PDA

View Full Version : which gfx card?

KillMe
06-30-2003, 11:19 PM
ok with lw about to drop in on my door step any day i been wondering what would be a good card to buy for it - at the moment my home machine has geforce 4 ti 4400

now not wanting to spend a fortune already broke buying lw but would liek a card that can handle lots of poly while modeling and not slow down to much o might stretch abit to get a good oen if nessary

also while i got people attensions i got a good selection of free plugs from teh internet wheich i been using on teh college machines but what you people things the best commercial plugs are?

Steve Warner
06-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Plugins:

Well, for modeling, Rounder is pretty fantastic. So are the Polas plugins. And the commercial plugins from PICTRIX look great.

For Layout, the Evasion plugins are fantastic, with X-DOF being at the top of the list. I think Worley's plugins are outstanding, even though some of them are outdated. G2, especially, will change the way you work with LightWave. Happy Digital also has some terrific plugins that are very reasonably priced.

And don't pass up Eki's Mod Pak and Eki's Plug Pak. Both are excellent values. :thumbsup:

Steve

milqman
07-01-2003, 12:58 AM
excuse me but, what is G2?

Steve Warner
07-01-2003, 02:22 AM
Hi milqman,

I hope you don't mind, but it's easier to just point you to the site than explain it. :)

http://www.worley.com/G2/g2_main.html#top

KillMe
07-01-2003, 12:47 PM
thanks i'll check them out - no thoughts on graphics cards?

i heard ther were some probs with the lw and quadro cards is this true should i avoid them?

manfriday
07-01-2003, 02:17 PM
I have the GF4200 and it works great with LW.
I dont know that I would fork over the cash for a qudro card unless you have plenty of the stuff lieing about the place.
Besides, once ya do get a GF 4 card youcan do the soft quadro thing on it and get a good deal of the quadro functionality out of your GF4 card.

MattClary
07-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Actually, he HAS a Geforce 4 already. I'd just stick with that for LightWave. I bought a 3D Labs VP 970 and can't tell a huge difference between that and my old GF 4 TI4200.

manfriday
07-01-2003, 03:22 PM
damn ADD got the best of me again. ;)

<-- cannot read.

sorry

Rabid pitbull
07-01-2003, 05:42 PM
dont forget the acs4 plugin, it is awesome!! :applause: Also Lukasz has told me that the quad rig will be done any day now. :thumbsup:

http://acs.polas.net/acs/

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.