PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical rigging challenge

Pages : [1] 2

Eela
02-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi Todd!
how is going? Are you planning any new challenge? any chance for March?
I could not take part to the last one, hope to have time for this one :)

Cheers,

Ila

RavenEye
02-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Awww, man. I thought this was a new challenge. Wouldn't mind doing a mechanical challenge. Anywho, when is the next challenge?

Eela
02-10-2009, 01:24 AM
May I look like Todd? I don't have beard, I'm pretty sure about that :D
Sorry, it's my fault, I probably opened a thread in a wrong place. I was impatient to know something about that.

Ila

twidup
02-19-2009, 02:57 AM
lol, glad you dont look like me...its scary enough being told I look like a bunch of musicians...most recently James Hetfield, which I still cant figure out how they saw that one.

Anyways, I am planning a new one, gotta find a good model for it first. I like the idea of a mechanical challenge actually, since we have been doing organics all the time.

It will probably be the first of April when it kicks off, mainly because of my up coming workshop and how busy things at work have been.

What is everyone intersted in doing...mech/robot, vehicle, machinery???

-todd

oferkapota
02-19-2009, 08:23 PM
I say Mechs, robots or machinery, not vehicles.

RavenEye
02-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Wouldn't mind doing a mech.

ilmostrog
02-19-2009, 08:58 PM
I would be interested in mech or vehicle.

Eela
02-19-2009, 09:36 PM
lol, glad you dont look like me...its scary enough being told I look like a bunch of musicians...most recently James Hetfield, which I still cant figure out how they saw that one.

Anyways, I am planning a new one, gotta find a good model for it first. I like the idea of a mechanical challenge actually, since we have been doing organics all the time.

It will probably be the first of April when it kicks off, mainly because of my up coming workshop and how busy things at work have been.

What is everyone intersted in doing...mech/robot, vehicle, machinery???

-todd

Look like a rock star is not to bad, there is something worse ;). Out of curiosity, what do your friends usually do in their spare time?!

Anyway, every kind of mechanical challenge is fine for me. Could be interesting to study a quadruped robot :) (I'm not really familiar with mech setup, It's a good opportunity to get more close).

Cheers

Ila

rikkiknight
02-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I wouldnt mind something with tracks, havnt had the chance to do that yet
Or maybe a 6 legged mech with crazy moving artillery?

Certainly wouldnt mind doing somekind of steampunk war machine! But I guess we would have to get lucky with models there to be so persific :)

trevorsommer
02-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Any of these suggestions would be nice. I personally would love to get may hands on this.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=728561

Rupesh1122
02-20-2009, 03:27 AM
I'm intersted in doing of machinery, robotic, vehicle and mechanical rigging.

chimchim5040
02-20-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm pretty new to Max, but I've been fascinated with the Steam Punk genre for quite awhile now...
I'm in the process of creating a steam-powered Cat robot, but I am having a hard time finding good tutorials for rigging gears, u-joints, hinges, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated..
I plan to enter as many challenges as I can to improve my skills, so count me in!

SeanC
02-20-2009, 04:38 PM
correct me if i am totally wrong, but i remember someone saying that the HMC Steampunk models were going to be used for a future rigging challenge. Anyone else recall seeing this?

twidup
02-21-2009, 12:02 AM
not sure about the steampunk one, Roberto and I had discussed it during the halloween comp last year, but most the modelers dont want to give up their models. Thats why most come from William Vaughn, as he is nice enough to give out free ones all the time.

I havent had time to work on modeling anything myself, trying to get some time, as I have a few ideas for things I want to try.

As for the friends questions, most either drink, watch movies, a few snowboard, a few are musicians. I have a family, so most of my time is spent with them, and watching movies....along with getting back in shape.

I am more intersted in seeing an intersting mech to rig, I have a great idea, just no time to model it(nor good design skills any more)

-todd

twidup
02-21-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm pretty new to Max, but I've been fascinated with the Steam Punk genre for quite awhile now...
I'm in the process of creating a steam-powered Cat robot, but I am having a hard time finding good tutorials for rigging gears, u-joints, hinges, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated..
I plan to enter as many challenges as I can to improve my skills, so count me in!

send the model, I will get it converted over to a couple formats and we can use it...then you can see how a bunch of others would rig it as well.

-todd

Eela
02-21-2009, 01:47 AM
Hi everybody,
I love the idea, I think that a Cat robot is pretty cool, quadruped, mech robot and I really love cats! In any case, thanks chimchim5040 and thanks to Todd to manage all :)

Ila

chimchim5040
02-21-2009, 01:55 PM
I will send the model eventually, but I'm bogged down in the details right now. A few WIP shots might be coming in the next week or two....

Dimich
02-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I'd love to participate in one of these challanges again. Please do make it happen. I would like to try and make this rig in Maya (I am in the process of learning it) and maybe after, for the fun of it, do something crazy with it in good ol' max:) Please, keep us informed!

kitayama
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
im still new to rigging but this sounds like alot of fun. I think it would be cool to do johnny 5 or something like these...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gamasutra.com/galleries/visual_art/tj_frame/TJFrame_work1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gamasutra.com/galleries/visual_art/tj_frame/work1.htm&usg=__ghUphqZIGfyg50fIAeJ746_kjXo=&h=485&w=512&sz=92&hl=en&start=11&um=1&tbnid=e-wwegGbaJYjmM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=131&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmechs%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG

http://www.igorstshirts.com/blog/conceptrobots/wrenchbot_concept_art.jpg

http://digitalapprentice.net/Community/components/com_fpss/images/Transformers2_SlideShowImage.jpg

Speedoo
02-26-2009, 11:44 AM
"Mechanical rigging challenge" sounds grt, may be i can utilize my free time...

DoubleSupercool
03-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey guys, I am not a rigger but I am getting into it a bit more and I would love to see how you go about rigging mechanical stuff. I hope this challenge gets off the ground so I can follow along with your WIP's :)

kanthscorpion
03-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm intersted in doing mechanical rigging. so that we can develop our techinical knowledge.
can anybody tell me the starting sate of the challange?.
any WIP images of the model

Eela
03-12-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm intersted in doing mechanical rigging. so that we can develop our techinical knowledge.
can anybody tell me the starting sate of the challange?.
any WIP images of the model

Hi,
glad to see that there'll be a lot of people who would like to take part in mech challenge :)
As wrote Todd in his latest post "It will probably be the first of April when it kicks off", you'll find it in the previous thread page.

Good luck

Ila

kitayama
03-12-2009, 11:25 PM
what other thread are you referring to?

Eela
03-13-2009, 02:02 AM
what other thread are you referring to?
I meant this thread, in the first page, fourth answer :)

kitayama
03-13-2009, 02:31 PM
roger that.

anoopak
03-13-2009, 02:37 PM
hi
I had been planning to do a mechanical rig for my demoreel for a long time.Hope this will be a chance to get enough inputs from the veterans.I would like to take part in the challenge.

shahabsy
03-24-2009, 07:13 AM
hey guys, I am also interested in challenge this time. looking forward for the date and Model to rig. :)

tommix
04-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi guys! This challenge looks so much interesting for me... I love mech creatures and animating them... :buttrock:

http://www.tommasosanguigni.it/images/3d/cham/mech_cham.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7nVxEoBQ_w

BPorter
04-14-2009, 04:50 AM
Ah! I hope something doesn't come up until next month so I have time to participate. The lizard looks awesome. The other jacked machine dude is a little intimidating, but I always love a good challenge.

Eaze
04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi guys, you can count on me to be in the challenge ! I'd love to do a mech setup :D

Finkle
04-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Hey guys! After rigging a few organic characters, I'm excited at the idea of rigging something mechanical. It'd be one heck of a learning experience, that's for sure! Definitely count me in this when it starts. :)

Keithtron
04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I love mechanical rigging. I'd so be down for this, but I don't think I'll have any time for it for at least a few months. If that changes though, I'm all over it!

