PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War IV : General Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

heavyness
02-09-2009, 07:15 AM
please use this thread for general discussion about DWIV.

Airflow
02-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Its soo big now Im afraid to enter, I think Ill do the 9 day mini challenge, and use the result of that as my concept for the real thing.
Should be fun.

DanielCortes
02-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Do the rules for the challenge come out the day it starts. Would seem logical, but I’d like to get a head start…he!

heavyness
02-10-2009, 12:47 AM
rules comes out day of. so be here ready on the 20th.

nzrkiwi
02-10-2009, 07:15 AM
How do you enter or register yourself for the dominance of War IV competition?

DragonSFX
02-11-2009, 08:52 AM
please use this thread for general discussion about DMIV.

i don't get it. shouldn;t it be "DWIV"? i noticed that even on the faq thread talking about last year that it is called DMIII... what's the "M" for?

just curious.

-Levi

heavyness
02-11-2009, 03:11 PM
i don't get it. shouldn;t it be "DWIV"? i noticed that even on the faq thread talking about last year that it is called DMIII... what's the "M" for?

just curious.

-Levi

ha! i was tired. yes, it is suppose to be DWIV. fixing that now.

davidportoles
02-12-2009, 09:19 AM
i'm itnerested in participate. is there any place where i can read the rules for the previous Dominance wars? just to have an idea of what i'm going to do :)

heavyness
02-12-2009, 02:22 PM
i'm itnerested in participate. is there any place where i can read the rules for the previous Dominance wars? just to have an idea of what i'm going to do :)

http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/archives/index.php

look on the left hand side, you'll see links for a four challenges.

DragonSFX
02-12-2009, 04:20 PM
ok, i have a question wich may or may not be able to be answered atm. it says in the rules for dwIII that all assets must be created for the challenge, no existing assets, textures, etc. my question is: if we enter the mini challenge, are we able to use those assets for our main challenge? or will we need to make completely new assets for the main challenge as well? can anyone tell me how it was in the past?

thanks,
Levi

davidportoles
02-12-2009, 04:55 PM
http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/archives/index.php

look on the left hand side, you'll see links for a four challenges.

cool! thanks a lot

DanielCortes
02-12-2009, 07:48 PM

Here are the rules and regs, story line and stuff like that. This is going to be a lot of fun. 3 days till the mini, see you there! Hugs and love to all! :bounce: http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/rules/index.php

heavyness
02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Here are the rules and regs, story line and stuff like that. This is going to be a lot of fun. 3 days till the mini, see you there! Hugs and love to all! :bounce: http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/rules/index.php

first mini challenge starts on the 20th.

DanielCortes
02-13-2009, 10:25 AM
first mini challenge starts on the 20th.
You’re so right bro! Sorry about that miss information, I guess I’m so exited my mind is playing tricks on me…ha! Well till the 20th then.

AlexaSharlOt
02-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey, I want to know if I will not to take part of mini challenge, then I can take part of main challenge in March ???

And in the main challenge, someone will chose from forum next finalist or we need to put finish work in www.dominancewar.com (http://www.dominancewar.com/) ???

heavyness
02-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Hey, I want to know if I will not to take part of mini challenge, then I can take part of main challenge in March ???
you can enter the main challenge without doing the mini challenges.

And in the main challenge, someone will chose from forum next finalist or we need to put finish work in www.dominancewar.com (http://www.dominancewar.com/) ???
you will submit your entries on the DMIV site yourself.

PavelPetrenko
02-16-2009, 09:03 AM
DW 4 cheers! :twisted:
Wait on February 20 to know a theme.

DragonSFX
02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
hey guys. i was just at the dw site and according to the counter, it won;t start unitil the end of the 20th. midnight eastern between the 20th and the 21st. do you think it is wrong? or are they based in australia or something??

-L

heavyness
02-18-2009, 07:37 AM
info about the 1st mini challenge is up...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=282&t=731580 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=731580)

...rules will be posted on the 20th.

tvfunnyman
02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm doing some quicksketchs and getting loosened up for the big event...

Looking forward to seeing more awesome stuff from everyone.

Good luck and good work to everyone.

heavyness
02-20-2009, 05:50 AM
mini challenges posted...

Mini Challenge #1 - War General Portraits 3D
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=282&t=732414 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=732414)

Mini Challenge #1 - War General Portraits 2D
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=282&t=732416 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=732416)

Yone
02-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Well another year of DW finally starts, I've been waiting all day until the afternoon here in the UK to see the theme for the mini challenge.

Thanks to Heavyness for keeping us all informed :bounce:

I didn't manage to post anything last year. Lets see if I can at least make one of the mini challenges this year.

Go CG Talk!

darkriddles
02-20-2009, 01:51 PM
So.. you "don't" have to go through the mini challenge in order to enter the DW4 main challenge in March? I thought you had to enter the mini challenge first of all, then must be picked in order to enter the main challenge??

If you are not entering the mini challenge and for example, just wanted to enter the main challenge straight away, how do you "represent" the forum? (Is it like, you say which forum you belong to etc when you enter the main challenge?) Coz the DW4 website says, you will be representing a forum in order to enter the main challenge :)

Sorry if i was asking something stupid, this is the first time I enter for DW!

Gyorkland
02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Ok I think I posted this question on the wrong thread so here I go again, Where are the Main Event rules ? in DW page there are only the mini challenge rules, wich by the way is looking great.

heavyness
02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Ok I think I posted this question on the wrong thread so here I go again, Where are the Main Event rules ? in DW page there are only the mini challenge rules, wich by the way is looking great.

main event hasn't been posted yet. we are going to do mini challenges that lead up to the main event.

also, you don't have to enter the mini events if you don't want. they are just there to warm people up.

Gyorkland
02-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks for answering, I know that I donīt have to enter the mini challenge if I donīt want to, what I want to know is if the main event is going to start after this mini challenge or later this day.

heavyness
02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks for answering, I know that I donīt have to enter the mini challenge if I donīt want to, what I want to know is if the main event is going to start after this mini challenge or later this day.

the main challenge will begin shortly after the mini challenge is over.

AdamTSC
02-21-2009, 01:42 AM
I'm not actually sure if I'm going to join, but I think it would be alot of fun to try :)
My question is: are we allowed to join both 2d and 3d categories, or do we have to pick one?

Thanks,
-Adam

Edit: Whoops, missed this from the dwiii rules:
"Artists wishing to enter 3d and concept art categories must create a new idea for each category. No 3d entry and concept entry can look the same."

KSteineman
02-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Hi,

I had a question about the 3D Challenge

"All lighting solutions from any software package is permitted."

So, this is not just view port screenshots? We can render it, with mental ray and such? Or...

tsalvageboy
02-24-2009, 04:43 PM
the main challenge will begin shortly after the mini challenge is over.

So the main challenge does not start until March 3rd? Is that why it only says "Dominance War IV is currently in progress..." on the page now? I really want to read the rules and enter into the competition, did I miss a deadline for something?

JacquesPena
02-24-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty excited about the competition this time. I never got to finish the 2nd competition due to all the work at my studio, but I'm scheduling my time wisely this time around.

adib
02-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Question: There is a problem if I didn t put the team logo on the charater,but I put it on the image?

Thanks.

heavyness
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Question: There is a problem if I didn t put the team logo on the charater,but I put it on the image?

Thanks.

yes, your character needs it on them...

As long as he/she/it looks like a war general, has the appropriate team war logo somewhere on the body/clothes, and has the appropriate team colors [found here] (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=728088), everything is good!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=732414

adib
02-27-2009, 04:46 PM
But I already submit the image.:sad:

BaronImpossible
02-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Heck, well I put it on the character but didn't include it in the image text, and as for what you're meant to do with the team colours I've no idea :) so I guess that makes two of us :D

heavyness
02-27-2009, 10:55 PM
But I already submit the image.:sad:

sorry. once submitted, it can't be changed.

Final submissions are final. If you upload your final image 4 days before the deadline, do not ask us to change it. Make sure you are happy with your image before you submit it into the system.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=732414

adib
02-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Question:Can I enter also in 2D competition if I am on 3D?

paperclip
02-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Adib: You can enter both challenges, but the image you enter for both challenges must look different.

I have a question--- I went to upload my final, but

You must be logged in to submit your finals. Please Log in with remember me checked, and revisit the submissions page.
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/images/spacing.gif

Do I need to register with gameartisans in order to enter?

DDS
03-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Adib: You can enter both challenges, but the image you enter for both challenges must look different.

at least that's how it happened with others DWs

heavyness
03-01-2009, 10:49 PM

yeah... you have to register with gameartisans.

