PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War IV : General Discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

FrozZT
03-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Yea i think so too heavyness.. One solution would be to change the color of the titles, one for 2d and one for 3d, but that might be a bit too much work. If everyone would have their title written the same it would have been easier to search also. Anyway, im not that bothered about how it is right now, it works just fine for me. Keep up the good work everyone!

-Niklas

heavyness
03-21-2009, 06:28 PM
well, i don't see why 3D people can't comment/help out on 2D people's entry (and the other way around). we are all artists and although we might not specialized in 2D or 3D, we know what makes a good looking piece of art.

also, if i made a "Gallery" thread where everyone posts 1 picture of the newest WIP, that also would splinter the comments across different posts. and your image would be lost in a huge thread of pictures.

my best suggestion is to put an image in your very first post and keep that updated (when i say first post, i mean right at the top before any long descriptions of your character's "story" and what not). and/or keep your threads up-to-date; the more you post, the more your thread will be on page 1.

and everyone needs to make an effort to comment on other people's art.

FrozZT
03-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Yep i agree. Lets win this war!! 3d or 2d, does'nt matter..

StudioMonkey
03-21-2009, 11:06 PM
I agree, splitting the threads would be great - but maybe for next year's war. It's already done this year leave it the was it is. A good point made is that the more critique we can get only makes our images better.
Battle On!!!

conor
03-22-2009, 12:02 AM
and everyone needs to make an effort to comment on other people's art.

You are right on that one, i feel that if you are not well known in posts people won't even comment.

Kharn-ivor
03-22-2009, 12:18 AM
You are right on that one, i feel that if you are not well known in posts people won't even comment.

yeah I hear you there, but its hard to blame people for that, they leave posts to their friends, its just a shame all the great artists get comments and not all the people that need them. Then again Im not saying that we shouldnt show suport to the great artists.

k

heavyness
03-22-2009, 01:55 AM
i would also put the url of your DWIV entry in your signature. this is a kind of a meta thing where you post a good, helpful comment on someone's thread, they might click in your signature to see your thread and return the favor.

cowkiller
03-22-2009, 02:12 AM
hi im new to this DW thing...
i tryed to post my thread of DWIV but it hasnt shown yet...

NavigatorJones
03-22-2009, 09:34 AM
How does one put the url of your thread in your signature without it looking like, well, a url? XD I've seen some people's sigs that look like "my DWIV entry" and you click on it and it takes you to their thread.

ersinerturk
03-22-2009, 09:50 AM
NavigatorJones: on "edit signature" page first write the title (like "My DWIV") then you need to place a link on this text using link button http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/editor/createlink.gif

NavigatorJones
03-22-2009, 12:43 PM
NavigatorJones: on "edit signature" page first write the title (like "My DWIV") then you need to place a link on this text using link button http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/editor/createlink.gif

OHhh i see I shall try that :D

heavyness
03-22-2009, 04:15 PM
hi im new to this DW thing...
i tryed to post my thread of DWIV but it hasnt shown yet...

because your new, your posts have to be approved. shouldn't take to long.

Swizzle
03-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey, Heavyness, what about getting a CGTalk Summary thread kind of like the ones at Polycount and GA?

I'd start it, but it seems kind of a dick move to put my stuff right at the top of the thread,

heavyness
03-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey, Heavyness, what about getting a CGTalk Summary thread kind of like the ones at Polycount and GA?

I'd start it, but it seems kind of a dick move to put my stuff right at the top of the thread,

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=744832

FrozZT
03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Is this new gallery-thread just for showcasing your work or is it meant for people who have a hard time getting the crits they need? Becouse thats what i've been hearing people ask about.

I think a critique thread aimed for honest and direct feedback only is what is needed(from what i hear). If we make such a thread there should be no bogus post such as "cool stuff", if you have feeback to give, give it or dont comment. Sure by all means say "cool stuff" anyway, but make sure to leave something to think about also. I know we had one last year and from what i remember it worked out ok. Just my thoughts, great job so far heavyness!

