PDA

View Full Version : Choosing notebook for MAYA

Boobee Wong
05-04-2002, 06:35 AM
:wip: Hi guys,

I am gonna buy a notebook, I mainly work in Maya, Mirai & Shake. At the moment, I prefer Dell Inspiron 8200, 1.6Mz intel MP4 CPU, 512M Ram, 30G HD and GeForce 4 Go 64M display card + 15" UXGA 1600 * 1200.

Which display card is faster, Geforce 4 GO or Radeon 7500 mobility? Which one is more suitable in running 3D applications?

My budget is around US$2000-2500. Please advise.

Thanks a lot!!:thumbsup:

ZrO-1
05-04-2002, 12:43 PM
Dell has a new Inspirion model out now that uses the Quadro4Go. It's basically the same system as the inspirion 8200 but with the mobil quadro instead of the geforce. If I bought a notebook for 3D work that is the system I'd buy. It's much nicer than the fujitsu-siemens laptop workstation.

Sieb
05-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Im with Zr0-1, consider the Quadro4 Go from Dells Precision series, thats what you should really be using as opposed to gForce.

Hall9k
05-05-2002, 02:52 AM
I've been considering to buy a notebook too.
Perhaps this one:

http://www.discountpcsales.com/specifications/mtech5600.htm

LCD 15" SXGA+ Active Matrix Display
VID ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500 64MB DDR
CPU Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 256KB on-die / 512KB on-die Cache
RAM 256 MB 266MHz PC2100 DDR [Expandable to 1024 MB]
HDD 20.0/30.0/40.0 GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
ROM 24X Max./ 8X Max. DVD Detachable CD-ROM Drive

My concern is about the Ati Mobility Radeon 7500 card & its drivers, because I want to work mainly with Maya. Please, anyone having this card on his laptop could comment about if there's any problem with this combination?

Thanks
:)
(forgive my bad english, please)

KayosIII
05-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Two things :) I have heard a lot about ATI's OpenGL drivers not being up to scratch.... I suggest finding out where the latest drivers are at before buying one of these Accelerators.

Secondly here is a bit of a discussion Geforce Vs Quadro 4 with Mirai here
http://www.cgchat.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=5265

Bigeye
05-05-2002, 07:15 PM
Hi Boobee,

Please call Jacky Leung! He has bought the notebook for running 3D software. It seems quite good. You could send me a private message in here!

Pianne(classmate):p

ZrO-1
05-05-2002, 07:38 PM
This is a little OT since this thread is about laptops but since it's up now anyway. Here's the basic rundown on the history and differences between the GeForce and Quadro cards/chips from Nvidia.

Up untill the GeForce4 4x00 series of cards (NV25 core) The GPUs of the quadro and GeForce were exactly the same. They both used the NV17 core. The only thing that seperated them was the openGL-enhanced drivers for the Quadro. What kept people from using the Quadro drivers on their GeForces was a simple matter of a few switched resistors on the card itself. People found a work-around in the SoftQuadro, which let people use the Quadro drivers found in the Nvidia unified driver package. Others had found the resistors and through trial and error found out where to move them to make the OS detect the card as a Quadro. Both solutions worked since the GPU was actually the same.

When Nvidia released the GeForce4/Quadro XGL cards there was now a difference in the cores. THe GeForce4's had a NV25 stamp on their GPUs, and the Quadros had a NV25GL stamp on their GPUs. This suggests that the Quadro actually has some hardware difference (which Nvidia claims are GL enhancements) to the core. The difference seems to be supported since users can't run SoftQuadro on the 4's. I beleive I read somwhere that the moving of resistors on the board will make the change, same as before, but I can't be 100% sure about that so don't take my word for it.

That's the short and sweet of the story between the GeForce and Quadro series from Nvidia.

Boobee Wong
05-05-2002, 09:01 PM
:thumbsup: Hi ZrO-1, KayosIII, Sieb, Hall9K

Thanks for your comments & info.

I agreed the one with Quadro 4 Go would be my dream machine. I checked out Dell website of Hong Kong, there is no M5 (notebook with Quadro 4 Go) available at the moment. Still have to wait ......

However, is there any review about the difference bewteen Geforce4 go and Quadro 4 Go in running 3d applications like Maya or Mirai? Because the price diiference between these two models is quite large. Is the Quadro 4 Go worth US$1000 more than the Geforce 4 Go? Thanks!

epatnor
05-05-2002, 11:29 PM
Isn't the name Dell M40 Workstation notebook? :rolleyes:

Search for that... :thumbsup:

Oops! It's M50 now! Clip from Dell:s website:

Workstation Power, Notebook Mobility

NEW Dell Precision Workstation M50
nVidia, Quadro™4 500 GoGL, 64MB, VGA

Now from $3,399
[Save $200]
Limited time offer.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/products/series_precn_desktops.htm

Cheers!

fango
05-08-2002, 09:06 AM
i have an insp 8100 with the radeon 64 ddr on it. Maya runs very well, but i did had some driver issues at first (funky hulls, casual freezes) . so don t get an ati if you don t feel like manually debugging your vid card drivers.

Hall9k
05-08-2002, 10:45 PM
Thanks Fango; so, you fixed those weird behaviors debugging your video card drivers?
Please, could you explain it in detail?

Thanks!

(I'm affraid Ati is my option, cos the laptop I can buy has got it - I wish it to have Nvidia mounted, but... :hmm: )

ZrO-1
05-08-2002, 11:20 PM
The ATI 7500 and GeForce4 Go 440 both perform about the same in gaming benchmarks. So you should get close to the same performance in Maya on both of them (although both would do worse than the Quadro4 GoGL). I'd just trust the GeForce4 more since it's basicaly the same hardware as the Quadro4 GoGL. It seems to me that ATI has had to go through several driver versions before they have full stability and performance on their Radieon series of cards....Hey wait a sec, are they Elsa???;)

macoy
05-09-2002, 12:46 AM
hey, although I don't use maya, i use xsi on my inspiron 8100, geforce 2 32M DDR, it runs smoothly, the 8200 is great, one of my friends got one recently with geforce 4 64M DDr, he used it for games only, what a waste!!!!

there's the benchmark out there now saying that even if u change the resistor and turn ur geforce4 to "quadro", the perfomance is the same, so there IS a hardware difference there.

quadro has hardware overlay which helps a lot in maya like the paint effects and stuff like that. but if u dont have the money or u dont wanna spend so much money on it, u can go for the geforce4, it works.

and BTW, dont go for the 1600x1200, the type will be too small to read on a 15'' LCD. go for a enhanced one though, they said it's gonna be better contrast, shorter response time....good luck

P.S. Boobee, I am going to HK in July, maybe we can meet, euh?:love:

skygunner
05-11-2002, 06:04 PM
Has anyone had any luck with the 32 MB ATI mobility radeon with Maya? I wonder what the difference is between that and the 64mb version aside from the extra 32 mb of memory.

I always thought extra video ram helped more with 2d calculations than 3d calculations. does anyone know?

thanks,

-skygunner

ZrO-1
05-14-2002, 01:36 PM
The 64meg Mobility Radieon is a newer generation GPU.

More video RAM helps in all calculations, but it has more of an impact in 2D since it has the most direct effect on the resolution/color depth you can display at. Oh, and don't forget all computer graphics are really 2D ;) .

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.