Rupy
03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi,

Just had a minor question, it there more then one mini challenge, other the protait ones, i read somewhere that there is suppose to be 2 of them, not sure if its true, thanks in advance

Cheers

Rup

j4Q
03-02-2009, 09:34 PM
hey
its allow to upload General in CG showcase gallery after upload finall image on DW?
or is some restriction about uploaded chaallenge image?

sorry for my english.

Seven
03-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I havent been able to find out, is there another 9 day comp before the main one starts on March 12th? The CGT article a while ago said 'mini comps', I just assumed there was 2.

edit - think ive found the answer, no second mini comp :) Bring on the main one!

Gyorkland
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi, is there a gallery where you can see all the final submited arts from every forum?

Gyorkland
03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
or we at lest should make a thread where you only post your final art.

DragonSFX
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
or we at lest should make a thread where you only post your final art.
ummmm... http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/view_entries_cgsociety_3d_1.html ??

& http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/view_entries_cgsociety_2d_1.html .

paperclip
03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
yeah... you have to register with gameartisans.

Got it, thanks for the reply.

Sepulverture
03-04-2009, 12:59 AM
God damnit..... I was too late. I can't believe I missed the deadline for submission.

Rupy
03-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks Seven,

Thats sucks though, but on to the main event, cheers!

Rup

Yone
03-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Hey Guys.

Does anyone know if for the main challenge we will have to set up our own threads or is it going to be in one main thread like the mini challenge?

By the way does anyone know how I could find out more on how to import an OBJ from 3ds max into mud box? I created a mesh and got the obj into mudbox but I can't subdivide it over level 2 without mudbox crashing.

Thanks

Yone

heavyness
03-04-2009, 02:48 PM
voting will start soon for the mini challenge, and i will start posting threads for the main challenge once i get final info from the DWIV guys.

NordicNinja
03-05-2009, 11:43 PM
By the way does anyone know how I could find out more on how to import an OBJ from 3ds max into mud box? I created a mesh and got the obj into mudbox but I can't subdivide it over level 2 without mudbox crashing.

Thanks

Yone

Hey, this usually means that you have some overlapping verts and/or verts that are not welded correctly. The way I always fix it is to go back into 3DS Max, put an edit poly modifier on top of your stack and poke around until you find and fix the verts.

Hope that helps. :)

Sepulverture
03-06-2009, 08:07 AM
I guess I got in the game a bit late, and apparently missed a lot.

The main challenge is on march 12th it looks like, does that mean all the mini challenges are over and done with?

This is my first dom war, and I must have jumped in at the wrong time .....

Any info = helpful, please provide :)

Thanks

pimeto
03-06-2009, 10:31 AM
So, the main big challenge starts march 12 ? Is that correct ?

darkriddles
03-06-2009, 10:56 AM
So, the main big challenge starts march 12 ? Is that correct ?

yeah, looks like it on the website;) but lets wait and see, im sure we will get informed soon?
http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/index.htm

im kinda excited & nervous about the main challenge! looking forward to it tho ; )

Swizzle
03-08-2009, 08:15 AM
I entered two previous Dominance Wars and, while I didn't win anything, they were hugely educational and they really made me push my personal limits. However, they're not easy to enter and finish for first-timers, so I thought I'd throw together some info for people entering the first time on how things are generally organized.

ENTERING THE COMPETITION:

You need three things to enter Dominance War:

1. An account at whatever forum you're supporting (CGTalk, Polycount, GameArtisans, etc.)

2. An account at GameArtisans.org so you can enter the contest, upload thumbnails of updates to your entry and access areas you need an account for otherwise.

3. A thread on the forum you represent where you post updates of your entry.
You need to post constant updates to get feedback and stay in the competition. If the judges don't see that you've updated your thread regularly, you may be dropped from judging because they might think you are just using old work or otherwise cheating. There will be threads started at GameArtisans.org as well as the forum you represent that will explain the process of entering the competition, so don't worry too much if you don't understand all the rules right away.

PARTICIPATING IN THE COMPETITION:

Dominance War is, even more than a competition, an event where artists from around the world can come together online to help each other and push our art forward. Because of this, work-in-progress threads are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. A thread where you post all your work from preliminary sketches through to the finished product, where you let others comment on your work to help you, offer encouragement and critiques, or just let you know if they think your stuff is cool lets you get new perspectives on your work.

Getting fresh perspectives on your work is necessary to creating something that kicks monumental ass because it lets you see things you've created from a new, different or better point of view. This can help you iron out design issues, work through technical problems (oh, ho ho, the technical problems you'll have...) and give you encouragement if you don't feel like your entry is going as well as it should. To get new perspectives, we have work-in-progress threads for each competitor where you'll post your updates. A teacher once told me to submit work for critique "early and often," and that's some of the best advice I've ever received when it comes to art. Even if you don't keep design concepts your earliest sketches, make sure to post them so that others can at least learn from your design process.

FINISHING THE COMPETITION:

Even if you feel your current skills aren't on par with the best out there, do not, under any circumstances, allow this to stop you from working. Finishing a piece, even if you don't win, is far more important than winning because it will teach you things for next time that will come in handy later in other game art pursuits.

Even if the end product isn't something you're very proud of, being able to say you finished Dominance War is still a huge thing if only for personal pride. It's no easy task to start, work on and finish an entry for a contest of this size and duration, so don't worry about your entry as long as you finish and you get it in on time.

That brings me to my next and final point:

Dominance War, for all its absolutely cutthroat competition and massive creative outpouring, is as much about time management as it is about art. When the competition starts, you'll have a limited window of opportunity in which you can get to work and finish. When it comes time to enter, the first thing you should do, even before you start working on concepts or preliminary designs is to write yourself a schedule, give yourself deadlines you need to meet and STICK TO THEM. Give yourself a deadline for when you should be done concepting, done modeling (one deadline each for high and low-detail versions of your model if you're entering the 3D section), done texturing and done with final presentation.

Manage your time wisely, give yourself margins of error, make sure you have realistic expectations and MAKE YOUR FINAL DEADLINE SET A WEEK BEFORE THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE. Making sure you have enough time to tweak and polish your entry before submitting it (hopefully not at the last minute) is absolutely essential to making sure you don't have to rush your work and turn it in when you're still not finished with it.

I hope this is helpful to anybody who reads it. Good luck to all who enter! See you on the other side.

BluntPencil
03-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Good post, Swizzle - thanks for that. I attempted to enter last year and got off to an okay start, but more or less chickened out in the middle of it. I intend to finish this year. And I will do exactly as you propose: Making a schedule and sticking to it, and not just running headlong into it. Thing like this shouldn't be taken lightly...I am not entering because I believe I've any chance of winning, I'm entering because I want to be a part of the whole wonderful thing - so many creative minds going together, so much amazing input and so much inspiration. Can't wait to get started. :)

StudioMonkey
03-09-2009, 12:47 AM
I'll second that emotion!!!
Great post Swizzle! Thanks :thumbsup:

regimon019
03-09-2009, 05:16 AM
great advice Swizzle! it will really help noobs like me :) I will definitely enter the main war, hope i finish...

Go CGsociety... Get ready for war... Sharpen those weapons (or pens) lol... :)

RaDeaton
03-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Does anyone have any ideas about what the main challenge might be about this time?
Any inside info or maybe just a speculation or two?

I can't wait.

Swizzle
03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Does anyone have any ideas about what the main challenge might be about this time?
Any inside info or maybe just a speculation or two?

I can't wait.I suspect it's going to be something having to do with the battle between heaven and hell, but I could be wildly off.

RaDeaton
03-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I suspect it's going to be something having to do with the battle between heaven and hell, but I could be wildly off.

Really? What makes you think it has to do with heaven and hell?

Oh, and by the by...Luchador Bats...VERY NICE!!!

Swizzle
03-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Really? What makes you think it has to do with heaven and hell?

Oh, and by the by...Luchador Bats...VERY NICE!!!The logo character this year closely resembles illustrations and descriptions of Satan from Dante's Inferno. Last year people guessed right that it was going to be fantasy-themed because of the logo character.

Thanks, by the way. I really need to go back and redo that character. I'm not satisfied with him and I have some new ideas for him that I think would improve him greatly.

Kharn-ivor
03-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi everyone

Thx Swizzle mate, usefull stuff :thumbsup:

One question I had for uz lot, its the first time ill participate in the DW, regarding concept art, are we suposed to create it ourselves or can we use pre existing concept ? I know its good to try it all out but i dont think my concept creating skills ( xD ) are up to the task.