TimForbes
04-28-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm keen as for a mech rigging challenge. just finalising the mech rigging cg workshop with todd, so it'd be good to apply the skills i learnt there to a different project:)

fusedgore
05-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I have a mech that you guys can try rigging if you want .Its the pic in the link

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dJdcw903qLg/SckUUklrvgI/AAAAAAAAAfg/WsG2fjAB_iE/s1600-h/robot.jpg

grantmoore3d
05-06-2009, 02:04 AM
So, any idea when this is going to actually start? Seems to have been in limbo for a couple months now...

JM-art
05-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Hi all, im interested in this too. Hope that soon this will go live.

Cheers riggers:beer: .

arctor
05-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Underwater Robot? (http://gizmodo.com/5242571/menacing-underwater-robot-reaches-out-and-touches-horrifies)

:)

LadyWraith
05-11-2009, 08:18 AM
:bounce:I have never Taken up any rigging challenge and would like this one to be my first, I think the Robot Chameleon is cute.....:thumbsup:

kitayama
05-12-2009, 02:43 AM
that under water robot looks like fun

Eela
05-13-2009, 12:04 PM
What about the mechanical cat we was talking about at the beginning of this thread?
I'm flat out at work in this days but it was an attractive idea to think about.

Cheers :)
Ila

twidup
05-13-2009, 08:33 PM
I do like the cat idea still actually. Lets plan for a July start to this one...that gives me about 6 weeks to either model it or find a model :)

it might start soon if the model is located/finished earlier too.

-todd

Eela
05-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Hi Todd!
glad to hear from you.
I'm so happy you have time to figure it out, something extra to do during winter time anyway ;)
Well, do you think to put gears, springs, bearing, pins and other mechanical component? it could be interesting to play with those, obviously if the model will be suitable for that.

Cheers,

Ila

twidup
05-14-2009, 07:01 PM
was sketching it out last night and was leaning towards a mecha-organic look to it, so it would have some shocks and wires along the neck system and in the stomach area, shocks connecting up all the joints to help control motion...so lots of soft body systems for wires too.

-todd

kitayama
05-14-2009, 11:48 PM
sounds like fun

TimForbes
05-15-2009, 01:46 AM
was sketching it out last night and was leaning towards a mecha-organic look to it, so it would have some shocks and wires along the neck system and in the stomach area, shocks connecting up all the joints to help control motion...so lots of soft body systems for wires too.

-todd

yeah, sounds awesome.

Mumm
05-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Sounds like fun sign me up. :beer:

grantmoore3d
05-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Excellent, July would be great timing for me to finish up a couple other projects and be ready for this one. Mechanical cat should be a fun challenge!

wamo
05-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Hopefully, i'll be in this challange.
Just got few seggestions : please show the Rigging start entry in Top Row, as i think Rigging challanges are more important than Modeling ones!! Another thing is that please show the Winner in Top Row again, that would make more interest for challangers.

twidup
05-18-2009, 04:32 PM
actually, the admins and I have been discussing this :) so once I make the announcement for the new challenge, it will get top rowed :) and the winner will get top rowed as well.

-todd

trevorsommer
05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Is this challenge going to be like the last one, spanning more then one month?

wamo
05-18-2009, 08:12 PM
actually, the admins and I have been discussing this :) so once I make the announcement for the new challenge, it will get top rowed :) and the winner will get top rowed as well.
That's it, thanks :)

JM-art
05-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Great news, i like the subject a lot.

Maybe is too much to ask...but the idea of having some parts moving around to define some hidden forms crossed my mind. I mean like transformers:cool:.
If not for this challenge...maybe for another?

Cheers!

chimchim5040
05-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I will send the model eventually, but I'm bogged down in the details right now. A few WIP shots might be coming in the next week or two....

I know... I know... LAME! The CatBot has turned into my final project for my 3D class. It's due on June 16th, so hopefully it will be good enough to post here. ;)

Eela
05-19-2009, 11:05 PM
I know... I know... LAME! The CatBot has turned into my final project for my 3D class. It's due on June 16th, so hopefully it will be good enough to post here. ;)

I didn't want to make any kind of pressure mentioning the mec-cat topic, but I really like the subject :) Anyway, it seems tha Todd is going to figure it out.

Good luck for your final project!

Cheers,
Ila

twidup
05-20-2009, 05:31 PM
yup, this will definately span a couple months.

rikkiknight
05-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Room for one more in this challenge? Im not sure how much time Im going to get... so might just participate on the side if thats ok. Not enter the actual running for gold and just post wip's maybe?

not too sure what "top rowed" means...but.....do you think there would be room for a thread for old winners ^^, like somekind of winners gallery that gets updated as new challenges finish and commence?

eyeayen
05-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I was reading this last night and saw you were looking to make a mechanical cat, I remember the imagery used for the Motorcycle & Scooter show ( in the UK ) last year and thought I'd post up some images I have of it.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x58/Flipz3D/Mechcat3.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x58/Flipz3D/Mechanicalcat1.jpg

They were created by Simon Roberts from Capitalize agency by taking components from different bikes and creating the Panther you see here.

I'm only just starting out with Maya so I won't be taking part in this but rigging fascinates me so I'll be watching what everyone does :D hope this gives some inspiration !

Eela
05-21-2009, 11:23 PM
wow...It's awesome..

vvkonline
05-22-2009, 12:49 AM
I will try to participate in this one too! Mech. quadruped sounds like a lot of fun!!!

anoopak
05-22-2009, 04:14 AM
glad to hear that the challenge will start from july.So now its time to get ready for the event we have been awaiting for a long time.The cat model looks perfect.Something like this will surely justify the sole purpose of the challenge and make it more interesting.

rikkiknight
05-22-2009, 10:27 AM
wow, very impressive!!

Dimich
05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Sweeeeeet.........:drool: I deffinately like, and if we create maybe some spaces in a similar design, to see some gears/pistons in there, some wires, etc. Would be isane to have all that moving while the character moves. Imagine the layers of detail for such a character :argh:

eyeayen
05-22-2009, 01:38 PM
No doubt if you do go that way the SteamPunk challenge could be a useful source of reference !

kprichard
05-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Count me in on this next rigging challenge. I am new to CG talk, so this would be a good way to get to know everyone. Oh, and hi everyone!

kitayama
05-22-2009, 05:26 PM
that cat looks cool. and HI back (^_^) welcome to cgtalk

giordi
06-02-2009, 05:04 PM
if it is possible i will try! i want find the gap between me and the boss of rigging

kitayama
06-05-2009, 06:38 AM
who is the boss of rigging?

ilmostrog
06-05-2009, 01:55 PM
hello everyone, I am up for this as well. I am a novice rigger at best but really enjoy it. looking forward to it.

Stankluv
06-05-2009, 02:48 PM
so I am reading through the thread and I am looking dilligently. Is there no model of a robot cat anywhere in existence that anyone here has?

Whereswaldo854
06-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey guys i have a mechanical spider ive been modeling, im not to great at rigging so anyone is welcome to help. I want have it all rigged, so animating wont be completly impossible lol.
if you spend a secon analyzing the model, i think you might be able to figure out how its going to work, but if you are confused at all, just let me know.

Heres the link to the max files, anyones welcome to take a shot, but just dont steal my model :'(

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UELL0VII

JM-art
06-05-2009, 05:50 PM
if it is possible i will try! i want find the gap between me and the boss of rigging

who is the boss of rigging?

Realy funny stuff, boss of rigging sound like lord of the rings (or riggs in this case :wavey: ) or master of puppets etc.

Maybe giordi refer to his boss at work, and the chance to be closer in rigging skills, but i cant be shure about that :shrug: .

Cheers.

giordi
06-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Realy funny stuff, boss of rigging sound like lord of the rings (or riggs in this case :wavey: ) or master of puppets etc.

Maybe giordi refer to his boss at work, and the chance to be closer in rigging skills, but i cant be shure about that :shrug: .

Cheers.

i explain bad my intention i want try this contest because i want find some ideas or ways to rigging a mesh like this
the bosses of rigging are the good rigger that i hope they will do this contest

phix314
06-08-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm in! Any updates on a challenge?

trevorsommer
06-29-2009, 11:27 PM
So is this thing going to happen in july?

kanthscorpion
06-30-2009, 09:10 AM
When is the challenge going to start ?
:bounce:
some bosy pls tell the start date, so many people are waiting here .

