PDA

View Full Version : Animation 3D: Guy and a gun

4saken
06-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Hello everyone !

I'm posting here a little animation that I did in 3 days for a class at the German Filmschool supervised by Roger Wilson.
We actually had 4 days for this little project but I was able to get it done in 3 days.
I know it is not perfect but I'm satisfied with it, since this is the first time I animated something in 3D.

The whole animation was inspired by a flash from a friend of mine.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

http://www.cosmicarts.f2s.com/guy.gif

Guy and a gun Divx 5.03.avi (http://www.cosmicarts.f2s.com/guy.and.gun.avi)

Goro
07-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Nice! Three days! Thats one day faster than me:)
I see some timing problems. But I have them in my little movie too:)
well done!

:thumbsup:

4saken
07-02-2003, 12:34 PM
come on people, over 250 views and only one reply ?
gimme some feedback please

UnlikelyCorny
07-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Goro
Nice! Three days! Thats one day faster than me:)

It's not a race: 'in how many days can we make an animation'.

There are so many timing, rigging, and general animation errors in this clip that a few more days of work may have been a good idea.
Sorry to be so direct but the way the character jumps, handles the gun, has weird floaty unnessesary movements etc etc. is def not convincing. The gun for instance does not fall on the floor, it suddenly acts as a helicopter and floats down.....And God knows what direction the bullit is taking or what comes down from the sky....

I don't think you need feedback to improve this one, you just need to work on it a bit more....

UnlikelyCorny
07-02-2003, 06:01 PM
http://www.dalnet.se/~tudor/download/testrun2.avi

Check this one from
cgtalkthread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72984)

Not a 100% beautifull hop, but convincing enough

4saken
07-02-2003, 08:11 PM
ok dude, I dont think you got the picture !
it was a 4day project. it had to be done in that time, no matter how it looks, it just has to be done. or else you wount pass that class. I know all about the problems. and I also wrote that in my first post.
I wanna see you do storyboard, animatic, modelling, setup, rigging, timing, animation and compositing in 3 days, then we talk again.
I know I could have spend more time on it, I probably would have if I had the time. but there wasnt the time.
so think about that next time before you rip something like that apart.

UnlikelyCorny
07-02-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by 4saken
ok dude, I dont think you got the picture !.............................
...............................so think about that next time before you rip something like that apart.

I'm sorry I have obviousely insulted you and that was not my intention at all.
But, in defence of myself, you have posted your clip under finished work and you ask for responses on that basis.
This forum is not your classroom and there is no timelimit here. You may not have been allowed to continue working on it for your project deadline, but you could have done that before you posted it here.
You also show pride having done the job in three days and satisfaction with the result. It is than not weird if people judge wether that satisfaction is, in their view, justified.

Again, slagging off for slagging off sake was never my intention, neither was it to insult your bave first attempt in 3D animation. If that is what you think, I appologize for allowing that assumption to be a possible result of my post.

your 'dude',

Talos
07-02-2003, 08:47 PM
inspired??!??! more like copyed :annoyed:

Tudor
07-02-2003, 09:25 PM
Oh darn.. Not that animation of mine ;)
the jump is now 16 frames.. Should drop it to 12.. The start of the run has a bad position etc.. Only took about 30 minutes to animate though..

And about the animation.
UnlikelyCorny is right. There are some major timing issues here.
Don't get mad at him for commenting on it. Get working on improving it, and learn lots during the process. That's how we all learn.

Get 'The animators survival kit'. I have it.
check freetoon.com . I'm there all the time.
keithlango.com Great pose to pose animation tutorial.
And I work as an animator, and I have to produce atleast 25 seconds a week.. It is a difficult art to master and you never learn it all.

Originally posted by UnlikelyCorny
http://www.dalnet.se/~tudor/download/testrun2.avi

Check this one from
cgtalkthread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72984)

Not a 100% beautifull hop, but convincing enough

mattregnier
07-02-2003, 09:26 PM
ok dude, I wanna see you do storyboard, animatic, modelling, setup, rigging, timing, animation and compositing in 3 days, then we talk again.

so think about that next time before you rip something like that apart.

Last time I checked this was a professional board. You are looking for feedback. Before you fire off a rant like that, think about who you are talking to...

I wholeheartedly agree with corny that there are quite a few things to be fixed in your animation. Most obvious is the timing/pacing/weight of your character. All of us have been under deadlines, so the fact that you turned this out in four days means absolutely nothing to most of us. It's like one of those posts where the 12 yr old kid has to mention he's 12. You won't find any sympathy here, only a good, solid, and honest critique.

If you want to rant, go waste the effort on someone who cares, if not try to find that 'professional' attitude/atmosphere we are trying to promote here.

4saken
07-02-2003, 09:37 PM
just wanna let you folks know that it's not my intention to piss anyone off here.
but just want to say, it's most important to finish on time. for all you professionals you should know that better than me.
I should probably written that I want to show you guys my work and that I dont need c&c since I allready know what should be changed.
I would change it if I had the time. but there isnt...
so many other projects going on here.
just one thing. it's kind of sad that most people dont care about what somebody did in a specific amount of time. that's what most of our students here at the german film school have to fight with. since our 6 semester studies fit into only 2 years it's not always possible to tune on every tiny little bit. people compare 3min movies that were done in only 1 month with movies that were done in 6 months or even more. it's just not the best way to look at it.
just my opinion on that....

mattregnier
07-02-2003, 09:41 PM
I totallly agree with you on that point 4saken time = money, and unfortunately time is what leads to some things being released with flaws, there are many examples of this, and it is even harder knowing what the flaws were and then having to deal with letting them go, since you're under a timeframe. But, the upside is now that the project is over you can (in your spare time) at home tweak the things you weren't so happy with. :thumbsup:

4saken
07-02-2003, 09:47 PM
I'm probably not gonna work on that specific project anymore.
but I'm looking forward to my solo project next semester. I'll have to do a 1-3min 3d short within 6 months all by myself.
I'll probably be doing a 2dfilm/3d live action shot.
it'll be a robot tearing apart a room or something like that. not final on this yet.
but I'll be animating alot. I hope to improve my skills there and prove all people out there that I can do something nice within time ;)

UnlikelyCorny
07-02-2003, 11:44 PM

just one thing. it's kind of sad that most people dont care about what somebody did in a specific amount of time. that's what most of our students here at the german film school have to fight with. since our 6 semester studies fit into only 2 years it's not always possible to tune on every tiny little bit. .........just my opinion on that....

Believe me after university, you'll have to fight a whole lot more. Play while you can, don't want to be a grown up to soon...........

(or do I sound a bit like an old fart saying this?)

The (old) Dude

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.