PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Referenced Models

ClumsyFingers
02-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi,

Iīm new to xsi and while triying the referenced models i have some doubts about whatīs the better way of working wit them.

Iīve look in the xsi guide but it hasnīt helped a lot.

I want to import a model into a new scene, so first iīve created the model in his own scene and export it to a file. The first question is:

why xsi creates a null parenting the mesh?

Iīve read that is the scene root for the model.

If itīs true, when importing a model to a new scene should I make the model null match the current secene root and apply all the modifications and animate the model mesh?

or itīs better to apply the animations and modifications to the null?

Anybody can help me?

Sorry for my english and thanks for your time answering.

EricTRocks
02-16-2009, 04:14 AM
Hi Clumsy,

The null that is parented on top of the mesh, rig, etc in your model is how XSI gives each model a local name space. It's to help differentiate between objects if you import more than one instance of a model. So if your model is called 'Character' and it has a controller 'Hand' the local name space of 'Hand' would be 'Character.Hand' if you import another instance of 'Character' it would be called 'Character1' and it's Hand control would be 'Character1.Hand'

You should never move the model null away from world 0. It is the reference point from which all your animated on your characters and objects is calculated from. If you need to reposition a character, you should have a control in your rig that is a "God" control that allows you to position the character in the scene, then you can animate it from that position.

Hope that helps.

Eric T.

ClumsyFingers
02-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks for your answer Eric,

Your answer has been so useful.

I was confused just because my model isnīt animated. I use referenced models just to use instances as I need to repeat thes same model hundreds of times but itīs for a static shot.

I also had a hard time doing that, cause I want the instances to scatter along a surface but I havenīt found a way of doing it in a quick way. I had to instantiate 15 times the model, apply a surface constraint and place them in a row, then duplicate the row of instances many times an offseting its positions.

Maybe Iīm missing something but couldnīt find a better way.

Thanks again for your answer Eric. It helped a lot

Ohmanoggin
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Q: " I want the instances to scatter along a surface".
A: You could do this with hair.

1. Just put hair on your mesh.

2. Go to the hair ppg and select the instancing tab.

3. Select the "Pick" button on the insancing page to select your object to duplicate. Note: It needs to be a group even if just one object (but doesn't have to be a model).

4. Be sure the original object is scaled small and also scale the hair down to small nubs.

5. Render and you will see the objects.

Play with the ppg to get the amount of duplicates and how they follow the contour of the object.

Hope this helps,
Ohmanoggin

ClumsyFingers
02-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Ohmanoggin,

For this case I think I canīt use this method cause I need to modify the position of the instances after scattering it. But Iīve tried it and itīll fit for other projects.

Thanks a lot for your help.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2009, 08:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.