-Kanth

kitayama
06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
what he said :applause:

twidup
07-06-2009, 10:21 PM
as soon as I can get a model that has some challenges to it. I have been busy at work and havent had time to build it myself

So, if anyone has one they want to donate, let me know

-todd

Chanur
07-07-2009, 07:52 AM
When this challenge starts, dont hesitate to come over to 3D Paradise, i would love to advertise some of your rigging creations for my viewers to drool over. It can be anything from photos to videos.

Good Luck to everyone.

(Link to the site can be found in my signature)

pooby
07-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Why not link these Rigging challenges up to a modelling challenge, so that the winner of the modelling challenge gets to see his model Rigged and animated?
Kill 2 birds with one stone.

It could even be linked to all aspects. like texturing, and animation and lighting etc

anoopak
07-13-2009, 07:25 AM
sounds like a good idea.But is it really possible to initiate a modelling challenge for mechanical character in a short time???.If the forum leaders can make this happen it will be good.Its been a while since we started the discussion of a challenge .

giordi
07-13-2009, 09:29 AM
woooooow very good idea!!! we have to write to a moderator or admin!!!

RavenEye
07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Why don't we do a facial rigging mini challenge. Using the past modeling challenge models or winner model. That is if they allow us to use their model. Some people are picky about that kind of stuff. It will give us a nice little exercise while we wait for an awesome mechanical model.

TimForbes
07-15-2009, 11:02 PM
yeah, something like that sounds like a good idea. i'm pretty keen to do something and i really need to scratch up on my facial rigging.....but yeah, i dont have a model.

giordi
07-16-2009, 07:23 AM
ok i agree with facial rigging contest!

twidup
07-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Roberto and I have even discussed this before and thought it was a good idea...but trying to get the modeling challenge winners to give us a model has been near impossible, so normally I rely on a few friends. as you can tell by the post time, I have been working a lot so I havent had time to look for a model recently. if anyone knows of a head model to pass along, let me know

-todd

TimForbes
07-21-2009, 10:58 PM
there are a few head models here by William Vaughan. Not sure if it is chilled if we use them for a challenge or not, or we might need to contact the artist first?

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=580

cheers,
Tim.

twidup
07-23-2009, 08:58 PM
william has actually supplied several of the models in the past, like Kito the turtle

let me talk toa few modelers and see what I can get this week.

-todd

SeanC
07-26-2009, 12:46 AM
changed to PM..

I would be interested in doing a mini challenge.

twidup
08-16-2009, 08:22 PM
good news and better news...good news, "A Christmas Carol" is almost done so I will actually be able to dedicate a bit of time to the forum to get a new challenge running again soon.

and the better news.
I have been talking with Roberto, and sounds like we have a prtty good plan set in motion. We are going to be getting a few models from the "Queen of the Rocket Men" modeling challenge to rig, vehicles, charactes, etc. This will be our first challenge, these ahve to be animation friendly rigs, as they will be then handed over to animation and the fx war challenges for them to work with in the next part of a cross forum challenge.

-todd

RavenEye
08-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Awesome, I can't wait. Luckly I make animation friendly rigs as a profession. :buttrock:

anoopak
08-17-2009, 03:51 AM
That sounds cool.So there is going to be a lot of activities in the coming weeks.Looking forward to that.:thumbsup:

Nicholas-Silveira
08-17-2009, 03:15 PM
To bad there's no mechanical rig challenge.
Check out my mechanical scorpion.

(Demo Reel (http://www.youtube.com/user/NicholasSilveira))

--------------------
Nicholas Silveira
Rigger / Modeler
www.linkedin.com/in/nicholassilveira (http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicholassilveira)
Phone - 508-636-4350

rikkiknight
08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
awesome!!
Looking forward to seeing the results of this one! :bounce:

kprichard
08-17-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm ready to start too, can't wait.

ErikE
08-20-2009, 05:16 PM
sounds awesome

TimForbes
08-23-2009, 10:51 PM
yeah sounds great. looking forward to another rigging challenge.

giordi
09-02-2009, 11:54 PM
me too!come ooooon will be very very funny

RavenEye
09-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Looks like the voting has started for the HMC. Are we going to get the winners model to rig? My only concern is will they, the characters, be modeled for animation. Sometimes doing zbrush sculpts one can forget to make it animatable.

eyeayen
09-04-2009, 08:47 PM
:cry: no mechanical cat, that's a shame :sad:

giordi
09-05-2009, 12:00 AM
i hope that will od the meca cat after this...because it's so nice the idea of the cat

Carlo890
09-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Looks like the voting has started for the HMC. Are we going to get the winners model to rig? My only concern is will they, the characters, be modeled for animation. Sometimes doing zbrush sculpts one can forget to make it animatable.

ya agreed... I've seen some pretty awesome models, but the edge flow (or lack there of) makes it impossible to rig. I can't wait for this challenge to start though.

Nothingness
09-14-2009, 06:08 PM
I guess this is a rather annoyance when the challenge is too dependent of existing models.
The modeling challenge never has this problem, except that it might need concept drawings.

At this moment i'm awaiting a new modeling challenge, and have evolved my newly started steampunked dragon. It's a very nifty high detailed model that won't be easy to handle in rigging. In the end i'll be ending up into millions of polys un-smoothed.

Soon i'll have a large amount of time to have some 3d-fun and who knows, i might consider a mech-model for all you mech lovers out here. And why not investigate this mech-cat I've seen around.

but just wondering: are there limitations or poly-count-limits i should consider?
I hope i can provide a great model.

Nothingness
09-14-2009, 06:25 PM
I was reading this last night and saw you were looking to make a mechanical cat, I remember the imagery used for the Motorcycle & Scooter show ( in the UK ) last year and thought I'd post up some images I have of it.

They were created by Simon Roberts from Capitalize agency by taking components from different bikes and creating the Panther you see here.

I'm only just starting out with Maya so I won't be taking part in this but rigging fascinates me so I'll be watching what everyone does :D hope this gives some inspiration !

Do you have any other info on this?
If this should become a real model, it will for sure look totally different cause this concept is rather unrealistic. But i love the design of it and should be a nice starting point.

giordi
09-14-2009, 09:44 PM
If this should become a real model, it will for sure look totally different cause this concept is rather unrealistic. But i love the design of it and should be a nice starting point.

i hope! i would like to do a rigging contest

RavenEye
09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Me, personally I don't care if it is a million poly model or a 100 poly model. As long as you have good edge flow that resembles some kind of bone and muscle structure then I'm happy. But the down side of having a high poly model is that you will get a lot of pissed off animators coming your way. A million poly model will take up to much memory to animate in a timely manner. My suggestion is to make a lo end proxy model with the million poly model. So that the animators can work with the proxy and not deal with the high poly model.

Nothingness
09-14-2009, 10:54 PM
For an organic model i can totally agree with you. But for this model it's a mechanical one where you don't need skinning at all. You will still have a low refresh-rate and that's not really much fun, but a lower stand-in will help here.

BusterHymen
09-15-2009, 01:42 PM
I have been watching this thread as well waiting for someone to give up a model for a mechanical rigging challenge. I don't really have anything that fits other than a simple mech I was working on, but if you would like to use it I would love to see how someone else would rig it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2562/3923113190_c1e66dd5ff_o.jpg

Nothingness
09-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Very nice model BusterHymen!

only main remark i have, is that the ammunition-chambers are a bit too close to the back legs, limiting it's movements.
And maybe i'm wrong, but at the front leg, where the lower part of the leg is connected to the upper spring, it looks like the lower leg is rotated a bit more than that spring.
If you understand what i'm trying to say.

