PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that hates the new IK/FK Blend in Maya 5?

cgcreator
06-30-2003, 09:58 PM
It sounds like a really good idea, but they really should have an option to turn the creation of this off. Sometimes it does some really funky things to my rigs, like flip the bones over, and I know itís not my rig because I saved it back to 4.5 and applied a regular IK to it and it works just fine. Sorry just had to blow off a little steam ARRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

ajsfuxor
07-01-2003, 03:14 AM
well, i don't mind it at all, although i haven't used it too much yet (I'll get back to you in about two months after i have finished some more animtion)...but I am a little stuck on something.

Lets say that you have a simple arm setup with an IK. I animate in IK, then i switch the IK Blend to 0, so its in FK. Then I animate in FK. Sweet. Then i switch the the blend back to 1 so im back in IK mode now. So i do a little more animation in Ik, so that sweet. Now if i want to go back to FK mode, my FK arms are way off somewhere else. There is an option to more the IK Handle to the FK chain. Is anyway i can snap the FK Chain to the IK?

Also...is there any differenece between just setting keys on the joints and IK, as opposed to using the set FK/IK Key?

(As i said, still giving it a workout!)

Thanks

mads_tuxen
07-01-2003, 08:10 AM
I find that they dont update as well as the old iks when you parent or constrain the ik-handles and then animate the root-joint. But i think its a good idear, but i would like to experiment some more with it to make new workflows.

Mads :)

HotBox
07-01-2003, 09:26 AM
keith_e_lackey

There is a way to disable the IK/FK control in maya 5

If you go to the skeleton dropdown there is an option called Enable IKFK control, uncheck this and it does not happen

Doogie
07-01-2003, 06:17 PM
I'm not liking it much either. I really can't find a use for it. There's no way to attach the special "IK/FK visible stuff" to a control object. The worst part is with the IK/FK enabled it is screwy with constraints. So I keep it disabled.

Could someone give an example of their workflow w/ Maya 5's IK/FK?

I think IK should be replaced with a newer system, but not until it's been thoroughly tested (at least more so than the IK/FK switch)

-Paul

muckywetnoodle
07-02-2003, 08:17 AM
I just ran into this problem today as well. It seems to work if you enable IK/FK switching after you set up your solvers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.