I guess the gallery thread is just for showcase, but i hesitated myself to post there since i've been getting alot of attention already. :/ I dunno..

-Niklas

Kharn-ivor
03-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Mhh i think its more like a place you see other peoples work and deside quickly who you think need comments so you dont leave comments in the thread itself but follow the link to the artists own thread. Thats what i think anyways :p :)

Thx for all Heavyness

Swizzle
03-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Is this new gallery-thread just for showcasing your work or is it meant for people who have a hard time getting the crits they need? Becouse thats what i've been hearing people ask about.

I think a critique thread aimed for honest and direct feedback only is what is needed(from what i hear). If we make such a thread there should be no bogus post such as "cool stuff", if you have feeback to give, give it or dont comment. Sure by all means say "cool stuff" anyway, but make sure to leave something to think about also. I know we had one last year and from what i remember it worked out ok. Just my thoughts, great job so far heavyness!

I guess the gallery thread is just for showcase, but i hesitated myself to post there since i've been getting alot of attention already. :/ I dunno..

-NiklasTake a look at the ones at Polycount and GA. They're just basic info about your entry and a link to your thread along with the latest picture.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=61942
http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7736

It's handy if you want to find something you remember seeing, be you can't remember who posted it, if nothing else. I like it because it gives a nice overview of all the entries for that team.

Kharn-ivor
03-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey guys, a question for you all

Are we suposed to pose the character after weve made him a low poly etc ?
Or can/should we pose him first then make the lowpoly version around that?

K

Dargon
03-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Whatever way you want to work. At the end, you have to have a posed low poly character, and that's all that matters.

Kharn-ivor
03-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Ok Thanks Dargon :thumbsup: Good luck with your work, the other forums are looking at you ^^

K

kblackwd
03-23-2009, 02:51 AM
Are we allowed to use a nurbs eye or does it have to be part of the mesh of the body?

Dargon
03-23-2009, 03:24 AM
All parts will have to be polygons, and all parts will count to the poly limit.

They can be separate meshes though

JockeP
03-23-2009, 09:16 AM
The rules say that we can use any shader on this earth, but i was wondering what the rules say about building a shader network using different nodes to get some nice effects.

Like using mayas facing ratio or just a simple color to complement your colormap.

chiwoo
03-25-2009, 02:50 AM
This totally reminds me of Rifts the Pen and Paper RPG from Palladium. Such an awesome series. My friends and I played it all the time. I always played a Psi-Slinger and hunted Vampires in Mexico.

I am totally stoked!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts_(role-playing_game) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts_%28role-playing_game%29)

GregStrangis
03-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a question, say I decided to model 2 characters for the contest and pick which 1 I wanted to enter at the end, As long as I post progress on both of them is that allowed?? Thanks in advance guys! Keep on working hard!

stridiggio
03-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Hey CGS, another Question :blush: : war machines can fly?

DragonSFX
03-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Hey CGS, another Question :blush: : war machines can fly?

well, is an airplane a machine? is a helicopter a machine? I guess it would depend on what kind of war machine it was...

-Levi

chimchim5040
03-27-2009, 06:16 PM
I decided to make one myself (Max Bellum) and I thought my entry would be swamped with some serious competition. I think I've only seen a handful of WIPs on this site so far, which I guess is good and bad.... :surprised

I suppose the new Demon race has everyone's attention. Maybe people are tired of mechanical characters after the big Steampunk competition??

Any thoughts out there? I'm going to do my best to create a standout entry, but I'm still pretty green. :bowdown:

StefanoDubay
03-30-2009, 04:50 AM
hey all !!!
what happened on the comments? c'mon let's keep this forum alive and dynamic!!!

grandyu
03-30-2009, 09:47 PM
how long does it take to get a thread approved?
ive been waiting for a whiel i think

DragonSFX
03-30-2009, 09:52 PM
how long does it take to get a thread approved?
ive been waiting for a whiel i think

just about that long /\ /\ :-]

grandyu
03-30-2009, 09:58 PM
just about that long /\ /\ :-]
so very long i'm assuming

thanks

eafreak
04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Hmm, so I have started with the compitition and not even done with the basic mesh yet and already on 8000 tris, so I know I will be hitting the 10 000 tris before I get to start with details(or smoothing for that fact).