I'm just not sure if the rigging of this mech would be a real challenge. But that should be something for the riggers to decide.
I've already started on designing my mecha-cat and trying to make it a complex interesting challenge. But those things don't really design easily.

cheers

RavenEye
09-15-2009, 04:50 PM
I like the model. There looks like to be a lot of moving parts. I'm agreeing with Nothingness about the ammo pack. Then again that could be left for the animator to avoid. I would have to comb through the model itself to make a decision on that item. The ammo looks like a lofted surface. Is it a lofted surface? If it is, my suggestion is to make individual casing. I say this because then we can rig it move while the gun is firing. If it is a lofted surface then it would be an animated texture. It would be cool to see the ammo cartridges for the mini gun too. Overall, I think this is a good candidate for the mech rigging challenge. What says Todd and everyone else?

Since the winners have been announced for HMC. How is the rigging challenge with HMC going to work?

Nothingness
09-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Since the winners have been announced for HMC. How is the rigging challenge with HMC going to work?

To be honest, even if the challenge requires animatable characters, the end models never are. I really doubt there will be any rigging-ready characters shared.

Too bad it always goes like this.

giordi
09-15-2009, 10:44 PM
woooo this is incredible ahahaha 3 days ago we hadn't a model now two i think that if Nothingness want shere his model we have to do a little survey of 3 or 4 day for choos the model or better everyone can rig what they want but i don't know if we cna have two different mesh for a challenge..

however , nothinhgness how much time will you take the modelling of the cat?

Nothingness
09-15-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm not going to be optimistic, but i'm doing the model from scratch. I just started, and don't have too much time this week. So it doubt it would be finished before the end of next week.

I just have a few times to work on it this week, and only next week i have loads of time.

giordi
09-16-2009, 12:30 AM
are you speaking about 2-3 week of weating? for me should be ok wait your model.
oh i saw that the other model has a bug! look the weels of the leg can rotate. in this way this robot can go only in front and back

BusterHymen
09-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys really this is just a couple of evenings of playing with an idea I had, but I never finished and thought it might be usefull.

There are actually only about objects in this model because I have many of the objects grouped within objects. This could easily be managed by the rigger to have as much individual moving parts as they wanted.

looking at a side view I do see your point about the main ammo containers, but that too could be modified. The actual ammo for all three weapons are in fact 3ds max hose objects used as place holders.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2602/3923980025_6ee72ae140_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2634/3924766250_9e20118d80_o.jpg

giordi
09-16-2009, 12:44 AM
i love your model i would like really rig it also without a contest but you have to add a piece for spin the wheel in this way the robot can't steer. but i love this mesh

TimForbes
09-17-2009, 03:56 AM
yeah sweet model. would be keen as for this to be used for a mech rigging challenge. would even be keen to rig it regardless of wether there is a challenge for it or not;-)

BusterHymen
09-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Here is a link to download the model. It might not be that much of a challenge to rig, but I hope you enjoy.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NI0LIEJO

Nothingness
09-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Okay, i don't know where this is going, but it most likely will be going quite unorganized.
Maybe the forum leader should have his saying in this one so that there can be some consistancy in the rules and stuff.
Perhaps there is already a challenge setting up with other models - as was discussed with roberto.
Also, BusterHymes should clearly mention that this model is a 3dmax model. This is also quite annoying to riggers of other 3d packages. Without a version of 3d max they won't be able to easily convert them.

Anyway, no mather what will happen to the challenge, i'm still modeling my mecha-pussy and it's comming along more rapid than expected. already have a bit of the frame set up and did most of the engine.
I will so much love this model.

cheers all

arctor
09-17-2009, 05:38 PM
ooOOoo...nice!

yeah, an obj or FBX version would be awesome...

RavenEye
09-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Yes, please export the mesh as an obj or an fbx. Obj preferred

giordi
09-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Here is a link to download the model. It might not be that much of a challenge to rig, but I hope you enjoy.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NI0LIEJO

man we need the obj :)

BusterHymen
09-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Wow, I can't believe I spaced it and sent the Max file - sorry.

Here is the right file (obj).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JJLF8LHU

giordi
09-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Okay, i don't know where this is going, but it most likely will be going quite unorganized.
Maybe the forum leader should have his saying in this one so that there can be some consistancy in the rules and stuff.
Perhaps there is already a challenge setting up with other models - as was discussed with roberto.
Also, BusterHymes should clearly mention that this model is a 3dmax model. This is also quite annoying to riggers of other 3d packages. Without a version of 3d max they won't be able to easily convert them.

Anyway, no mather what will happen to the challenge, i'm still modeling my mecha-pussy and it's comming along more rapid than expected. already have a bit of the frame set up and did most of the engine.
I will so much love this model.

cheers all

i'm looking foward for see the finished model and the start of the contest!

anoopak
09-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Looking forward for your model to finish, nothingness.Meanwhile let me have a look at your model,BusterHymen.Thanks for sharing

RavenEye
09-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Now that we have a model. We should come up with some rules and timeline for the challenge.

Dimich
09-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Very nice! Finally some stuff is coming around:) I hav ea question: are we allowed to tweak the model a bit? Currently there is a problem that I see on the legs as the first and second joints are in line with each other which will create an unpleasant issue with the IK on them. Is it possible for it to be adjusted, or should we just do it ourselves?

jignesh1583
09-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Hmm.......... So finally something is about to shoot after some months of waiting......
Nice model though BusterHymen...Can't wait to see the model by nothingness...
Hope everything gets organized and then we have a challenge in our hands, after rigging organic characters for some years..these will be definitely challenging :)

TimForbes
09-21-2009, 04:31 AM
cheers for the model BusterHymen. gonna start straight away.

Nothingness
09-22-2009, 03:12 AM
too bad there is no coherency in this challenge section. Without any rules or goals you can't really talk about a challenge.

giordi
09-22-2009, 04:11 AM
ok try to do some rules ..

first of all i'm sorry but i think that we can't use the model of BusterHymen he shared the model . if will we use this model for the contest somebody could start the rigging before the starting of the challenge,
now i think that the best thing is wait the meca cat model from Nothingness
When the model will be finished we can contact a moderator or something else for start the contest, chose the duration and stuff like that .
what do you think about that?

Nothingness
09-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I've already got a large portion of the model finished. If it will be used for a real challenge, i could push it in really finishing it this week - like promised earlier.
The hard part of the model is to make all parts rather free of movement, and challenging at the same time.

I'd suggest people who wanna rig already, can live it up with the model already supplied.
I'll keep the progress of the model updated so you'll know it's not lagging or anything.

anoopak
09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
hi there,
I too agree with nothingness.Since the model from busterhymen was passed over long back We cant really consider that for the challenge.Its better to wait for the mecha cat to finish and by that time let our moderators come up with the guidelines for the same

RavenEye
09-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I agree with Nothingness and anoopak. For this to be a challenge rules, guidelines, timeframe, etc needs to be laid down. That won't stop me from getting my hands dirty with the model and rigging the beasty. Lets just post our WIP and help each other out with various issues until the real challenge comes about.

Nothingness
09-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Still a lot of work to do,
but here is what i have already:
some parts are still nurbs, so i can adjust them more easy as the shape changes, and when it all fits nicely it will be finished off. Will also have some protection plating and whatever will be needed.
I will try and tone down my lust for details, and keep it for a rework for later personal use.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

http://users.edpnet.be/nothingness/3idee/mecha/mecha_01.jpg

giordi
09-22-2009, 09:04 PM
OMG! it is so nice! plese keep on!

BusterHymen
09-22-2009, 10:04 PM
I think you are all correct. To keep this organized we should wait for the model from Nothingness, which is looking very good I must say.

rikkiknight
09-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Nice model Nothingness!
Keep it coming :)

RavenEye
09-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Nothingness, while your modeling this kitty. Try to keep in mind on what you would like to see it do? No matter how difficult it is for us riggers.

Nothingness
09-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey RavenEye,

not sure what to expect from riggers. I assume it should just be able to do all kind of movements.

For the moments i have a hard problem making sure the leg is usable. Because it's mechanical, you need to think about what movements it should be able to do.