Also typicaly are all rendering solutions allowed ?

K

Dargon
03-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi everyone

Thx Swizzle mate, usefull stuff :thumbsup:

One question I had for uz lot, its the first time ill participate in the DW, regarding concept art, are we suposed to create it ourselves or can we use pre existing concept ? I know its good to try it all out but i dont think my concept creating skills ( xD ) are up to the task.

Also typicaly are all rendering solutions allowed ?

K

I would be extremely surprised if existing concepts would be OK. The comp is half about how awesome your imagination is.

Also, in previous years no advanced techniques like GI or SSS are allowed. They were quite picky even with the real time shaders last year.

Seven
03-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Really looking forward to the main event, im assuming its going to start at midnight tonight EST (about 5am GMT). The mini comp started at midnight if memory serves.

Dont want to have to wait till the end of tomorrow for it to begin :)

Imhotep397
03-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Is it just me or does Dominance War just seem to be a big organizational nightmare? I mean there is a challenge going on now, but it's not really the main challenge, there's multiple segments, sets of rules, multiple categories, meshes or no meshes and then, there's yet another sub challenge maybe in the offing.. Oh yeah, if you go to dominancewar.com there will be no rules there for any of this. I just want to try to enter into the main challenge. I just want to try to enter the main challenge and I feel like I got sucked into a maelstrom.

Swizzle
03-12-2009, 12:52 AM
DomWar is definitely a nightmare when it comes to organization. The past two started late because the site was getting hammered and Fred had his hands full getting everything up and running properly. It took something like a week to get everything ironed out and working smoothly.

Regardless, it seems Fred and company have a better handle on things this year. I'm hoping they can get everything going without a hitch.

heavyness
03-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Really looking forward to the main event, im assuming its going to start at midnight tonight EST (about 5am GMT). The mini comp started at midnight if memory serves.

Dont want to have to wait till the end of tomorrow for it to begin :)

the main challenge won't start on the 12th (like the site says). it will start soon.

tsalvageboy
03-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Bummer,

Was planing on staying up to do some work on it. I'm on the edge of my seat here...

DragonSFX
03-12-2009, 07:17 AM
the main challenge won't start on the 12th (like the site says). it will start soon.

Well... That's just a big kick in the Nurbs Spheres.

colarn42
03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Yah total bummer. I've been checking the site daily at work waiting for the rules and theme for this year. I've decided to enter, and I can't wait for it to begin. *Crosses fingers*

Gyorkland
03-12-2009, 02:21 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!! I felt soo inspired today, you just killed me.

StudioMonkey
03-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Any word yet on when they will announce the top 5's? I am really curious to see who made it in. Lots of great work all around!

OKMER
03-12-2009, 04:14 PM
DomWar is definitely a nightmare when it comes to organization.
yep!, can be quite frustrating these big clocks that goes 3,,2,1......and then just nothing.....
Especially when you're on tight deadlines & stuff yourself.
I sure understand this has to be a lot of work but would have hoped these scheduling issues would have been solved for the 4th edition.

Anyway we are still the 12th...
Come on GA!:)

Seven
03-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Aftermath over on GA posted this:

Sorry for the lack of comments we're hard at work on our end trying to get this started for you guys. It has been delayed until saturday due to system bugs and translations and finalizing sponsors.

Looks like saturday is the day!

Gyorkland
03-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I was continuously pressing f5 to see if a miracle happens and the DW page updates and show the main rules, and I saw a little chart at the right that I donīt fully understand but I think it is pretty clear that Cg Society hasnīt won any DW not even 3rd place, how is that possible? no offense but Iīve seen the other forums like Gameartisans, Poly count, CgLand, and they have good jobs there, but their galleries are not as impressive as in CGSociety. I think that if only half of the people that entered the steampunk challenge, enter DW it just wouldnīt be a war, it would be a massacre.Well anyway, lets give our best this year and aim for top 3 and not just top 50.
just sharing some thoughts here, the waiting is killing me.

Gyorkland
03-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Alright, Thanks Seven for the info, Saturday it is, now I can relax.

heavyness
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I was continuously pressing f5 to see if a miracle happens...

that doesn't really help the server. both the main challenge and the results from the mini challenge have been pushed back a couple days.

Gyorkland
03-12-2009, 04:54 PM
that doesn't really help the server. .

I was exagerating, I was just checking the website

Kharn-ivor
03-12-2009, 05:38 PM
that doesn't really help the server. .

Gyorkland mate youve borken the server, its all your fault :p hehe

Aaa damn it, now everyone is going to hate me for saying that I can't see them today because of a challenge, theyll think I lied lol.

But yeah i agree its suprising no one form Cgsociety has won anything, then again have only been 3 and ppl posting in the Cgsociety gallery could be on the team of other forums for this challenge... spies! :p

K-

ScudzAlmighty
03-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I donīt fully understand but I think it is pretty clear that Cg Society hasnīt won any DW not even 3rd place, how is that possible? no offense but Iīve seen the other forums like Gameartisans, Poly count, CgLand, and they have good jobs there, but their galleries are not as impressive as in CGSociety. I think that if only half of the people that entered the steampunk challenge, enter DW it just wouldnīt be a war, it would be a massacre.Well anyway, lets give our best this year and aim for top 3 and not just top 50.
just sharing some thoughts here, the waiting is killing me.

mostly it's because i haven't finished an entry:D

seriously though, i've found that alot of the top talent here are also members of the competing forums, and in many cases they were there first, meaning come war-time, thats who they fight for. i'm pretty sure Gavin came in top 10 for the DomII.

walrus
03-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Also, CGSociety hasn't participated in all three Dominance Wars. The first DW was just between GameArtisans/CGChat and PolyCount, and then in DWII, CGSociety and 3DTotal were added. And in all fairness, quite a number of CGSociety entries were in the top 20 in both 2D and 3D divisions last year.

Swizzle
03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Most people who enter the big CG challenges around here aren't interested in game art in the least, so you wouldn't see most of them enter anyway. There are also different judging standards and criteria for high-end CG like the challenges here and things like Dominance War. High-detail, film quality stuff has basically no limits so you can push your hardware to the absolute far reaches of what it can handle. You can use a single 8k texture for a person's finger if you want and nobody will bat an eye, but you have to stick to tight technical constraints even these days when doing game art because the hardware needs to be able to run a game at good framerates (30+ FPS) while displaying your model onscreen with all its fancy textures and stuff along with everything else that makes the game come together like environments, physics, animation, sound and post effects like motion blur and film grain.

Most people, for various reasons, aren't interested in sticking to tight constraints like that, so you won't see them joining the fray. Those of us on CGTalk that are interested in game art are actually relatively few in number... which is why the game art sub-forum on here doesn't see a lot of activity. The people on here who do a lot of game art and are very good at it also tend to belong to places like Polycount or have jobs and can't compete, so there's another reason you don't often see as many astounding entries from this camp.

Gyorkland
03-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I think you are right maybe they participate on other teams ot like Swizzle said some donīt even care.
and Yes Walrus I know that many CgSociety have been in top 20, I even remember that you were like 14 last year but all I am saying is that we havenīt take the gold, the silver or the bronze probably is because of what you say that weīve been only in two wars.

well Like I said lets aim for the GOLD this year, we deserve it

rhemrev
03-12-2009, 10:39 PM
I've never participated in Dominance Wars uptill now, but I can't wait to start on the Main challenge this year! I already had lots of fun with the warcommander, eventhough I had to rush at the end to make the deadline.

And since cgtalk.com has been my default start up page since like, forever, I kinda owe it to this forum to participate under their colors ! So add one guy that draws really silly cartoon characters to the team! :D

Now all they need to do is post up the actualy topic for the main challenge...what was that about making deadlines again? :P

-Edwin

Stinkfist
03-13-2009, 12:13 AM
I hope the rules are less restrictive than last year. If you're forced to make some friggin' magic elf dragon wizard bullshit Im not entering.

Swizzle
03-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I hope the rules are less restrictive than last year. If you're forced to make some friggin' magic elf dragon wizard bullshit Im not entering.Well, they have a new theme each year and that means you can stick to the theme or you just don't have to enter. Last year it was fantasy themed, the year before it was sci-fi, before that it was a bit of both.

