PDA

View Full Version : Academy of Arts ONLINE?

forbirds
02-12-2009, 01:32 AM
I am currently attending the Minneapolis College of Art Design in Minneapolis. It's definitely a great school, but I don't like the area very much. I want to move to Washington and attend school online and I've heard that the Academy of Arts is a great school. I wanted to know if anyone attended this school full-time taking only online classes and how their experience with this was. Also, are there any other reputable schools that offer the ability to attend classes completely online? I'm looking for a BA but I'm also considering an Associates Degree. I haven't decided on a major, but I was thinking either Illustration, Graphic Design, Fashion Design, or Interior Design.

Michael5188
02-12-2009, 02:59 AM
I'll just offer my two cents. It's not that the program is bad exactly, it's just in my opinion it is entirely overpriced if you take the classes all online. You really won't recieve the attention and instruction you deserve for the money you are paying.

hampsty
02-12-2009, 03:49 AM
Firstly, when you take online class I think you tend to miss out interacting with your instructors and classmates live... Also, there are a lot of classes available on site that are not available online too.

Another thing with online class is that you miss out the workshops as well, which are free! That said, there's a lot of things that are better on site that online. There are very few very good instructors online as well compared to on site. But it depends, I have had great instructors online before and it never affected me badly, except again students don't exactly interact with each other very well online.

The good thing about online classes are that sometimes you do learn a lot more there compare to on site (again, depending on instructors and the course materials), and also you are spared the insane lab fees/ additional fees stuff.

http://community.livejournal.com/aac/215630.html

ThreeDViking
02-12-2009, 01:47 PM
I applied for information from them several months ago, and I was extremely impressed by their courses and online setup. However, as mentioned above, the classes were very expensive, and well out of my price range.

forbirds
02-13-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure but I think MCAD is more expensive? It's

Tuition: $28,200
Fees: $200
But it's also angering because there are a lot of separate things students need to buy that isn't provided for already such as drillbits, other tools, etc etc.

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2009, 02:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.