When i get out of the problematic situation, i'll post a screen and ask if it's possible. Cause i know that not everything mechanical is easy to rig. I did a few myself (and i'm not a rigger).

eyeayen
09-23-2009, 07:05 PM

Woah, sorry for my delay in replying, ten days :eek:

Unfortunately no I don't have any more details of my earlier post, other than it was created by Simon Roberts from Capitalize agency. I think he purely photographed sports bikes and then photoshop'd them together cleverly to make the panther image. You can find the site at http://www.capitalize.co.uk/ but after a brief look on there I can't see anything extra that would help.

To be honest I'm so late reply and you seem to be getting on so well it doesn't seem worth following this any further.

twidup
09-23-2009, 11:56 PM
hi all

its up to you how this is done.

I have been dealing a couple things, mainly finishing off Christmas Carol, moving to LA, and not having internet access except at work, which I am trying not to abuse right now.

Roberto and I have been working on the rigging challenge to use the QOFTR winner models, and were set to kick it off soon...but if you want to do either the mech or the mech cat, fine.

if you want to run this totally on your own, thats fine as well

-todd

twidup
09-23-2009, 11:58 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=807944

RavenEye
09-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Welcome to Los Angeles.Always a good thing to avoid abusing the internet for the first couple of weeks at a new gig. If you like hot dogs, try Pinks on LaBrea. I would like to learn more about the rigging part of the QOFTR and what models will be avaliable.

twidup
09-24-2009, 12:28 AM
what we were planning is to hand over several models and let you pick which ones to work on, set forth some guidelines, and then go.

the rigs would then be passed off at teh end to an animation challenge and an fx challenge, to help "psuedo" mimin a small production pipeline

-todd

Nothingness
09-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Hey twidup,

I'm trying hard to make sure the mecha-cat is finished by the week's end. But not sure if it will be met. Afterwards it will take some time to make sure it's a usable model for all.

But if you can do a challenge with the QOTRM models, than i'd say go ahead. I'll have a little more time then, and the model will still be there for the next challenge.

So no mather what, the model will be used.

TimForbes
09-25-2009, 05:35 AM
Man, i'm liking the sound of either challenge, the cat looks killer, but these models that todd is proposing also looks like a super interesting way to go.
either way i'm excited.

twidup
09-25-2009, 10:06 PM
cool...sounds good actually. i will get with ROberto and get it sorted, and should be posting it this weekend

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2009, 03:01 PM
wel I am posting the challenge RIGHT NOW...
but if you guys want to see what models you can get your hands on..

well go here:
Queen of the Rocketmen: THE MODEL LIBRARY (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=810654)

and you guys could do the challenges the same way you usually do,
but please re- post your final entries here:
Queen of the Rocketmen: THE MODEL RIGS (NEW!) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=810664)

Nicholas-Silveira
09-26-2009, 03:18 PM
wel I am posting the challenge RIGHT NOW...
butif you guys want to see what models you can get your hands on..

well go here:
Queen of the Rocketmen: THE MODEL LIBRARY (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=810654)

and you guys could do the challenges the same way you usually do,
but please re- post your final entries here:
Queen of the Rocketmen: THE MODEL RIGS (NEW!) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=810664)

Hi RobertoOrtiz,

I wouldn't mind posting my Mechanical scorpion. I will stay out of this rig challenge because I have rigged the big guy before. The design is modeled from a riggers point of view!

Please let me know what you think
(http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=810230)

----------------------
Nicholas Silveira
Rigger / Modeler
nicholas.silveira.blogspot.com
www.linkedin.com/in/nicholassilveira (http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicholassilveira)

Carlo890
09-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi RobertoOrtiz,

I wouldn't mind posting my Mechanical scorpion. I will stay out of this rig challenge because I have rigged the big guy before. The design is modeled from a riggers point of view!

Please let me know what you think

----------------------
Nicholas Silveira
Rigger / Modeler
nicholas.silveira.blogspot.com

Hey I looked at your model and I think it would sweet to model, I hope they approve it cuz ill be looking forward to it.

TimForbes
09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
hey i agree, that scorpion looks mad and would be awesome to rig up ;-)

Nicholas-Silveira
09-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys!!!
I'm just waiting for the OK! I will post it ASAP...
:D

I'm currently rigging my Jimmy model
(http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=811181) I fixed the model a bit but he has more than enough accessories that would be great to rig. I wouldn't mind posting both models.

giordi
09-29-2009, 01:42 AM
hi hte scorpion is soo good! but i love also the caaaaat damn! _ wll be hard make a chose! now i'm waiting for the official post of the rigging contest

RobertoOrtiz
09-30-2009, 04:36 PM
You guys dont need my Ok to post it.

Go ahead.
BTW I would seriously recomend trying to buils rigs for some of the vehicles we have avaialble in this challenge.
We have Tanks, Girocopters, Planes, dirigibles and people.

Sounds like a ton of assets that would look great rigged.

Nicholas-Silveira
09-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone,

The Mechanical Scorpion model looks like this...

The Jimmy model looks like this...
(http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=811181)

DOWNLOAD THE MODELS HERE...
(http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5D1H1FOU)

If you would like to see more go here...
(http://www.youtube.com/user/NicholasSilveira)
:beer:

Carlo890
09-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi everyone,

The Mechanical Scorpion model looks like this...

The Jimmy model looks like this...
(http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=811181)

DOWNLOAD THE MODELS HERE...
(http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5D1H1FOU)

If you would like to see more go here...
(http://www.youtube.com/user/NicholasSilveira)
:beer:

Hey thanks a bunch for the models can't wait to actually start rigging them!!!

giordi
09-30-2009, 09:04 PM
thx for the model!

now we have two modle and a third that is coming.... what about an official topic ?

Nothingness
09-30-2009, 09:07 PM
It might not be too late if he removes them in time.

oh well.

Looks like it's all about being too eager. It's in humans' nature.

ps. the mecha-cat is comming along slowly. Got too much other stuff on my plate.

anoopak
10-01-2009, 04:47 AM
Awesome work, nicholas.Thanks for the model.

Nicholas-Silveira
10-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Wow, I can't believe I spaced it and sent the Max file - sorry.

Here is the right file (obj).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JJLF8LHU

If you could post a cleaned up version of this model that would be awesome! I would love to rig this bad boy ASAP! I'm working on a rig reel and I will love to use your model. I will give you all of the modeling credit!!!

LOOKS Great!!!
:D

DanHaffner
10-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Awesome model, gonna be fun as hell rigging this guy up. You think we could also get the textures and all the extra stuff with it as well?

Thanks again for the sweet model.

Nicholas-Silveira
10-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Awesome model, gonna be fun as hell rigging this guy up. You think we could also get the textures and all the extra stuff with it as well?

Thanks again for the sweet model.

There are no textures. I ownly used XSI shaders.

Nicholas-Silveira
10-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Here is my new Technical Rig WIP.
Please let me know what you think!

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o9FOn3rrqw)

Thank you!

RavenEye
10-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Nice WIP...

You should start with the renders of the scorpion bot. That will grab the users attention right off the bat. And then swing into the showing off of the rig. Right now that is my only feedback. Good job man

giordi
10-14-2009, 09:13 PM
what about cat model?

Nothingness
10-14-2009, 10:56 PM
what about cat model?

Yeah i'm sorry it takes so long. I was also hoping you would have another rigging challenge to do in the meantime. Doesn't look like it. Too bad.

I should continue the model tomorrow and i hope i can finally finish the leg. It's been such a drag to get one that is good enough. Already had to start over a few times.

I'll keep you posted when there is some good change.

sorry for the waiting. Had other worries on my mind.

giordi
10-15-2009, 04:29 PM
i can wait , if u tell that the model will be finish for me there aren't problem i will wait i was so impressed by your shot of the cat! NOW I WANT RIG IT! ahahah i-m just kidding .

i will wait :)

grantmoore3d
10-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Is there a rough ETA on this challenge? I'm going through a bunch of Rigging Tutorials right now and would love to have a challenge at the end of my study :)

DanHaffner
10-23-2009, 07:02 PM
At the rate this is going, 2012 would be the best guess, lol.

grantmoore3d
10-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Hahaha, yeah, I swear this thread has been active for at least 6 months now... all we need is a model and someone to just copy Roberto's style of thread and get it going already!!