Besides, they pick themes that reflect trends and common sorts of designs you see in the game industry. There are lots and lots of sci-fi and fantasy games, so it's entirely reasonable to have a sci-fi or fantasy themed contest because it would reflect the kind of jobs you might have to do if you have a job at a studio.

dmightyone
03-13-2009, 02:03 AM
less restrictive? i dont think last year's rules were restrictive at all, in fact they were pretty open and kinda vague, you could do pretty much anything u wanted. some people did fantasy stuff, some did sci-fi, and there were even some realistic stuff. also good point swizzle, fantasy and sci-fi are themes widely used in the game industry, i dont see why not.

Kharn-ivor
03-13-2009, 02:30 AM
Mhh yes the way I see it is that as an artist you may not like the theme but a game must sell and thus has to relate to the trends (most of the time obviously its good for people to try new things)

Plus it adds to the challenge and makes the pieces more relevent compaired with what is seen in games, and thats what we are hired on (partly :p).

and well apart from fanatsy and sci-fi what would you suggest? Thoses two themes are massive in themselves.

K-

Dreamer
03-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Can't wait, long time since i did realtime graphics but will give it my best. Want to uppdate my reel so i can go towards games instead of commercials/film.

Wouldnt it be cool if there was a game created with all the awsome characters made. Either 3d person adventure or a fighting game like tekken/streetfighter.

paperclip
03-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm hoping for pirates.

from GA:

March 12th 2009
Dominance War IV – Delayed until March 15th 2009
To insure this massive event runs smoothly, the rules, sponsors and systems are being checked one last time before launch.
http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/images/spacing.gif
Almost there...

Seven
03-13-2009, 12:01 PM
This comp is going to be brilliant! I cant wait. The only disappointing thing about it being launched on Sunday, is that it is towards the end of the weekend. I had left this weekend free, oh well :)

SinisterUrge
03-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Not so bad, gives me enough time to finish the Lamborghini I'm working on

BaronImpossible
03-13-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm hoping for pirates

And I'm hoping for costumed crime-fighters. Takes all sorts, eh?

paperclip
03-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Maybe it'll be costumed crime-fighting pirates?

Or costumed crime-fighting pirate polar bears, just for that extra level of difficulty.

Gyorkland
03-13-2009, 02:37 PM
This comp is going to be brilliant! I cant wait. The only disappointing thing about it being launched on Sunday, is that it is towards the end of the weekend. I had left this weekend free, oh well :)

Sunday??? is that official?

heavyness
03-13-2009, 02:38 PM
costumed crime-fighting pirate polar bears

how did you find out the theme?!?!?!?...

StudioMonkey
03-13-2009, 02:56 PM
The internet, man, nothing is a secret anymore!!! :argh:

paperclip
03-13-2009, 03:19 PM
how did you find out the theme?!?!?!?...

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/clippy06/It_are_a_fact.jpg

Swizzle
03-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Paperclip, I don't think I can properly express my new found love for you adequately, so here's sup kitty.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/xkostolny/Sup.jpg

NavigatorJones
03-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Can't wait, long time since i did realtime graphics but will give it my best. Want to uppdate my reel so i can go towards games instead of commercials/film.

Wouldnt it be cool if there was a game created with all the awsome characters made. Either 3d person adventure or a fighting game like tekken/streetfighter.

Or if we could all inject our characters into the UT system and fight eachother 8D!

We totally did that in my class! It was awsome!

paperclip
03-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Paperclip, I don't think I can properly express my new found love for you adequately, so here's sup kitty.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/xkostolny/Sup.jpg

Lol, a marriage proposal and a sup kitty from cgsociety all in two days....I'm doing well.....

Love your kitty by the way, she looks like one I used to have. But let's not derail this thread TOO much. I'm going to turn it back on topic by suggesting that we all have one 'in joke' type thing in our images, like a tiny mascot...like back in the Journey begins challenge, a bunch of us managed to fit godrays into our image SOMEWHERE. It was epic. :D The judges must have wondered what was going on....

Swizzle
03-14-2009, 12:48 AM
That's not actually my cat. Hell, I don't even like cats. I find lolcats amusing, though.

I'm going to turn it back on topic by suggesting that we all have one 'in joke' type thing in our images, like a tiny mascot...like back in the Journey begins challenge, a bunch of us managed to fit godrays into our image SOMEWHERE. It was epic. :D The judges must have wondered what was going on....Well, I dunno about anybody else, but I fully intend to stick the Lobster Johnson lobster claw right on the palm of my character's hand in the specular map.

paperclip
03-14-2009, 01:45 AM
I come with valuable information!

I was meandering around the GA website to pick up any possible valuable clues and what did I see (from none other but our very own walrus) that a very possible clue is 'magic-using robots'.

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showpost.php?p=90210&postcount=62

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[/spy mode]

Swizzle
03-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Personally, I hope it doesn't have anything to do with robots. I'm not a big fan of fiddly little mechanical bits, so I really hope it's more like the last comp. Also, the main image with the guy who has horns and wings doesn't seem like it would lend itself to a more sci-fi based contest.

paperclip
03-14-2009, 01:58 AM
I agree with you. Frankly, after doing the steampunk challenge, I've had enough nuts and bolts to last me for at least one more competition...
Another thing I found out- the results from the mini challenge should be coming out fairly soon......woo.....I think I know who's going through from our team.....

dmightyone
03-14-2009, 05:14 AM
i think its gonna be more towards post-apocalyptic thing, like some sort of heaven and hell thing, since fredH really seems to like the theme, and the main banner suggests... but who knows.

Swizzle
03-14-2009, 05:29 AM
i think its gonna be more towards post-apocalyptic thing, like some sort of heaven and hell thing, since fredH really seems to like the theme, and the main banner suggests... but who knows.Like I said earlier in this thread, I think it's going to be based on the war between heaven and hell. The main banner character bears a striking resemblance to Satan as he appeared in Dante's Inferno. That could be a really cool theme if it comes through.

OKMER
03-14-2009, 06:43 AM
Yeah!!Totaly in for a easteregg in our pics!we were talking about a mimosa:-)

Yeeh, always loved costumed crime-fighting pirate polar bears!
Great!!!I love the way their clear fur works out with bright colors of the crime fighting pirate costumes!

syrez-one
03-14-2009, 02:30 PM
lol, had quite a laugh after these pages :)

as i'm always a bit to much self-critical with my stuff and felt like falling into a creativity or better self confidence hole after the mini .. i think this will be a good purpose and task to learn lots of new things and keep me steady.. and any theme is welcome ..

but religious crime fighting polar bears battling for heaven and hell, damn i'm in!!? i might join for a virtual drink now :p

what about pandas? *G*

paperclip
03-14-2009, 02:51 PM
How about....a polar bear with panda eyes holding a mimosa in a hand which has a lobster on it? I'm sure everyone can fit one into their picture in an inconspicuous way...

Swizzle
03-14-2009, 04:31 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/xkostolny/lobsterjohnsonclaw.png

Obmoc
03-14-2009, 07:32 PM
What's up guys.. I know I don't frequent very often but I just wanted to say hey and that I'll be fighting here again this year. Hopefully I can finish this year and actually show something nice in my portfolio. I hope you guys will lend your expertise like you did last year and hopefully motivate me to finish. Good luck to everyone. I hope we kick some ass this year in the comp. The medal count to me is sad. We need to show up this year.

paperclip
03-14-2009, 07:38 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/xkostolny/lobsterjohnsonclaw.png

This needs more explanation,,,

Swizzle
03-14-2009, 07:50 PM
That is the claw of Lobster Johnson, slayer of Nazis and gangsters. He burns that into the foreheads of those he kills.

BaronImpossible
03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
And there's me thinking someone had won first prize in a doughnut eating competition

paperclip
03-14-2009, 09:54 PM
And there's me thinking someone had won first prize in a doughnut eating competition

lol

Oh, I love the pre-competition vibe. It should be beginning tomorrow.....we need to annihilate the other forums, so let's make sure to all help each other as much as possible. We're only as strong as our weakest link, so the saying goes...

lightcache
03-14-2009, 10:12 PM
sounds interesting. hope it is heaven v hell, as anyone thats read the amber spyglass would have some good ideas :)

OKMER
03-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Costumed crime-fighting pirate polar bears, Nazi slaying donuts,Mimosa drinking pandas, Post-apocalyptic beerdrinking thunder squirrels

This got to be our year.

StudioMonkey
03-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Post-apocalyptic beerdrinking thunder squirrels

awesome :thumbsup:

Obmoc
03-15-2009, 03:48 AM
Angels and demons sounds sweet, but I was thinking rabbit zombie pirates sounded like a interesting mix. 10:48 almost there.... need more caffine.

danpants
03-15-2009, 04:01 AM
I can't wait hopefully I can at least finish this time and I want to bring at least 1 medal for cgsociety.

