PDA

View Full Version : Rendering artifacts with mia portal light

revert
02-11-2009, 08:23 AM
My main light is a mia portal light, when i enable visible in render, i get a lot of artifacts when i render as seen in the attached image, bottom left corner of the window, below the bath, left middle of the counter top. Turning off the option fixes this. Anyone know why this is happening?

wurp
02-11-2009, 10:07 AM
looks like either glossy reflections/arealights with not enough samples or it's the architectural shader with its lame default setting, if you go into the optimization tab under the reflection section there is a parameter called "cutoff" currently set to 0.01, which means it will ignore samples that are contributing less than 1% to the final image, it can cause a lot of artifacts if you have very weak reflections in some areas.

revert
02-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the info. Adjusting the cutoff parameter alone got me 90% of the way there. I wasn't aware of that issue but it's good to know now.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2009, 02:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.