo version of digital fusion at www.eyeonline.com

Florian

FabioMSilva
07-02-2003, 03:33 PM
great:thumbsup:

Ian Jones
07-03-2003, 01:30 AM
The technical term for this effect is 'specular bloom'. Good 'ole Neil Blevins has some discussion about it in one of his tutorials. You don't need any complex compositing software to achieve this effect in still images. You can do it in most 3d programs. Eg, glow in 3dsmax... you apply it to a value range of say 230-255. or you could just take it into photoshop and do a similar thing. For animation though, if you do want lots of control over it then yes compositing software would be desirable.

FabioMSilva
07-04-2003, 07:39 PM
specular gloom heh? im going to search for it for more info.

thanx

Limbus
07-07-2003, 09:29 AM
www.neilblevins.com
look under cg education

Florian

Ian Jones
07-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Yeah sorry about that.. I should have provided the link. as above ^^^

3DDave
07-07-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by The Solid Snake
specular gloom heh? im going to search for it for more info.

thanx

There are some people selling their DXF+ from the Lightwave 8 upgrade package. Check ebay or newtek.com

Digitial Fusion Rocks!

noden
07-08-2003, 04:51 PM
another possible method for this glow effect could be pulled off in photoshop or after effects if you take the image and duplicate it twice., for the two duplicates adjust the levels so that everything is black except the most white range of colors.,., then switch the transfer mode of these two layer to screen.,.,
after that, for one of the duplicated layers, apply a motion blur, (fairly heavy) at one angled direction, and with the other duplication a motion blur at a perpindicular direction.,.,

here's a circut board of some sort that i tried this effect on just as an example...

hope this helps

zarkos
07-11-2003, 05:05 PM
On this site: http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/houdini_video/by_topic/compositing/index.html there's a tutorial about "Luma Key" that may help you. It's written for "Houdini" but the principle is the same on all compositing programs.

Nima-3dman
07-17-2003, 11:32 PM
ohh,very easy...
This Effect is exactly created with 3dsmax ,not other softwars.

see this image...

Left jewel: Effects/lens Effects/Ray (with Effect ID)

Right jewel: video post/Add image filter event/lens Effects Highlight

best Regard
Nima nf.

R32
07-22-2003, 07:07 AM
if you want specular bloom in MAX you can either apply a blur based on luminance or there is also a scipt that comes with MAX that does specular bloom. Just go to maxscript/runscript and go into the pluginscripts folder - in there is a specular bloom script. Run it. Now specular bloom will appear under effects in MAX. If you want it to be there permanently just copy the script to your startup scripts folder and it will load when MAX loads. :thumbsup:

Gremlin
07-22-2003, 08:36 AM
blizzard uses 3dsmax, so im sure its the lens effect highlight....they look quite similar :D

mrtprodz
07-23-2003, 10:10 PM
i recommend you to do what r32 said, every time i want to do this kind of effect i use the script specular bloom.

it's great on stills, but when you use it in animation it may happen some surprises (sometimes the object starts acting like a neon light)

if you wana use it on animated video anyway, i suggest you to render it in a separate layer and assemble the 2 video in after effects

the only problem is when u save, everytime you re-open the file you have to re-load it (it will say in the beginning that some scripting error occured)... does anyone knows if it's possible to stop this kind of error?

sorry for my bad english.

FabioMSilva
07-24-2003, 03:09 PM
:beer: lots of suggestions! lovely!

thank u guys!

Cheers to u all!:beer:

Joel Hooks
08-04-2003, 01:41 AM
Blizzard uses Max, but I am sure they post process and composite their images. If you render your work out in layers you can achieve cool effects like this. I think a good place to start would be Jeremy Birn's [digital] Lighting & Compositing - It gives you a good basis upon which to establish effects of this nature.

ki007
12-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I guess those shots have composited bloom effects. I myself am looking for a better solution for animations.

Anyways, look at this program if you're interested in camera bloom (and HDRI). It's all done in real-time. Quite impressive. Lots of camera lens filters too.

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/%7Emasa/rthdribl/index.html

Note: You'll need to have a graphics card that supports DirectX 9 Pixel Shaders (SM 2.0) to run this program.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.