View Full Version : Character animation test

Jeffry
02-09-2009, 06:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-AeFcrmWI

Any suggestion is welcome

thank you

booleanspline
02-13-2009, 12:04 PM
when he says "their connected" it doesnt look like he really said that. every line has a hand gesture. might be too much. i know itilians talk a lot with their hands. but i think it might be too distracting from the characters facial performance. i like his jitteriness and swaying. makes the character seem alive. although i dont care for the first little tick he does before he speaks. just putting his hand in his pocket is already a lot of action. or maybe not as much movement in the tick. his eyes trail off in the end as if hes looking at someone else. or at least thats how i took it. i like the changes of his facial expressions. overall nice work.

torresmedia
02-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I agree with Joey :) Some of the words containing "o" don't match his mouth. He's to "wide" in his o's (Wierd sentence :P But you get the point.) Other then that I like the hand movement and the motion. If joey haven't said that thing about to much hands, I wouldn't have noticed it... (So he's probobly right..) Keep it up, dude! ;) Great work!

Jeffry
02-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Thank you guys
pretty soon i'm going to post another preview with corrections

I hope you'll have the patience and kindness to watch it again :beer:

KyleG
02-13-2009, 05:49 PM
If you're trying to come up with a nice character piece, I wouldn't copy the exact movements of the source video

Original Scene
http://kylekenworthy.com/confidence_handGesture_BodyBounce_departed.mov

Try reinterpreting the audio and coming up with your own original gestures
Copying reference can be useful as a learning exercise, but is not something I would recommend putting on a reel

Jeffry
02-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Copying reference can be useful as a learning exercise, but is not something I would recommend putting on a reel

To copy from an existing movie helps me a lot to understand the times, this was my first approach with character animation ever.
My second step would be to exaggerate those movements.
of course I woul't have put it on a reel, it's just lerning and of course after that I will try to animate a my own interpretation of an audio file.

chaoticreality
02-14-2009, 02:21 PM
The mouth opens up too much on certain occasions and 'o' sound is a bit mismatched. Clarity and time-spacing could be further polished. The dialogue 'watch ya gonna do' could be better polished with better timing and posing. Eye movement could use some texture in motion. Just some observations. :)

ajfrank
02-15-2009, 02:31 AM
You say that this is your first attempt at character animation. I thinks it's a decent start except that the animation is an exact replica of the original audio source. I know you say you did that for learning purposes, which i guess is ok(i get back to that latter), but i would recommend not copying from the original sound clip. Your best bet would be to try to come up with your own idea, like Kyle suggested, because that is one of the things you're going to have to do if you plan on becoming a character animator. Coming up with your own unique idea will help you in the long run to become a better character animator rather than copying from the exact clip. I can understand if the clip was a complex scene so you can learn body mechanics and timing. Then it would be good to mimic and push poses from the scene. But with this sound clip and simple scene like that it'll be easy to come up with something better than the original act. Plus you can get better critiques that'll also help you with your acting choices and animation.

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2009, 02:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.