PDA

View Full Version : Long Night - must have been a lot of beer (Animation Critique)

ulikilian
02-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi,
I started a scene in Max for lighting tests. But then it turned into a short animation...

http://www.ulikilian.de/cgsociety/longnight_v01_b.jpg
(http://ulikilian.cgsociety.org/gallery/728407/)[Click on the image to view the video]

Does one get the story at all? Please leave C&C - I'd like to improve it.
Any good ideas for audio?
Beginner's comments are as much appreciated as pro's comments.
Thank you!
Uli

torresmedia
02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Nice work :D I think it would be enough with just metal shounds for this one. Maybe a lights-flicker sound or something? So far it looks great!

Fdv
02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Very nice, the only suggestion I have is to lower the reflection level on the desk, or apply a mask to add some more matte/dusty/dirty areas...right now it has that very CG looking over shinyness IMO...

Also, how did you do the shaky camera?

ulikilian
02-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys!

I would like to put some more emphasis on the corkscrew just before it lifts up. Any ideas here?

The shaky camera is a handmade keyframe animation mixed with a noise controller. I attached the file in case you are interested (Max 2009).

Thanks again.
Uli

LowJacK
02-14-2009, 07:05 AM
Very nice, the only suggestion I have is to lower the reflection level on the desk, or apply a mask to add some more matte/dusty/dirty areas...right now it has that very CG looking over shinyness IMO...

Also, how did you do the shaky camera?

I have the same feedback. Couldn't tell what the surface of the desk was. Reflection was throwing me off.

You could also try getting a little more depth in your blur and softening the shadows/AO under the bottlecaps but that is pretty picky.

All in all, really solid work.

ulikilian
02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Hi LowJack,
thank you. I will take the reflection issue into account. And you are also right with the soft shadows.

What do you mean by "more depth in blur"?
1. blur blurred area more
2. blur blurred area less
3. make sharp area broader (less things blurred)
4. make sharp area narrower (more things blurred)
5. something completely different

Thanks again - I really appreciate it because I rely on this feedback here.
Uli

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2009, 02:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.