PDA

View Full Version : Beorn - WIP

Innate
02-15-2009, 03:15 AM
Here are a few sketches that Iíve started out for a character concept of Beorn from J.R.R. Tolkienís The Hobbit. The job search continues and I thought would share some of the work Iím doing since I have a little more free time. The Hobbit was an amazing story and it had so many interesting characters. Beorn was one of those characters that just stood out to me and I thought it would be fun to do a character concept of him. Iím going to be painting him out over the next few days, feel free to comment and critique.

http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/BeornDrawing01.jpg

I did some 15 min thumbs to establish a background. Numbers 5, 7, and 8 are the ones that I think that I like the most. I think I like 5 the most, but I think 8 resembles The Carrock (the place where Beorn lived) the most from what I remember. I put an encroaching storm in a few to personify his ferocious side and of course the sun to highlight his more courteous and noble side.

http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/Beorn_BGThumbs.jpg

remcv8
02-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Wow, Beorn is a great character, mysterious in a sense like Tom Bombadil and both make me think of the Pukel-men of Dunharrow (the wild men). I always wondered if there was some relationship.

I reread the Hobbit recently as well as Lord of the Rings. I just finished The Silmarillian and am reading the Children of Hurin.

I can't wait for the Hobbit to hit the screen. It will be amazing!!! When I read the Silmarillion I could hear Galadrial's voice narrating the whole story like the opening scene of Fellowship of the Ring.

I hope that they make the Silmarillion into a big production picture.

I love your concept of Beorn as well as your environments. Hope to see your progress on the painted version.

Noukah
02-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Ooh love the start so far.
Great environmental thumbs too! Somethig I can't master that well yet..
Looking forward to the progress! :)

Innate
02-16-2009, 01:49 AM
remcv8 - Thank you, I've got The Simarillion and Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth waiting for me on my night-stand right now as soon as I finish my current book. It would be awesome to see any of those visualized.

Noukah - Thank you very much!

As you can see I went with thumbnail number 5. The background is getting to a point where Iím happy with it. I'm thinking there are a few spots I may go back to get it to pop a little more but its time to start working on characters.

http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/Hallinan_Beorn02.jpg

thegiffman
02-16-2009, 05:00 AM
Check out some of Justin Gerard's sketches of Beorn for his Battle of Five Armies concepts. I'd like to see more ferocity in your bear - perhaps a more hunched over stance.

http://quickhidehere.blogspot.com/

I really like what you're doing with the background. The clouds need to be a little less "solid" looking, in my opinion. Perhaps a little less contrast and some fuzzier edges?

Overall your sketches look really nice, though I can't help but think they'd benefit from starting with a looser, more scribbly stage to get that dynamic stance just right before putting in the fine detail.

Innate
02-16-2009, 09:11 AM
thegiffman - Thank you for pointing that out. You were right, it could use a more dynamic pose. The clouds were one of the areas I was thinking of going back to after establishing the characters. I did do a few loose sketches but the issue was that I wanted him to appear more than just a bear in his bear form. Hunched over on the ground seemed almost too animalistic, too bear like, than I wanted it to be. Now that theres more lunge in his stance I'm more happy with it, thank you.

Here's my update for today, I've been working all over the place with it. There's lots to do everywhere still. I've changed the pose of the bear for a more dynamic pose. Hopefully, I'll have more time to work on it tomorrow because this is a lot more fun to work on than looking for a job...

http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/Hallinan_Beorn04.jpg

mosoul
02-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Just an idea : It would be nice to add a little hobbit, for instance, beside Beorn in order to give an idea of his impressive height and build. I love this character too in this Tolkien's masterpiece and i think u should emphasize his strenght and his "surnatural" build.

thegiffman
02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
The bear pose is definitely better. I'm not crazy about the pose of the man on the left - though this would be the wrong stage of the process to point this out. Something about the axe and the leg seems a little too contrived. But it's not bad.

One thing I would focus on is getting more of the environment colors into the skin on the man and the hair highlights on the bear.

thegiffman
02-23-2009, 06:49 AM
By the way, I really do admire the landscape technique. I may be aping your style a bit in some future paintings I have in mind.

Noukah
02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Oooh good progress!

The bear sure does look much better now :)
Nice detailwork.
I would make the posing mans hand a little bigger, right now it looks too small.
I also agree about adapting some if the environment colours into his skintones, right now it looks too pasted.
Looking forward for updates on this one :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.