Obmoc
03-15-2009, 04:14 AM
50 min and counting. That alchemy program is pretty sweet by the way if anyone has not tried it yet. In a matter a minutes a unique silhouette can be created and used for something. Just depends on what you see in the ink blobs.

Swizzle
03-15-2009, 04:25 AM
50 min and counting.I wouldn't count on everything going up right at midnight or whatever; Dominance War time is a bit like Valve time (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time).

Obmoc
03-15-2009, 04:37 AM
Swizzle, didn't they post the info at midnight last year. I remember staying up late to see the post and begin work. This year I really hope to finish. There are no excuses this year. No moving, no baby on the way. It's put up or shut up time. I dieing to show you guys what I can do. By the way the Batman model in the portfolio is sweet.

Swizzle
03-15-2009, 04:53 AM
Well, they're apparently testing everything out and making sure it works before they do anything. There are a couple of test threads over on GA.org that show FredH and somebody else having entered DW4, so at least some of the system is working. Now they just need to get everything online for everybody in all the different languages, and that's no small task.

Thanks, by the way. A lot of people seem to really like that Batman model.

Dargon
03-15-2009, 08:15 AM
It has begun.

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/rules/en.php

colarn42
03-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Dominance War is upon us!! Ooh I can't wait. You guys were close with your guessing of the theme this year. Which side will you pick?!

Dargon
03-15-2009, 09:01 AM
I'll be a Demon I think, I've got some cool things cooking around in my head for that.

Go CGSociety!!!

We're going to roast them this year. I know it.

NordicNinja
03-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Very cool.

The Demon Lord stood out as a fun one to try. I think it would lend itself to a very organic creation process. That's always a ton of fun! Time to get busy....after some sleep of course.

After seeing what went down for the mini challenge I'm really excited to see what everyone comes up with for the main event. :)

jett12
03-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Ohhh this will be my 1st DW, I am thinking a Cyborg sounds like fun... i wish i could do an invoking demon cyborg though :D

gl everyone

Ferx
03-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Cool !! Really cool theme, Magic, tech and the dark side, yeaaa!!! hahahaha :D
Remko can be happy , he could develop his demon "pandasquirrel" :D

I think many of participants of DW III are going for demons or machines, because the DW III theme was the norms and magic, but is cool the wide options to choose :)

Good luck to all !! we are in the best team!! CGS rules! Cheers!! ( time to make a large supply of coffee (with rum) , beer, tequila and mimosas :D) :beer:

DragonSFX
03-15-2009, 09:27 AM
are wip threads supposed to be started here in cgsociety; or over in GA?

or is there nothing for us to "officially" do until the entry system is up and running?

-L

Ferx
03-15-2009, 09:39 AM
are wip threads supposed to be started here in cgsociety; or over in GA?

or is there nothing for us to "officially" do until the entry system is up and running?

-L

WIP thread be started in CGsociety, if you go for the CGS team. You can submit progress too, via Game artisans submision system, but is mandatory that you post first your progress on the forum thread. You can star sketching ideas before general CGS DW IV thread opens :D . I Think that in a couple hours will be open.

j4Q
03-15-2009, 09:40 AM
hey
when they public a cg society finalists of Mini Challenge? i miss something?

Dylock91
03-15-2009, 10:04 AM
So unbelievably excited!!! Either a Demon prince or norm warlord for me I think...:applause:

ersinerturk
03-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Rules say "Races and Character Classes: (choose only one. No combinations of any sort are allowed. Any forum is allowed to choose any race and class)"
Does that mean only forums are allowed to choose race and class, and we have to do something with that class and race?

paperclip
03-15-2009, 10:10 AM
hey

Results are out in June. I hate the DW website, it's unbelievably difficult to navigate...

Kharn-ivor
03-15-2009, 10:26 AM
A cool it has started :)

Mhh i wonder if the demon lords are suposed to be bestial or "civilised" looking, like generals almost.

anyways i noticed this :
11:59 p.m Eastern Time, Monday, May 11th, 2009

we have a hole two month ? o0 isnt that a bit much ?

K-

jett12
03-15-2009, 10:30 AM

Mhh i wonder if the demon lords are suposed to be bestial or "civilised" looking, like generals almost.

anyways i noticed this :

K-

well some people have lives and jobs so i guess they are compensating :D :D

DragonSFX
03-15-2009, 10:33 AM
anyways i noticed this :

K-

i don't know about you... but that 2 months will go really quick with a full-time job. if you feel that it is too much time, enter both, the 2d and the 3d challenge :-]. that should slow you down a bit... i was actually thinking that a couple extra weeks would be better :-P

-L

paperclip
03-15-2009, 10:34 AM

anyways i noticed this :

K-

I suppose it depends on which group you go into- the demons would be more bestial (I'm guessing the DW main picture is supposed to be one) and the 'norms' more, well, normal. I'll probably do a norm....although I have a feeling the beasts will be more well received by D & D types.

Kharn-ivor
03-15-2009, 10:43 AM
well some people have lives and jobs so i guess they are compensating :D :D

Toucher ^^

As for entering the 2D challenge ,DragonSFX , i think that wouldnt just slow me down but kill me ^^

I'll probably do a norm....although I have a feeling the beasts will be more well received by D & D types.

Yeah I think we ll probably see lots of deamons in the finals, especially due to public voting.

Anyways good luck to everyone :) Ill try and constructivly crit everyones work on here.

K

Ferx
03-15-2009, 10:44 AM

anyways i noticed this :

K-

I have always thought that the devil wears tuxedo :D :D
Seriously, one of the demon classes are "Demon princes" they can be more "sophisticated" :D

Ferx
03-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah I think we ll probably see lots of deamons in the finals, especially due to public voting.

K

In the main DW IV challenge there are not public voting :)

OKMER
03-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Kharn-ivor

anyways i noticed this :

K-

Do not underestimate the time you'll need to come up with a complete entry.
It takes time!(sheets, presenting, etc)
And having 2 months when you got a family and a full-time job(or 2)
isn't a luxury at all.
Guess they did this so everybody can participate no matter you're a student of a family man with a job.
That's cool.

Originally Posted by j4Q
hey

Each forum will have a certain number of finalist which will be announced very soon now(today, tommorow?)
THen in June amongts all those that came through The jury will pick out the winner.

Do Robotic Demon Norms count?

wenart
03-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi, I am a newbie here, I want to ask about the "Your character MUST possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia/logo" rules.

what is the team`s colour and the insignia? does each forum have a different colour as Identity, for example, cgtalk Identity colour is black and red, so should we have these two colour on our character and have an insignia placed somewhere in the character?

j4Q
03-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Results are out in June. I hate the DW website, it's unbelievably difficult to navigate...

tnx but im still dont undertand., if Start Date: May 15th 2009 ,and results are in june so how i know im pass the first round in minichallenge?
feel hang-over, last night im drink toooo much.... mayby later im get it..
:banghead:

Ferx
03-15-2009, 10:55 AM
...and the 'norms' more, well, normal. ....

:D hahahahaha cool! Think that the norms are great option, really cool classes, and they can be really freaks :D

Ferx
03-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Do Robotic Demon Norms count?

No, you only can choose one type; Norms or Machines or Demons.... a shame, because a Robot-demon-norm sounds cool hahahaha :D

paperclip
03-15-2009, 11:03 AM
So, um.........do we start now?

I'm thinking of going competely the other way and doing a really happy painting, lol, everyone's will be really dark and moody and mine will be light and cute :)

Ferx
03-15-2009, 11:08 AM

I'm thinking of going competely the other way and doing a really happy painting, lol, everyone's will be really dark and moody and mine will be light and cute :)

Theresa, that is a very clever decision :D Want to see your concepts :D You always have great ideas and sketches :) (post apocalyptic sunshine day sounds cool!! :D)

aelwine
03-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Hi, I am a newbie here, I want to ask about the "Your character MUST possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia/logo" rules.

what is the team`s colour and the insignia? does each forum have a different colour as Identity, for example, cgtalk Identity colour is black and red, so should we have these two colour on our character and have an insignia placed somewhere in the character?

basically, you need to have the forum colors on your character.
the colors for Cgtalk and the logo can be found here :
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=728088

As I understand it you can be a bit creative with you use of colors but you still need those colors (red and dark grey). What I'm not really sure though is the way the sentence implies that it can be the colors OR the logo.
Do we really need both or only one of those is enough ? And I guess if you can pick only one and just use the colors, the colors scheme must make pretty obvious of which forum you belong. Can someone confirm or infirm my thoughts on the subject ?

