PDA

View Full Version : Character: Woman (med-tec)

Beholder
07-01-2003, 09:13 AM
I'm wondering if you folks might comment on and critique my geometry. I'm a newbie, this is my first human figure. There is a not so (objectively) interesting story detailing why I haven't progressed much on this model since I last posted it. I shall refrain from sharing it. Look at my model, :)

EDIT - For speed, these have been changed to links.

http://www.kotasworld.com/nerraw/3view.jpg

http://www.kotasworld.com/nerraw/3view2.jpg

If anyone wants non-sub-d wires, just ask.

Jockomo
07-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Looks pretty good so far. IMO the ribcage should come down a little lower. Seems strange to have her arched back so far, if your planning to rig her and all, unless it is a static piece and that's the position you plan to have her in. Also looks like you have a high-heels thing going on, but the title says med-tec. If she is a nurse type I would think she would not be wearing high heels.

Beholder
07-02-2003, 04:50 AM
!EDIT! - After reading the rules (oops) I have decided to go ahead and let you all in on what this character will be used for. The initial purpose is simply to add something to my portfolio. The character will eventually be used for at least two things. A posed still of her performing medical assistance on a wounded soldier and 2nd, an animation of her landing as she will eventually be outfitted with either a jetpack or some tech-based-wings (wing fetish ;) ).

I am using Lightwave and PS Elements, I am aiming for art/film school eventually.

I would like critiques on anything about her that bothers you but don't take it the wrong way if I follow my own aesthetic instincts over a crit. I will take into consideration all comments. Thank you. - !EDIT!

Jockomo Ė Thanks. First, Iím debating with myself whether the arch is a stylistic idiosyncrasy, or if I should change itÖIím still thinking though I moved it an inch or so forward. This is, to say the very least, a learning experience. To say more than that, itís something of a drawn out birthing experience. Anyway. Also, the heels, Iím pretty sure they will stay and since this is going to be sci-fi (futuristic) I can explain it away with micro anti-grav units, ďso it looks like a pump, but feels like a sneakerĒ. :)

I cast about a little, tilting the torso a smidge, tried some hands, even tried to determine just what the problem with the shoulders was (deleted "whacky" post). Unfortunately, I made little headway, so no real update today.

Riptyde
07-02-2003, 04:39 PM
I think you should straiten the arch of the back to a more natural position. It is still too much even for being "stylized" (IMHO)

In the front view, the outer side of the upper thigh of her legs seem to bulge out alot and the gap between her leg could be decreased slightly. Are you using a reference or anything?

Thants all for now

good luck.

artistx
07-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Hello Beholder. Your work is off to a good start. The medic theme you're using reminds me of Masamune Shirow's police/medic women. The overall proportions and outline are strong points. The back is arching in a nice C shape. That's something I don't see often in 3d models.

I think the shoes should be seperate from the mesh. Pose the body, then add those sorts of accesories. This way it should be easier for you to change her wardrobe. You never know, you may need that model for something else in the future. There will also be nice subtle shadows you can cast from the clothing because they are seperate.

As you continue to add detail to the figure, make sure that the edges flow along the muscle groups. It gives the figure that extra POP, that extra elegance, that special magic over other models that don't address the underlying muscle in their edge configuration. Right now you have the edges set up on the arms and legs like edges on a cylinder. With the beginning shape this is fine. Just keep in mind that later on you're going to have to break up those edge parallels to get the internal masses you want. It looks like you've starting doing that with the knees.

Continue the good work and post updates.

I get the feeling this section is a little bit more involved. Since this is a focused critique session, you have my attention as long as you post up. ( I don't juggle threads often anyways).
Aside- I also think it is expected that people post atleast a few updates in the thread instead of just one and then never post again. -

Feel free to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Beholder
07-03-2003, 02:41 AM
2nd Note - Server that my pics are on may or may not be down. Sigh.
Note - Please request specific views if it would help you critique.

I moved the breasts closer together (when I did a sudden calm passed over me, so I figure I did good), added some shape to the arms but still need to work on them to get proper forms. Tilted her forward an inch.

ArtistX - I'm going to take your advice on modeling the feet and boots separately, but still need to gather reference materials to work from. I notice artists anatomy books are good for names but not so good for actual forms and shapes so I know what the foot looks like but not what it really looks like, *shrug*.

In response to your comment about updates; an update to me is a "so what" to a pro. Now you've all been warned.

The Shirow comment leads me to the conclusion that you "all posted" me. I must say, Shirow is very inspirational though not a direct inspiration for this project. I'm finding the new GITS comic a little hard to get into but that's another topic...

I started a finger (after failing miserably trying to make a whole hand) but since it's not technically part of the model yet I'm not sure I should show it.

http://www.kotasworld.com/nerraw/2view.jpg

http://www.kotasworld.com/nerraw/wire2vue.jpg

artistx
07-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Yes, unfortunately the general form of feet are neglected in artistic anatomy. I would recommend the Hogarth figure books and Bridgman's "Constructive Anatomy" book for reference in building the general forms.

Beholder
07-05-2003, 08:03 PM
artistx - Both of those books I have and since posting last have been going back through.

Here is a little comic relief to hold you through this holiday weekend. Started experimenting with following the forms. Peace.

http://www.kotasworld.com/nerraw/relief.jpg

artistx
07-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Nice development. I like the added definition to the forearms and the biceps. The shoulder area shows that you are aware the pectorals tie into the arm.
I see the back of the arm has added definition as well. The elbow sinks too deeply into the forearm. It is true that the tendonous area of the triceps is lower than the upper muscular area, but the elbow(ulna) melds smoothly into the forearm. Even when the forearm is extended the underlying form of the ulna is still there.

Aearon
07-07-2003, 12:03 AM
hmmm... the breast looks like you're modeling her clothed..

in other areas it looks like a really tight suit though... i think some areas have a little too much definition on them, the clothing should 'stretch' over the body unless you have some ultra-sexy fabric the sticks to the body, hehe ;)

Beholder
07-07-2003, 12:16 PM
artistx - I read you. On it.

fist - There are about 3 different versions of the breasts, and right now, the least distracting is the current clothed version and since I'm focusing on muscle structure at this phase "least distracting" is a good thing. Of course, phases shift... :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.