Carlo890
10-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah i'm sorry it takes so long. I was also hoping you would have another rigging challenge to do in the meantime. Doesn't look like it. Too bad.

I should continue the model tomorrow and i hope i can finally finish the leg. It's been such a drag to get one that is good enough. Already had to start over a few times.

I'll keep you posted when there is some good change.

sorry for the waiting. Had other worries on my mind.

Just wanted to say no worries and thank you for even modeling something for this challenge. Seems like you been gettin a bunch a pressure about the cat. I say take all the time you need, because its not like the people on this site can't find other models to rig.

tommix
11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Hey guys, I did a robot arm rigging attempt.. could be much inspirational..
take a look: Robot Arm Rigging Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeQkQR6TpQE)

giordi
11-25-2009, 04:12 PM
hey guys are there news?

Nothingness
11-25-2009, 04:25 PM
hey guys are there news?

Started working on it again today. I almost was about to post it - as a reminder that i haven't fogotten about it - around a few hours ago.
Funny you ask now ;)

I was completely redoing the leg cause it couldn't be moved too freely. I hope it will be less frustrating this time. These things are not hard to model, but they are sure hard to design.

cheers and just hang in there. I'm in hollyday for a week or two and was planning on finishing it as quickly as possible during this time.

Nothingness
01-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey Guys,

i know it's been a long time, but i just been too busy.
But i'm working on it again and almost finished the back leg.
Here are some screens:

Shot 1 (http://users.edpnet.be/nothingness/3idee/mecha/mecha_02.PNG)
Shot 2 (http://users.edpnet.be/nothingness/3idee/mecha/mecha_03.PNG)
Shot 3 (http://users.edpnet.be/nothingness/3idee/mecha/mecha_04.PNG)

RavenEye
01-12-2010, 10:20 PM
The leg is pretty sweet!!:applause:

DanHaffner
01-13-2010, 04:47 AM
Please for the love of all that is holy, don't freeze your transforms.

And yes, AMAZING work, looks awesome! Keep it up!

rikkiknight
01-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Very nice work dude! Keep it coming!!

Nothingness
01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Please for the love of all that is holy, don't freeze your transforms.

And yes, AMAZING work, looks awesome! Keep it up!

Don't worry,
I know what i'm doing.
I'll even make sure the pistons and stuff are not aimed at each other but placed in straight rotations.
Only problem will be that export to obj for people working in other apps than maya, will freeze the transforms and even the location of the pivots.

Well' have to look for a sollution there.

derekserra
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Only problem will be that export to obj for people working in other apps than maya, will freeze the transforms and even the location of the pivots.

Well' have to look for a sollution there.

I'll be rigging it in Lightwave. I think you can export the cage of a sub-d model as an .obj and it should work. I can test it for you when the time comes.

RavenEye
01-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I say freeze the transforms. Make it more difficult for the rigger.:thumbsup:

Nothingness
01-13-2010, 06:34 PM
I'll be rigging it in Lightwave. I think you can export the cage of a sub-d model as an .obj and it should work. I can test it for you when the time comes.

i don't use sub-d's!
And not sure about how lightwave imports, but c4d puts all transforms and rotations and pivots at 0 0 0.

And freeze transformations at a certain pose? Wouldn't that be a little overkill.
Although I already know that this thing might be an easy one to rig.

So ideas about upping the difficultness are always welcome. When the modeling is done, i think it'll be nice to have a discussion to see how it all will be handled.

Now i just hope i can finish it before any big challenge comes up. Would love to participate one.

derekserra
01-13-2010, 06:55 PM
i don't use sub-d's!
And not sure about how lightwave imports, but c4d puts all transforms and rotations and pivots at 0 0 0.

No worries then. Export the object as an .obj - it should work fine (in theory). :)

TimForbes
01-13-2010, 09:37 PM

Yeah thats it, make it a bit more challenging;-) looking forward to rigging this, it looks awesome from the images i've seen so far.

johncena
01-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Hey guys i have a mechanical spider ive been modeling, im not to great at rigging so anyone is welcome to help. I want have it all rigged, so animating wont be completly impossible lol.if you spend a secon analyzing the model, i think you might be able to figure out how its going to work, but if you are confused at all, just let me know.

derekserra
01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Hey guys i have a mechanical spider ive been modeling, im not to great at rigging so anyone is welcome to help. I want have it all rigged, so animating wont be completly impossible lol.if you spend a secon analyzing the model, i think you might be able to figure out how its going to work, but if you are confused at all, just let me know.

Cool - I have rigged a spider yet. :)

DanHaffner
01-15-2010, 06:14 PM

You mean make it amazingly more annoying than it has to be?

vvkonline
01-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Model looks amazing, and It's already very inspiring, keep going man hope too see more soon.

Nothingness
01-16-2010, 09:12 PM
I got a minor update!
Though i still need to try and fix the paws. They look strange.

http://users.edpnet.be/nothingness/3idee/mecha/mecha_06.PNG

http://users.edpnet.be/nothingness/3idee/mecha/mecha_05.PNG

derekserra
01-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Looking good!

DanHaffner
01-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Man that thing looks awesome.

Nothingness
01-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Hey Guys,

Don't want to give false hopes, but since it's the end of the weekend and next week i'll have almost no time to work on it, i'm posting the latest update on the progress.
I think i made some serious progress, although i haven't worked on it that much. I did this render and i'm already falling in love with this model.
So, wishing you all a nice work week, i'm hoping the weekend will be comming very fast.

Cheers

http://users.edpnet.be/nothingness/3idee/mecha/mecha_07.png

derekserra
01-18-2010, 01:05 AM
It looks really good. My only critique is that the paws look kind of small.

This is going to be a fun rig!

grantmoore3d
01-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Wow, looking really good, can't wait to see if finished! Hopefully I'll have time to participate in the rigging challenge once it's ready. Thanks a lot for the effort :)

vvkonline
01-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Can we start ? Really looks done? Looks really good.

RavenEye
01-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Rules and guidelines should be laid down before we can start. Maybe see if the moderator wants to check out the model and create the rules for the challenge?

RavenEye
01-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Is the kitty going to have a tail?

Nothingness
01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
The big bad kitty is not finished by far. Allthough it really starts to look that way.

1: The lower part of the leg and the paw is still going to change. Don't like it myself.
2: Yes the kitty will have a tail. Still not sure how to do it, but should be a lighter version of how the neck and spine will be.
3: I'm not planning on releasing anything before there is clear contact with the moderator.
4: I still want to seriously see what i can do to make the model a little less useable for those who want to use it in some personal work/project.
5: We should have it in different formats by the time the challenge starts.

Now anyway, i think the new big cg challenge is a reason for me to push this model to a finish so i don't have to worry about it anymore.
I would really love to finish a challenge.

Cheers all

Nothingness
01-18-2010, 05:45 PM
I forgot,

For those who wish to track my challenge entry and give feedback to the rigging challenges i might be facing, here is the link: my challenge entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=305&t=843952)

IF i ever find a good idea. :banghead:

Nothingness
01-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Hey All,

Had a lot of work, and still haven't workt really on the big challange - only work i did was during work - and here an update on the kitty:

I'm cleaning up some large parts, and checking for some possible problems. Maybe these will only be discovered during rigging.
I might still replace the spine hinges with the new ones i created for the tail and neck. They are more compact and clean.

I won't go into too much detail like i intended to. So i'll keep the detailing for a later stage when i use this model in my personal work. Then this model will probably get a real overhaul.

Cheers and hang in there. I think soon i'll try to contact the moderator to start some discussion. Then we'll know more.

EDIT: right click the images and check open in other tab or something. Looks like cgtalk now scales the images up here.

http://users.edpnet.be/nothingness/3idee/mecha/mecha_09.png

http://users.edpnet.be/nothingness/3idee/mecha/mecha_08.png

DanHaffner
01-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Man that looks awesome!

JessR
01-29-2010, 06:42 PM
That thing looks amazing man, hope to get my hands on it! *Rigging senses going heywire*

brazz
02-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Hello everyone,

Very nice robot cat there man, way to go.