By the way this year topic is pretty broad, it'll be great
It'll be my first time entering it and i hope I'll have enough free time to finish it by may, It'll be fun :D

Good luck everyone, let's try this time to have cgtalk win it's first medal :bounce:

ROBOTTANK
03-15-2009, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE= ( time to make a large supply of coffee (with rum) , beer, tequila and mimosas :D) :beer:[/QUOTE]

Ferx: Lol, you say this a lot, you drink too much dude! put the tequila away, it's time to get busy! :) haha

syrez-one
03-15-2009, 11:22 AM
wow, up till now, i did not went that much into what has to be done at the main challenge, these are huge tasks .. either 3d or 2d. also i can't decide yet, guess i'm rolling dice eh? sounds all very interesting.. but will have a thought about it tomorrow, still got a headache from yesterdays drinks at birthday party haha :)

and yeah paperclip u're absolutly right, we are all as strong as the weakest link, so let us help each other out as much as we can.. :)

wenart
03-15-2009, 11:38 AM
aelwine : (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=138661)

many thanks for the answer, actually I already joined the DM III, but I didnt make it through.. my WIP stopped in the concept part :( so I didnt understand much about dominance war, well,... I hope I can finish my war this time :D good luck all :D

ROBOTTANK
03-15-2009, 12:00 PM
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/images/ball.gif Pets and steeds are allowed for all races.

Are pets allowed to have weapons, or do they need to be unequipped ??

Kharn-ivor
03-15-2009, 12:08 PM
As I understand it you can be a bit creative with you use of colors but you still need those colors (red and dark grey). What I'm not really sure though is the way the sentence implies that it can be the colors OR the logo.
Do we really need both or only one of those is enough ? And I guess if you can pick only one and just use the colors, the colors scheme must make pretty obvious of which forum you belong. Can someone confirm or infirm my thoughts on the subject ?

Yes good point, Imrod was a 3Dtotal entry and he was red and black but did have the logo.

Are pets allowed to have weapons, or do they need to be unequipped ??
probably depends on the the Race.

K

OKMER
03-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Your character got to have the forum colors OR the forum insignia.
Both if you want:-)

Don't know if pets can have weapons, Maybe ask FredH...

Could be fun to have a big gun as pet :D, it's clean,doesn't lose his hair(except if you got a longhair gun)and helps you get rid of annoying people.
And you can feed them with bullets.
Cool!

NavigatorJones
03-15-2009, 12:17 PM
"Abomination (includes undead)
Abominations are disfigured creatures and undead who make up 96% of all creatures in demonic dimensions. Abominations do not possess a fusion with any element and during combat, they use weapons or their bare teeth and claws to slaughter their foes."

Undead?! So wait, does that mean you can make a humanoid-ish thing so long as it looks 'undead'?? XD!!!

Edit: Also, I looked through a lot of the top 20 entries for DW3 and it seems that you can have either your team colours, OR team logo, OR both...

But please someone offical clarify for us!

Ferx
03-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Ferx: Lol, you say this a lot, you drink too much dude! put the tequila away, it's time to get busy! :) haha

And how do I get inspiration? :D We need to be prepared, really long nights are coming, two months are a short time... Cheers!! :beer:

OKMER
03-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Don't Mind Fernando, I'll be drinking with you :beer::D

paperclip
03-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Time to throw around some concepts!
I was thinking I'd do a 'norm' in a beautiful sunny environment, he's a healer doctor fixing up one of the beasts- with the war raging on in the distance, way behind him, so the apocalypse is going on over the mountains, whereas here it's sunny and he's surrounded by flowers, little animals...and this beast who is completely out of his environment and is being tended to by this rather kindly old man with herbal medicines in his many pockets... :D

Ferx
03-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Your character got to have the forum colors OR the forum insignia.
Both if you want:-)

Don't know if pets can have weapons, Maybe ask FredH...

Could be fun to have a big gun as pet :D, it's clean,doesn't lose his hair(except if you got a longhair gun)and helps you get rid of annoying people.
And you can feed them with bullets.
Cool!

cool idea :D !! or maybe we could have a big tequila bottle as pet. it's clean, helps to clean wounds, you can drink it. And be useful for any sickness, if you donīt cure, at least you forget :D ....

Izuael
03-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Sorry if this already have been taken up, but couldn't find anything about it either at dominance war site or here.

Stupid question maybe, but...
If you made the first mini-challenge, does that mean you are now locked to represent that forum? Or can I change?

OKMER
03-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Stupid question maybe, but...
If you made the first mini-challenge, does that mean you are now locked to represent that forum? Or can I change?
Nope you cant:shrug:...

Intervain
03-15-2009, 01:12 PM
I think I might try to join in this year :) Clericons [Norms in general] sound tempting... will do some thinking first. In any case best of luck to all taking part and may CGTALK finally get that top spot :arteest::buttrock:

NavigatorJones
03-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Ahh another question, for Abominations/undead, do they have to be purely organic, or can we incorporate metal moving parts. Like, wheel-like contraptions, bolts, studs, straps, and things like the old instruments for setting broken bones, dentist equipment(the old kind) ect. ??

BaronImpossible
03-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Hell of a topic. I reckon I'll spend a day or two thinking about it.

Izuael
03-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Nope you cant:shrug:...

Ok, thanks. Then I know. I just wondered because some class mates are perhaps joining too and would be fun to be at the same place. :)

varunbondwal
03-15-2009, 01:45 PM
the war has started http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/rules/en.php

Crix Dorius
03-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Machines Scout sounds *purr* to me. :D

OKMER
03-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Paperclip:
whereas here it's sunny and he's surrounded by flowers

Woodstockwars Theresa?

:D:beer:

regimon019
03-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Ei CG society People! The war is ON... cant wait to get started...

the demon race sounds so good... maybe i'll go that direction...

Demon Lord... Wahahaha! :D

Good Luck to Everyone...

cant wait for the studies...

Ei guys... I gotta question... where do we make the threads for our entries? thanks!

wenart
03-15-2009, 03:31 PM
its says "the Main Challenge will not start on March 12th. the starting date has been pushed back, but it will be starting soon." ( dont know when it`ll started)

I guess we must wait then . . . .

Izuael
03-15-2009, 04:00 PM
its says "the Main Challenge will not start on March 12th. the starting date has been pushed back, but it will be starting soon." ( dont know when it`ll started)

I guess we must wait then . . . .

It started today, march 15th. :)

wenart
03-15-2009, 04:54 PM
oohh.. ok, people starting to make their thread XD, I`ll make one too

conor
03-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi people, well the war has started and we have to help each other to make the best ideas, just like paperclip (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=92679) said. I think is great that they give us 8 weeks to finish, still i think is not enough. The most time should be brainstorming ideas and coming up with good concepts , the rest (painting , details) should be more easy. I have a question about the demon classes: in the fusion of power-- death/darkness. Can anyone give me an example of what this power looks like? Good luck to all!!

GaeasHerald
03-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Wicked, demons! CGsociety will kick ass this year for sure.
Better start sketching...
Good luck everybody!

Cyborgguineapig
03-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Its going to be interesting to see how people take the demon route in an original way besides the two horned fire breathing bore we've all gotten too familiar with. That said the machine scout sounds pretty interesting to me right now.

lironmiron
03-15-2009, 05:54 PM
I have a question about the demon classes: in the fusion of power-- death/darkness. Can anyone give me an example of what this power looks like? Good luck to all!!
The most common representation of this power, throughout the ages has been as black smoke or black mist. Which makes sense since it's darkness. Recently purple smoke has become quite prevalent. Also mixtures of those two. Green flames are also a popular alternative.

Often, it is not the power that is seen, but its result. For example, the life force/soul of the victim as it is absorbed by the invisible power. This would be much harder to show in this kind of contest, since you can't show the victims.

Temporal
03-15-2009, 06:29 PM
The result needn't necessarily be shown as the victim. You can also have that power of death be shown in the demon. Gray/pale/dead skin, muscles or skin sloughing off bones, or a mount that exhibits these features.

Dargon
03-15-2009, 08:01 PM
So, do we start threads then? I'm assuming when the comp goes fully live and we're able to "join", it will auto-create a thread for us? Do we make one in the meantime to show our progress before we "join"?

ahmedadel0077
03-15-2009, 08:04 PM
ok guys , sorry for the stupid question , but what does "Your character MUST possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia/logo." mean ?? , where do i get these colors ?!!

