PDA

View Full Version : Character: Mr. Pill

lerpiedood
07-01-2003, 06:30 AM
Hello there. I am working on a character for a short film called "pillz". I'd like critiques on the model, design, wireframe, and in the future I'd like critiques on texturing, lighting and animation. So far I have his main torso,"pill part" of him done, and also the eyeballs as well. Soon he will have arms and legs.

Software used: Lightwave 7.5
Modeling time: about 1 hour 38 mins
Polys: 525

here's a render
http://www.qone12.com/~lerpiedood/MrPill_01.jpg

and here's the wire
http://www.qone12.com/~lerpiedood/MrPillWire_01.jpg

erilaz
07-01-2003, 08:12 AM
Apart from fixing the eyelids to form around the eyes correctly, it's coming along well.

What kind of feel are you going for with this character? It doesn't seem to have much personality yet. Actually, it kind of freaks me out like those porcelain dolls.

I'd like to see the lower part of the pill transparent so you can see some of the powder inside. That would give it a really good feel.

I hope this helps!

maxmare
07-01-2003, 12:10 PM
I agree with Erilaz on the lower body being transparent, I would look very cool.
The thing that freaks me is the mouth, at the moment it looks like a big nostril and I am hoping not to see him talk through that. Maybe you could model him two nostrils as you did the ears and the mouth is the lower tip/edge of the upper section that bends and waves imitating the lips when talking.
But then again, it's only an idea.

lerpiedood
07-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks for your critiques. I too would like to add a transparent bottom. But I can't seem to find a way to add in a bunch of little palls easily. Maybe I could add some particles with collision detection and the particles are little yellow balls.

I see what you mean in that the mouth resembles a nose a bit. I could add in a little nose. And the holes that you take for ears are actually holes that the arms will extend from.

He'll have lots of character when I animate him because I am planning on having him be a anti depressant with mood swings.

lerpiedood
07-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Ok I gave him a nose. How's this?
http://www.qone12.com/~lerpiedood/MrPill_02.jpg

lerpiedood
07-02-2003, 12:47 AM
Well, not happy with how this pill was turning out. I went back to my old model. Now I'm going to remodel hands and shoes, then start rigging.
http://www.qone12.com/~lerpiedood/MrPill_03.jpg

Lukashi
07-02-2003, 02:54 AM
yah i like the last one too, have u tried giving him pure black eyes instead of the pixar look?

jrwells
07-02-2003, 03:11 AM
I deffinately think this model is much better, the old one had to much work done on the eyes, and it gave too much of a human quality to something that should be cartoonish.

I would really like to see a brand name stamped onto the pill itself, maybe along the side. It would give it an authentic "pill" look. I would also like to see the pill when it talks, because right now the mouth is not doing it for me, and I hope it works out better when it is animated.

While the hands and feet obviously add to the cartoonish quality (which is a good thing) they are very unoriginal. I would like to find a person more creative than me to take this style of cartooning to the next level. Maybe all I am looking for is a little originality, like boots that reflect what type of pill (ie if it is anti-allergies maybe he would wear hiking boots to show he hangs out doors a lot, anti-depressant/clownshoes).

lerpiedood
07-02-2003, 04:12 AM
Hehe yeah, I'm planning on modeling him some cool shoes, and remodeling the hands. Anyways Mr Pill gots balls
http://www.qone12.com/~lerpiedood/MrPill_05.jpg

mattmos
07-02-2003, 04:42 AM
Take away a third of those balls and it will look sweet.

jrwells
07-02-2003, 05:44 AM
The balls look a little funky to me. Are they going to be set to move around as he moves? I think the problem I am having with them is that they don't look random enough, maybe all they need is a texture, but I think they may work better if a bit smaller. and maybe two colors, like yellow and purple, adds a little flavor to the picture.

lerpiedood
07-02-2003, 06:07 AM
Hmmm I like the yellow and purple idea. I'm still working on the balls. I made them quickly by doing point clone, but I am planning to redo them with particles, that way they'll jiggle around when he moves, and collided with each other and the inside of the pill better.

paintbox
07-02-2003, 12:55 PM
This last model looks much better than the blue one for sure. The little balls are a great add-on, and it would really stand out once animated.

I go along with jrwells on both points (the texture/size/color of the little balls) and the hands/feet being more an extension of the pills character.

The idea of a talking anti-depressent is really cool, looking forward to an animation.

halogenic139
07-02-2003, 11:20 PM
lookin goodm the only thing i hav to say is that he looks too shiny and glossy. real pills dont look like porcelain.

i think you should drop the specular level of him a bit

maxmare
07-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Maybe also as you are making this guy in a toon mood, why don't you make the spheres inside be tetraedra or polyedra, with multiple facets with a shiny material on them so you get a randomly pattern of highlights inside him when it moves. That would also decrease the polygon count in your character.
Just a thought. Like it so far.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.