PDA

View Full Version : Need help solving skinning problem

ThiagoCrawford
02-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi,

well I ve made my character, she is made up of several pieces so there is a small problem of pieces going through each other...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbUafISxZVE

See the shoulders and the jacket. The elbow also has a similar problem. It's been really frustrating trying to get this to work well, did I do something wrong? Like should I try and make the whole character 1 single mesh and then skin?

I guess the big question is how do I go about getting this model to work really well? How do you do it?

Sorry about the video clip being small. and of poor quality but you can still see the problem I hope :surprised

ThiagoCrawford
02-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Anyone? :cry:
I'd really like to start trying out some solutions asap :cry:

Coyote12
02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Actually your problem is relatively simple to solve but will take a good deal of time to fix. Essentially you have different weight values on one vertex for the jacket and then the piece underneath it has a different value or is assigned to different joints.

They would need to have the same value and the same weighting to the same joints for them to both move the same. There are scripts that allow you to select one vertex, copy it's weights value and paste that value to a different vertex. Look on Highend 3d for a copy weights tool.

It takes a lot of time to fix weighting and some times in the end you have to have a corrective shape to fix it. But first see if you can fix it in weighting and then is it still happens you will need corrective shapes. Weighting should fix most of what you see.

Also rather than start merging this into one mesh just start removing the polys that are underneath other objects. If that jacket stays on the whole time and the character does not take it off then you do not need the polys that are underneath. Make your file more effecient for animation.

ThiagoCrawford
02-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks coyote, I m gonna go find that tool and go for round 2 trying to weight it properly
And I may remove some stuff that we'll never see, it's just that since I went through the trouble of making and texturing it I kinda thought maybe i could keep it without it causing much trouble :surprised

thanks again

MolemanSD7
02-11-2009, 07:56 PM
The other thing to consider is the topology of both the arms and jacket. If the vert's are not in the same location, even if they're weighted exactly the same, there could still be some passthrough. You could either remove the skin mesh under the jacket, or just paint it out with an alpha. Otherwise, yeah... just matching weights is your best bet.

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2009, 07:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.