Crix Dorius
03-15-2009, 08:10 PM
ok guys , sorry for the stupid question , but what does "Your character MUST possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia/logo." mean ?? , where do i get these colors ?!!

Here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=728088) :D

conor
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
The most common representation of this power, throughout the ages has been as black smoke or black mist. Which makes sense since it's darkness. Recently purple smoke has become quite prevalent. Also mixtures of those two. Green flames are also a popular alternative.

Often, it is not the power that is seen, but its result. For example, the life force/soul of the victim as it is absorbed by the invisible power. This would be much harder to show in this kind of contest, since you can't show the victims.

The result needn't necessarily be shown as the victim. You can also have that power of death be shown in the demon. Gray/pale/dead skin, muscles or skin sloughing off bones, or a mount that exhibits these features.

Thank you guys, Lironmiron and Temporal. I have a very clear idea now of what the fusion of power-- death/darkness is.

ahmedadel0077
03-15-2009, 08:22 PM
ok i still don't understand , all i see is a logo , and a palette with red color and some grey , so where is the teams ?!! , which colors should i include if i am going for demon character ?!
sorry i am new here :D

Crix Dorius
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
ok i still don't understand , all i see is a logo , and a palette with red color and some grey , so where is the teams ?!! , which colors should i include if i am going for demon character ?!

No problem... :D

Thats our Logo and colors.
You should integrate the colors and/ or the logo into your work like here (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/finals_cgsociety_2d_1239.html).

Well... what colors you use and where... that`s you choice.

DragonSFX
03-15-2009, 09:55 PM

if you are participating through CGSociety, these are your colors irregardless of which entry you are making. if you were participating thru a different forum, i.e. Game Artisans, your colors would be different.

hth,
Levi

DanielCortes
03-16-2009, 12:33 AM

I love the idea of a tequila drinking pet hanging of a druids shoulder healing the big bruits while Joe Cocker is singing "a little help for my friends" in the back ground, I can almost see it. Cant wait!!!

regimon019
03-16-2009, 12:36 AM
ei guys i've a question... i just want to be sure... I've decided on working on a Demon Prince... my question is,, could it be a princess? female?

thanks

DanielCortes
03-16-2009, 12:39 AM
ei guys i've a question... i just want to be sure... I've decided on working on a Demon Prince... my question is,, could it be a princess? female?

thanks
if shes ugly enough, I don't see why not :thumbsup:

regimon019
03-16-2009, 12:48 AM
if shes ugly enough, I don't see why not :thumbsup:

hehe... maybe not that ugly... just scary... thanks

dmckim
03-16-2009, 05:02 AM
I'm pondering doing the Machine Scout thats an animal/machine hybrid. Does anyone know how picky they are going to be on the animal? Does this animal side just have to bare a strong resemblance to a real animal or be very very close to one. Meaning can I make up parts to make it more interesting while still knowing what animal it is? It seems pretty open ended so im leaning towards the strong resemblance side...

jett12
03-16-2009, 05:07 AM
My concept is a Demon Prince who was capture by cyborgs and made semi mechanical, now hes out for blood :D (in a nutshell)

would this cross the line of 2 races? its technically just a Demon Prince with some mechanical features which is not against the rules, and since they don't require a backstory, i assume that's fine.

Can anyone tell me for sure?

DragonSFX
03-16-2009, 05:08 AM
I'm pondering doing the Machine Scout thats an animal/machine hybrid. Does anyone know how picky they are going to be on the animal? Does this animal side just have to bare a strong resemblance to a real animal or be very very close to one. Meaning can I make up parts to make it more interesting while still knowing what animal it is? It seems pretty open ended so im leaning towards the strong resemblance side...

since a scout can be completely mechanical, i don't see why the particulars of the animal, if used, would be that important. i also don't see why it would necessarily have to be a real animal...

DragonSFX
03-16-2009, 05:11 AM
My concept is a Demon Prince who was capture by cyborgs and made semi mechanical, now hes out for blood :D (in a nutshell)

would this cross the line of 2 races? its technically just a Demon Prince with some mechanical features which is not against the rules, and since they don't require a backstory, i assume that's fine.

Can anyone tell me for sure?

Races and Character Classes: (choose only one. No combinations of any sort are allowed. Any forum is allowed to choose any race and class)

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/rules/en.php

=======================

come on guys (and girls)... most of the info is right there in the rules. read them twice if you are not sure.

-L

Isatche
03-16-2009, 05:33 AM
This would be much harder to show in this kind of contest, since you can't show the victims.
I seem to miss something? Where did you read that you cannot show victims?
Who will my character kill then? :D

j4Q
03-16-2009, 08:19 AM
hej
i have question about DEMON PRINCE sex, it must be a male or can i make a Princess?

DragonSFX
03-16-2009, 08:21 AM
hej
i have question about DEMON PRINCE sex, it must be a male or can i make a Princess?

this has been answered 3 times already in this thread. read.

AG3D
03-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone...good luck to all.

euh..i just have a question about the scout...

they say that it could be like an animal....

but...it could...it's not an obligation?

and just to be sure...they say it has to be in a post-apocalyptic theme.

so i can put guns if i choose a norms..

just to be sure...

thanks for the answer

Gyorkland
03-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Basically is a mix from previous DWars the Norms from DWIII and the Machines from DWII rigth? the new ones are the deamons that I donīt think they are really that new cause they would fit perfectly on DWIII,
Anyway I have a question, the Elements for the Norms, can we mix them up this year? last year we couldnīt cause it was in the rules but now all I read is that you cannot mix races or classes

EarVant
03-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Two quick questions (sorry if I missed a question and now ask it again, kinda sick and fuzzy in the head):
1) DemonLord has no human characteristics at all, what does this entail?
Does this mean we aren't supposed to use any stand-up-humanoid figure, instead do blob-like/animalistic forms and volumes?

2) Can the MOD, or someone with the rights take the time and summarize the most common questions here, and collect the most accurate answers, and then edit them all into the 1 page of this thread?

jokenadrian
03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Question
1. Are we allowed to have a friend draw a concept for our character design.

Example. I want to have my friend Ian draw the concept up. Then i was going to take it from there and do the rest. Simply just using his concept for the competition?
Is that allowed?

Ferx
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Question
1. Are we allowed to have a friend draw a concept for our character design.

Example. I want to have my friend Ian draw the concept up. Then i was going to take it from there and do the rest. Simply just using his concept for the competition?
Is that allowed?

Nop, you can do that, "No Teams, groups or collaborations. Everything must be made by 1 single person. " (from dominance IV rules : http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/rules/en.php ) :) Hope that be useful

Ginseng
03-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Am I missing something here from the FAQ or is the deadline for this challenge wrong?
Or...is that for the mini challenge?

CHALLENGE DEADLINE:

Anyone know the actual date Dominance IV closes?

DragonSFX
03-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Am I missing something here from the FAQ or is the deadline for this challenge wrong?

CHALLENGE DEADLINE:

i don't understand the question? what is wrong with that date? that is the date posted on the rules page the last time i looked.

Crix Dorius
03-16-2009, 10:53 PM

CHALLENGE DEADLINE:

Today we have March... not May... DWIV Main-Challenge closes in 1,5 months.

Ginseng
03-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Wow, work has gotten into my head...I thought I read March. Thanks for clearing up guys.

Crix Dorius
03-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Wow, work has gotten into my head...I thought I read March. Thanks for clearing up guys.

No problem. :D

Sometimes I forget which month we have, too.

Isatche
03-17-2009, 11:43 AM
I want to make a norm character with amputated arm which is replaced by ghostly force-like arm. But I am not sure if it fits into Invoker class?

EarVant
03-17-2009, 03:04 PM
That's actually right up the alley of a invoker if u ask me... Lost a limb and relies on his/her knowledge and control of the elements to complete his body. An elemental extension of himself, which would at 1st glance show which element he favors... If I haven't decided on mine yet, I would have said:
'Hey look, a dead fish *points to the sky*' and then *Joink*!

Sepulverture
03-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I just want to ask to be sure, the logo and colors used for the minichallene are also being used for the final challenge, right?

DragonSFX
03-17-2009, 07:19 PM
The rules have been changed to:

- Demon Lords are larger than 20x20x20 feet and do not possess many human characteristics.

As long as your demon lord doesn't look like a larger version of a man or woman, you are good to go. The image on the left of the demons is a good example of where to start.

just passing this on from GA.

