PDA

View Full Version : Underwater city WiP

PencilEater
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
This is a quick sketch of underwater ruins of an ancient civilization. This is my first time painting underwater art,so if you have some advices please write them here. And if you see any other mistakes(maybe with the composition,or something else) write them too

http://img.wklej.org/images/free/2009/02/12/741c0f35af2a0e9cd59a4f4af49f92.jpeg

jedras
02-12-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure what is the scale of these things, I'd try to put any human being there. And think of some small details showing how complicated the structure of a city is.
I like these colors.

Cati
02-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Uuu... like the colours too. The background definately has a watery look but the foreground doesn't look like underwater to me. Perhaps you've meant it to be that way.

When you're painting underwater you'll have to remember that the direction of the light is very important.
Control the values. Logically your foreground should be a lot darker in a natural underwater light because the shape of your surface light suggests a singular point of light. Above the surface we may have many lighsources (the sun, the sky, lightbulbs) but underwater - there's only one light - the surface. The water swallows the light and there's very little ambient light available (there is some of course but the deeper you go the less of it is available). As you've already chosen the lightsource to be behind the diver - there can't be another lightsource here in the front from another angle unless there's artificial light available. Just change the gradient of the surface to suggest the whole surface is the source of the light. Light upwards and dark downwards.

You also might want to add some life to the ruins.. the crabs etc., corals, plants and fish make home in everything that's been under water for a while. The foreground needs something to look at.. otherwise the composition is ok in my eye.

Hope this helps you out at this stage of planning. ;-)

PencilEater
02-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Uuu... like the colours too. The background definately has a watery look but the foreground doesn't look like underwater to me. Perhaps you've meant it to be that way.

When you're painting underwater you'll have to remember that the direction of the light is very important.
Control the values. Logically your foreground should be a lot darker in a natural underwater light because the shape of your surface light suggests a singular point of light. Above the surface we may have many lighsources (the sun, the sky, lightbulbs) but underwater - there's only one light - the surface. The water swallows the light and there's very little ambient light available (there is some of course but the deeper you go the less of it is available). As you've already chosen the lightsource to be behind the diver - there can't be another lightsource here in the front from another angle unless there's artificial light available. Just change the gradient of the surface to suggest the whole surface is the source of the light. Light upwards and dark downwards.

You also might want to add some life to the ruins.. the crabs etc., corals, plants and fish make home in everything that's been under water for a while. The foreground needs something to look at.. otherwise the composition is ok in my eye.

Hope this helps you out at this stage of planning. ;-)

Thank you for a really all-embracing reply:] I will darken the foreground to make it looks more hmmm gloomy and weird. And the life on it...First I wanted to paint dead bottom, but now I think it could be a good idea,because the foreground looks dull...ok, thanks very much for the advices:]

I'm not sure what is the scale of these things, I'd try to put any human being there. And think of some small details showing how complicated the structure of a city is.
I like these colors.

That's a good idea, I will add a diver there. I'm still adding some details there;] thanks for reply

PencilEater
02-13-2009, 01:26 PM
I've darkened the foreground,added a diver and marked the place where the plants and fish will be( the left down corner of the image)

http://img.wklej.org/d/44cc

wo0lF
02-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Nice progress!

LogicLost
02-13-2009, 09:17 PM
This reminds me some of the 'Aliens' structures :)

I like the colours and the ship in background, also I think it will turn great when it's finished :applause:

ps. I dont think I'm skilled enough to criticise :shrug:

mosoul
02-13-2009, 09:25 PM
impressive steampunk design :thumbsup:

Eplekongen
02-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Very nice, the small bubbles are really good, you get the feeling of it being underwater at once. Nice design of the ship as well. How large a of a colour range are you planning? Might be interesting to use some far out there colours like pink or purple to give some mood to the image.

One thing to critizice, I get the feeling that the left part of the image, the part that is closest, looks like it is really close. As if it was the frame of a window looking out to the ocean.

PencilEater
02-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Very nice, the small bubbles are really good, you get the feeling of it being underwater at once. Nice design of the ship as well. How large a of a colour range are you planning? Might be interesting to use some far out there colours like pink or purple to give some mood to the image.

One thing to critizice, I get the feeling that the left part of the image, the part that is closest, looks like it is really close. As if it was the frame of a window looking out to the ocean.

I'm going to repaint this structure in the foreground,naybe the whole image...I don't like it anymore:P

PencilEater
02-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I think that a good idea whould be to add some colors to it...what do you think? By adding an another light source I will destroye the mood...so maybe I'll change the color of ship's lights?

http://img.wklej.org/images/free/2009/02/15/8146a88f06c5398b5e4de0d37be174.jpeg

jedras
02-15-2009, 06:22 PM
oh, that was a good move ! :)
I like the composition much more now, the feeling of depth of space is much better.

dodgeOrBURN
02-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Your revised composition is a great improvement. I look forward to seeing where you go with this piece. Keep up the good work!

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2009, 12:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.