It's been a qhile since the last mini-chalenge, the moderators are thinking on seting up a new one soon?

cheers,

Nothingness
02-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Hello everyone,

Very nice robot cat there man, way to go.

It's been a qhile since the last mini-chalenge, the moderators are thinking on seting up a new one soon?

cheers,

I'm trying to get the ball rolling here.
The model is basically finished for the purpose here, but i still need to make it ready to be used by u guys 'n gals.

So what i want to hear from everybody is how the model should be.
I've devided it up to 6 files so i can manage it a little better. Then i'll combine the parts that do not need to be treated seperately. Will also make the naming of all parts a little less hard work.

So let me know what i need to do with the pistons, hinges and legs that have some sort of rotation on it. I know it will be messed up with conversion somehow.

JessR
02-06-2010, 11:13 PM
well it sounds strange but when it comes to pistons and hinges and such, i'm of the opinion that the more complete and separate the parts are, the better, but i do like the idea of separate files for different parts, but more so please put together some kind of organization of the geometry, i've seen way too many mechanical or machine models that are just one HUGE list of parts.

not really sure what exactly you want, but i can answer more specific questions i guess, but i'm really looking forward to rigging this model up

Nothingness
02-07-2010, 02:14 PM
well JessR,

I know that when i export from maya to C4D via the OBJ, i get everything in one big list even if things were grouped in maya.
To avoid long lists, and make it managable, i thought i'd put it in multiple files. But at the moment, i'm cleaning everything up, and naming every part. This way the parts are also listed correctly.

I don't group all objects. Only the ones that don't move or deform towards each other. The pistons are still seperate. I also rotated them in either 0, 90, 180 or -90 degrees to make it easier. All you then gotta do is aim constraints them and stuff and it's ready. (Just the pistons off course).

For now, the leg is kind of positioned like a 90 rotated L . So when you see the model it will look kinda funny.
So basically, if there are things that i should pay attention to, just let me know.

And not sure if this will be a problem, but i deleted about all the uv's of every part. The only parts still in nurbs are the springs. The deletion of the uv's is because they don't have any use here, they were seriously messed up, AND it saves rather a lot of megs off of the files. I was surprised of how much lighter the files became.
Then again, i don't think this model needs to be textured/shaded and rendered.

Does other apps have problems with models with no uv's? Normally the renderer should just give a warning.

JessR
02-07-2010, 02:53 PM
well so far sounds like your'e doing a great job organizationaly, i didnt know about the conversions killing organization, nurbs springs are fine in my book, work pretty well, and i don't think any packages have problems with no uv's at least i know maya and max don't
and as i would hope with your permission, if we do rig this badass mecha-cat up we could use it in our reels at some point so rendering is helpful, but its not like we can't create the uv's ourselves if needed so no worries.

derekserra
02-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Lightwave has no issues with models without UV's.

Obviously, rotational information will be lost when converting to an OBJ, but that is a non-issue for LW anyway. When opened in LW it can approached in a couple of different methods. The rigger can use the parts as they are located in world space, or he can disassemble it so that every piece is separated and aligned properly. Each method comes with it's own workflow, but one is not really harder than the other.

If you supply the model in 1 OBJ file, or 6 separate files, it won't make a huge difference. Most likely, it will be separated by the LW artist as needed for their workflow.

derekserra
02-07-2010, 03:21 PM
As far as NURBS go, LW doesn't have a similar mesh. If they are converted NURBS -> Polys, just use the control points as the tessellation method. Once imported into LW, they can be easily sub-patched, which will work fine.

Nothingness
02-10-2010, 01:52 PM
thanks for the responses.

In the end, it might all end up into one file eventually. Mostly it's the tail, spine and neck that is composed out of many objects. But with good naming conventions and ordening it shouldn't be that bad.

So far still haven't got any response from the moderator. Will await it some more.
Or try contacting others.

N8Girard
02-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I think this is an excellent model for a rigging challenge. It obviously has been very well thought out from a mechanical standpoint and though it will present some limitations as all machines do, it also have a pretty big range of flexibility. Mechanical rigs are generally simpler by nature so it'll be really good for people who have little experience in rigging to start off in this challenge once it gets underway.

Todd is in the middle of teaching a rigging class for the next few weeks so he probably won't respond too quickly. However, I know that he's really looking for a good model for this one and your offer is pretty amazing. You could also ask him if maybe we can involve another moderator for a short while to get things going. He's a pretty nice guy and I think he'd be open for that.

One comment I did have on the model is that there is very little room for secondary motion. Usually you can find this in mechanical models on things like wires and antennae and such that move because you moved something else. Secondary motion is critical for making an object look like it has mass and weight and moves in the real world. I'm sure riggers could add wires and antennae wherever they see fit so it's not a big deal, but I just thought I'd bring it up now before the model gets distributed since you are almost done with it. We could also have two versions of the model, one with secondary wires and antennae and such and one without so we'd have two different difficulties for people to engage. Just a thought. Secondary motion rigs are a good place to learn a new skill or two and a nice place to shine.

I think the UV thing is fine. Everyone will want to remap the parts how they want them mapped anyway so I don't think it's a big deal to ask people who want to put it on their reel to just map it themselves. Besides, anyone could use something like an occlusion pass like your initial render to show off the rig itself. It's only if you are compositing it into a scene that it will need to be fully textured and renderable.

Anyway, love the model and I'm really looking forward to this challenge. I'll even invite some of my friends to join too! :)

Nothingness
02-11-2010, 09:51 PM
thanks for the comments N8Girard!

With wires, do you mean like tubes and such that are hanging loosely? Something that connect two parts? Will see what i can do, but mainly this was something i planned to do when did a V2.0 of the model. I can add some antenna here and there. I'll make sure they are removable if desired.

The things i think are already there that can have secondary motion, is the springed back hips (they are more controlled by the weight and movement) and the whole upper body that is seperate from the lower body and engine that also has springs and damps.
But i guess these are not enough to get something interesting going.

So, if you guys have more luck convincing a moderator, be my guest. Meanwhile i'll try and finish the rig.

O, and by the way: Can i keep the neck and spine posed like it is in the images? I did make sure the rotations are very rounded like 10 or 20 or 30. I know it will be a problem when the file is exported and you loose all the info. Then next thing is: should i post a screenshot with the values, or make it up to the rigger to find out?

derekserra
02-11-2010, 10:12 PM
thanks for the comments N8Girard!
O, and by the way: Can i keep the neck and spine posed like it is in the images? I did make sure the rotations are very rounded like 10 or 20 or 30. I know it will be a problem when the file is exported and you loose all the info. Then next thing is: should i post a screenshot with the values, or make it up to the rigger to find out?

I'd say go ahead and leave it as is. Sometimes a rigger gets a model that needs some tweaking before he can start rigging it. It's all part of the process.

N8Girard
02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I would say, things like the legs where you obviously built them off of a particular plane of axis, it might be nice to know the exact offset degree that they are at if any, especially if they will be separate files. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about how the model is posed or labeling angles and stuff. Every rig will be different and some will put limits on the joints and some won't. You'd be amazed at what you can get away with on camera. ;)

One thing I failed to consider when I made my last comment about the secondary motion is that cats really don't have much secondary motion on them normally do they? If we wanted the silhoette to still read like a cat then maybe we shouldn't have much secondary motion on it... I was just thinking that it would be nice to have some dangling wires and such to practice other rigging techniques on but I don't want to take away from the essence of what your model is trying to be. Thanks for giving my comments some consideration though. :)

Nothingness
02-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Alright, nice inputs! :buttrock:

So, i think the main secondary motion of a cat is the one that the animator puts into it. Things like how the shoulder sinks in, how the head stabalizes while walking.

The thing is - and this will be a tricky one - maybe i should reconsidder the shoulder so that it can do just that. Now there is no damping possible at the shoulder when the legs hit's the ground.
Reason this is, is because it was really hard to do. But thinking about animating this, i think it's a serious design-flaw that it can't.