Didde
03-17-2009, 07:33 PM
I am afraid that I made a mistake in my title in dw thread and for any reason I can not edidt it now! it is important to DW IV-2D didde is the title?

heavyness
03-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I am afraid that I made a mistake in my title in dw thread and for any reason I can not edidt it now! it is important to DW IV-2D didde is the title?

titles aren't important. just a way to keep things clean and organized. besides, you will be uploading your art to the DWIV site when you are done. but it is important to keep the thread up-to-date with WIP pictures so we can see the progress of your work.

picture-imp
03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
The rules for the final illustration say that "the background can be anything." So, is it allowed to include other characters (e.g. side characters or enemies) as well?

Kirt
03-17-2009, 10:29 PM
The rules for the final illustration say that "the background can be anything." So, is it allowed to include other characters (e.g. side characters or enemies) as well?

Wouldn't that fall under the definition of "anything"?

jokenadrian
03-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Do we have to use both the logo and the color scheme within the project?
Can we use just one or the other?

As for the colors are we allowed to incoorperate other colors into the textures or are we restricted to the red black and grey colors???

FrozenSceptre
03-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Do we have to use both the logo and the color scheme within the project?
Can we use just one or the other?

As for the colors are we allowed to incoorperate other colors into the textures or are we restricted to the red black and grey colors???

Insignia and Colors:
Your character MUST possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia/logo. If you don't have the colors or the insignia located somewhere on your character, your entry will not make it into the top 50. Please represent your team properly. This is a team event so make your team proud!

nope you don't need both.

picture-imp
03-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Wouldn't that fall under the definition of "anything"?
It would. I was just unsure because someone wrote earlier in this thread that showing the victims wouldn't be allowed - and they also fall under the definition of anything, don't they?

Elsueno182
03-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Hi this is my first DW and I'm trying to figure out how to sign up.

Do I just post my 2d work on the forum or do I have to do something first?

Thank You,
Gilbert Gonzalez

JockeP
03-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I got some technical questions here.

1. First off, what shader in maya would be the "best" to use for this competition?
Which shader uses all of the maps we can use:
Color Map
Reflection Map
Specular Map
Specular Color Map
Normal Map
Bump Map
Opacity(transparency) Map
Glow map
Glossiness map

If iīd use a blinn f.ex. I would like a Eccentricity map but I guess that isnt allowed...

2. What shader uses a Glossiness map in maya?

3. Is it ok to use textures from maya (ramp etc.)
It says any shader you would like, but can you build a complex shader network that uses some of mayas built in textures?

STILL-MOTION
03-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi,
I am new to this contest and I intend to enter the DW-IV from Cgsociety. I am absolutely clear that I have to update my w.i.p. on a regular basis 'here' and that I need to submit the final files in Gameartisan. I would be glad if somebody could help me figure out some things below:
(1) Do I still need to submit my wip in gameartisan? If yes , then how?

(2) Gameartisan has their own wip thread going, so where is the link for the final submission? Is it coming up later?

I am not able to get any details regarding submission procedures in the given link http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/rules/en.php (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/rules/en.php).

:)

ersinerturk
03-18-2009, 09:00 PM

(2) Gameartisan has their own wip thread going, so where is the link for the final submission? Is it coming up later?

hi,
gameartisan is another team, but they're also the guys who had "dominance war" idea i guess. final submission link will be given on March 20th or later, till then you must post your wips here.

Gyorkland
03-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Since nobody answered my question I am bringing this out again, are the elements for the norms the same as last year? like summoning dark/ void fire/lava etc. uhhh? can we mix them now? for example a two sides sword one fire and the other Ice ???
and since the machines work again can they have guns or electric devices on their armors??

FrozenSceptre
03-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Since nobody answered my question I am bringing this out again, are the elements for the norms the same as last year? like summoning dark/ void fire/lava etc. uhhh? can we mix them now? for example a two sides sword one fire and the other Ice ???
and since the machines work again can they have guns or electric devices on their armors??

From FredH at the GameAtrisans forum- "the rules gives no hint of invokers or clerics being locked into one element. Do as you wish."

heavyness
03-19-2009, 03:16 AM
Hi,
I am new to this contest and I intend to enter the DW-IV from Cgsociety. I am absolutely clear that I have to update my w.i.p. on a regular basis 'here' and that I need to submit the final files in Gameartisan. I would be glad if somebody could help me figure out some things below:

I am not able to get any details regarding submission procedures in the given link http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/rules/en.php (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/rules/en.php).

1] no. you do not submit your WIP to GameArtisan

2] you don't need to worry about a final submission link yet. i don't even think it is posted yet.

Trinnity
03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi guys!

I have a daubt...I want to do a Demon Princess of Fire/lava with your slave,
a deformed creature half human half moster , it would be like the pet of Princess with a strap or chain around his neck..
I donīt know if it is possible or it seems a combination between a demon princess and abomination creature, not allowed.Maybe if I do a Demon Princess of Death it would be better

Do you think??

Iīm crazy for this :S

Many thanks!!

Cheers,

Rebeca

kblackwd
03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
I got a question, I want to make the mandatory emblem a shield but made out of ice. But I need the colors, Does the whole emblem need to be those colors or can I have an icy look with the red and dark grey painted onto it?

kblackwd
03-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Apparently you cant mix race or class, if I read it correctly.

Garmonbozia
03-19-2009, 07:20 PM
I got a question, I want to make the mandatory emblem a shield but made out of ice. But I need the colors, Does the whole emblem need to be those colors or can I have an icy look with the red and dark grey painted onto it?
You dont need the emblem AND the colors. Rules says we have to use the forum logo and/or the colors. An ice shield in the form of the cgsociety logo should be fine. And pretty damn cool i might add :)

conor
03-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi guys!

I have a daubt...I want to do a Demon Princess of Fire/lava with your slave,

a deformed creature half human half moster , it would be like the pet of Princess with a strap or chain around his neck..

I donīt know if it is possible or it seems a combination between a demon princess and abomination creature, not allowed.Maybe if I do a Demon Princess of Death it would be better

Do you think??

Iīm crazy for this :S

Many thanks!!

Cheers,

Rebeca

Dude are you kidding me, i am doing that, i posted it last night...

Trinnity
03-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Sorry Conor...I didnīt see your post anyway the concept about a demon dominatrix and slave isnīt new and your post is for 2D challenger, I will apply for the 3D and my idea will be different than the one you show in your sketch.

kblackwd
03-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Dude are you kidding me, i am doing that, i posted it last night...

Just make it better?

AG3D
03-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi everyone,

can I change the name of my thread?
and if yes how?

thanks

StudioMonkey
03-20-2009, 12:20 AM
I haven't tried this yet but I looked at doing this when I started my thread and it looks like it should work.

Go to your first post in the thread and in the bottom right corner of that post is an "edit post" button. Click on this and it should show 3 boxes.
1. reason for edit
2. title of post
3. post content

Try that and reply if it works ok.

AG3D
03-20-2009, 12:34 AM
i've tried but it only works when you enter my thread...the name of the thread didn't change in the forum pages

thanks for the help ...:(

StudioMonkey
03-20-2009, 12:53 AM
That's a bummer. :hmm:

Trybal
03-20-2009, 07:34 AM
As I recall, what happens is that after a while Heavyness will have a thread where you can post a link to your thread and what you'd like it to be renamed to. So, just get busy making things and don't worry about renaming what you already have.

Sellis
03-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Just a quick query, are we going to be getting a spy thread on these forums?

FrozZT
03-20-2009, 12:19 PM
I know i want one :)

MR
03-20-2009, 12:36 PM
sellis the spy thread is a fantastic idea. we could search in other forms for threateningly good artworks or concepts and then post a link in the spy-thread.. Yeahhh

we`re at war!;)

where is the FORUM LEADER!!
we need a spy-thread immediately

heavyness
03-20-2009, 02:50 PM
spy thread...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=744093

MR
03-20-2009, 02:59 PM
thank you
:beer:

lets spy:cool:

Sellis
03-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Cheers bud

conor
03-20-2009, 11:13 PM
This is a nice idea guys, good thinking. Still much to work on our paintings , don't let this distract you.

Dargon
03-20-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm wondering - would it be possible to split up the entries into 2 sub-forums - 2D and 3D?

The other forums seem to all be doing this
There's a lot of entries to be all on on page and it's hard to sort through them all
Just a thought.

Cheers :beer:

heavyness
03-21-2009, 01:28 AM
I'm wondering - would it be possible to split up the entries into 2 sub-forums - 2D and 3D?

The other forums seem to all be doing this
There's a lot of entries to be all on on page and it's hard to sort through them all
Just a thought.

Cheers :beer:

i can if we want. i would be affriad that would cut the traffic in half to most people's threads. but it's up to you guys...