So, i still need to make the shoulder dampy, and make it possible to make it also look more mechine. I don't think it's all necesary to make the machine look and feel and move like a cat. Cause it isn't one :-P

Starting this weekend i'll know what to do i think. Allthough i'm doing another hardcore modeling challenge and still need to migrate a flash site to the newer AS 3.0.
Luckily me i have 9 days straight to work on it all.

Thanks for the input. It's giving me really great insight. I hope i'll learn a lot about rigging with this challenge - that i probably won't compete in myself.

If everything goes well, i'll even provide my next challenge model as a model for some organic rigging. And if it goes really well, there's gonna be a car in it as well.

exciting times.

Eela
02-16-2010, 06:42 PM
It looks like you have almost done, great job! I hope to have time to participate :)

Kremers
03-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Hey Nothingness,

The model looks superb :thumbsup:, hope to get involved into this challenge.

spurcell
03-02-2010, 12:40 AM
I also would love to cut my teeth rigging this superb model. Looks to be quite the challenge. Let's get this thing rolling! :D

Nothingness
03-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Thanks peeps,

it's taking rather long to hear anything. But in the meantime i really learned all i needed to know about modeling for smoothing. Way more clean meshes than the ones i have right now. So i'm thinking i should change a lot to make the model rigging efficient. Hope i have time for it soon.
And while on it, i should really change the legs so they are more flexible. Will add much more challenges to the rigging too.

cheers

giordi
03-04-2010, 01:14 PM
alright ! sound awesome looking forward to rig it! *_*

blendtwoattr
03-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Hey that excellent work :bowdown:

awesome frnd i like really love to do Rig for this ....:)

its hard but ill try to do .....

Nicholas-Silveira
03-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been M.I.A for a wile. Well I couldn't sit back and wait to start rigging so I jumped ahead and quickly rigged Darrin Crow's (A.K.A BusterHymen) Mechanical Gun Model. You can check it out here (http://nicholas-silveira.blogspot.com/). I will recapture the newest rig update on my next reel.

spurcell
03-30-2010, 10:12 PM
looks great. Still hoping for a rigging challenge soon.

Nothingness
03-30-2010, 10:17 PM
looks great. Still hoping for a rigging challenge soon.

The ball has begun rollin'

I'm putting a lot of time in the model at this very moment. Will hope to finish it soon. I'm doing some serious changes to the legs. Then should clean up the other parts too.

Nicholas-Silveira
04-03-2010, 01:13 AM
I have been receiving a few emails about the Mechanical Scorpion model merged into once piece. So this link has the model already in pieces for you. Anyone can use this model for there reels or personal project as long as my name is on the model. I would also love to see what you guys do with it. Please keep me updated!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1SBA42ZF

arctor
04-03-2010, 02:08 AM
@Nicholas-Silveira

nice thanks!

spurcell
04-03-2010, 02:14 PM
cool thanks man!

Moreto
04-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Looks awesome, thanks for releasing it.

giordi
04-04-2010, 08:19 PM
hey guys i love the attitude of this topic that s not the first model shared ! i love it guys bring it! we should open a topic here and add the link of the model that awesome people share with us

mccollom73
04-05-2010, 03:43 AM
I am having trouble downloading the files. When I open it, if says wrong format, when clearly it is. Any thoughts?

Josh

grantmoore3d
04-05-2010, 05:46 AM
^^ Try importing it instead of opening.

Wow, that is a fantastic model, I wish I had the patience to make something like that. So, can we get someone to post a contest sometime soon, with some rules... something similar to how the HMC forum is done would be great!

spurcell
04-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I hate to ask after the generous giving of the model, but all the object's transforms have been reset totally reset, which makes it quite the undertaking to do anything with. Is there any chance of getting a format without all the reset transfroms? Even just a scene file stripped of everything but the model itself would be super.

mccollom73
04-05-2010, 08:32 PM
imoprting it didnt work. I downloads as an .obj, so i really don't know whats going on with this. Sorry.

Josh

grantmoore3d
04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Did you try re-downloading it, maybe it got corrupted? It also imported very large for me, so at first I didn't realize it worked and had to zoom out very far to see it. What application are you using?

mccollom73
04-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Did you try re-downloading it, maybe it got corrupted? It also imported very large for me, so at first I didn't realize it worked and had to zoom out very far to see it. What application are you using?

I did re-download it several times. I downloads as a .obj, i changed the format and opened it in maya and it says unrecognized file format. =( I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Josh

spurcell
04-05-2010, 11:22 PM
I did re-download it several times. I downloads as a .obj, i changed the format and opened it in maya and it says unrecognized file format. =( I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Josh

I imported it without issue. You can't just change the format afaik, and expect maya to open it like a .mb file. Your positive you tried choosing to import it instead of open it?

mccollom73
04-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I imported it without issue. You can't just change the format afaik, and expect maya to open it like a .mb file. Your positive you tried choosing to import it instead of open it?

OK, so it works, but I think because I am using a mac that is why it didn't let me import it. Or i am just going crazy. lol. Thanks for the help everyone.

Josh

DanHaffner
04-26-2010, 08:14 PM
I hate to ask after the generous giving of the model, but all the object's transforms have been reset totally reset, which makes it quite the undertaking to do anything with. Is there any chance of getting a format without all the reset transfroms? Even just a scene file stripped of everything but the model itself would be super.

I couldn't agree more. I love the idea of doing a mechanical rig but it seems I keep getting files where all the history and transforms are completely stripped away, which usually leads me to putting the file in a projects folder and never touching again.

kirkjr2
04-29-2010, 04:15 AM
OK, so it works, but I think because I am using a mac that is why it didn't let me import it. Or i am just going crazy. lol. Thanks for the help everyone.

Josh

Make sure you have Ignore Version checked in the Import options. If you are using a different version of Maya than the file was saved in it will most likely give you an error. OBJs generally don't give you a problem.

JimCrafton
04-30-2010, 03:00 AM
Nicholas,

Thanks for the model - really, really cool! I started breaking it apart into separate pieces. Is this what is going to be rigged? If not, is it OK to rig it on our own, and if I make an animation with it, is it OK to post, as long as I give credit to you for the mesh?

Nothingness
05-24-2010, 02:00 AM
ok guys,

i finished the modeling of the mecha cat.
need to do a minor tweek and that's it.

testing a render now (posed it quickly and while discovered the little issues)
but will render it final tomorrow and post it.

It's basically version 2.0.

400k polys unsmoothed.
438 objects.
fully quad and sub-d ready.

cheers

Nothingness
05-24-2010, 02:04 AM
okay,

couldn't wait and posted the test render. Will do the bigger render tomorrow.
cheers.

do note: i'm not really happy with it overall. The legs are crappy and so is the neck, the spine and the tail.
But i guess the crappyness will be your bigges annoying rigging challenge.

cheers

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g79/116379/116379_1274743084_large.jpg

TimForbes
05-24-2010, 05:36 AM
man, that looks really cool, and am def stoked on rigging this thing. cheers for putting that model up for us to rig. we should get a thread going to start up the challenge to make sure everyone starts at the same time etc.
Cheers,
Tim

giordi
05-24-2010, 05:44 AM
omg!!! that model is awesome let s contact a moderator !!!

Moreto
05-24-2010, 07:46 AM
I can't begin to state my excitement! Wonderful news.

RavenEye
05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Looks good. All we need now is to have a set of guideline for the challenge.

Nothingness
05-24-2010, 07:49 PM
thanks peeps.

although the model kinda looks good like this, you'll notice when working on it it's not all that great. I think there might be some serious issues. But i guess there will be a challenge there.

in normal situation there will be a forward/backwards motion between riggers and modelers to do adjustments if they are needed. Due to the nature of the challenge this won't be too possible.
But i think there won't be real adjustments needed here.

I already contacted tim, but can't get any responce lately. Last word from him he was really excited about the model and wanted to participate in this as well.
So if you guys have better luck in getting some attention, go ahead.

In the meanwhile the model won't be available for fairness sake.

Cheers

rikkiknight
05-25-2010, 08:37 AM
nice work dude!
looks like a fun character to rig, the added wheels are pretty cool

Pranaw
05-26-2010, 07:19 AM
im in ....