How are you guys handling the 10 000 tris limit?

and if u got any tips, it would be greatfull as I am sure I am not the only one with the challange to scale down on tris.

chimchim5040
04-01-2009, 05:17 PM
I can't speak from a lot of experience, since I'm fairly new to 3D....

My strategy so far is to create a rough approximation of my model, which I am still doing at this point. Once that is done, I will add detail where it is needed most. If I have any tris left, I plan to use them for objects other than the model itself.
It sounds obvious, but I also make a point to delete any faces that are no longer visible from the outside, which I guess could be called "interior face culling". I suppose "back face culling" is a good strategy too as long as it doesn't compromise the integrity of your model. I've probably shaved a few dozen here and there using these techniques.

I hope my meager advice helps! :hmm:

syrez-one
04-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Hmm, so I have started with the compitition and not even done with the basic mesh yet and already on 8000 tris, so I know I will be hitting the 10 000 tris before I get to start with details(or smoothing for that fact).

How are you guys handling the 10 000 tris limit?

and if u got any tips, it would be greatfull as I am sure I am not the only one with the challange to scale down on tris.

i guess, most people here work with zbrush, and bake their details from a high poly mesh, onto a low poly mesh with use of a normal map ..

but having 5k quads as base resolution isn't much either.. so you got to be really chintzy with every face there,...

eafreak
04-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Hmm, normal Map. it is the same is a bump map right?

will have to look into it. thx for tip

Hazzard65
04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Hello,

I attempted to make a post but it seems to have not appeared. I don't want to double post just incase it has to be approved by an admin first or something. Is this the case?

syrez-one
04-02-2009, 03:56 PM
bump mapping uses b/w information for determination of height.. texture pixels get oriented on the normals of the surface (up and down)

normal maps, use the normals of the detailed high poly and makes a texture of it with the normal axes getting linked to rgb colors.. so on your low poly mesh, pixels get oriented on the information of this normal map.. that makes the illusion of a high detailed surface model on a low poly one..

zbrush i.e. has a tool in it, where it renders all this normals into the texture..

yeah, just have a search on google for normal mapping, zbrush mudbox, for better explanation, for how its used, and tutorials etc. don't have any useful links atm sorry! wish u all the best with conquering your tasks! ;)

conor
04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Guys i have one quick question, with the modeling and concept sheet. Do we have to finish first the modeling and concept sheet , or can we show little updates of the final piece and concept at the same time. The reason am asking is becuase when one is painting , sometimes one can change his mind on some parts of the concept and if you already posted your concept sheet , it won't be acurate. So , is it up to you to post the final image and final concept and model sheet at the end? or is there a rule to post concept , model sheet and final image in order?thanks

MrRico
04-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Hello everybody,
I might have a silly question but well...:) here it goes. Do you think I made my thread properly? I see a difference between my thread and the rest in the forum. I feel I have a kind of low traffic and very few comments even when my post go to the top of the stack. May be is normal but since I saw this difference in the displaying of the thread the question just arised.
Thanks a lot.
Ricardo
my entry
DWIV-2D-MrRico-Sister Mary (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746170)

ROBOTTANK
04-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Where can I download the Dominance WAR banner/logo??

eafreak
04-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Where can I download the Dominance WAR banner/logo??

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=728088&page=1&pp=15

ROBOTTANK
04-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks eafreak, but I'm talking about the actual "Dominance War banner", not the CG-Society logo which you posted the link to...

this one here:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa215/hafdedplatoonleader/logo_dw4_small.jpg

Xidon
04-06-2009, 11:00 PM
MrRico -You have posted properly. And rest a sure you are not the only one with little replies on your thread, I myself am another with low posted replies. One reason I have thought of is that the biggest chunk of users on CGS are probably from the northern hemisphere (including USA, UK and Europe). I am from New Zealand and find my friends and I have little posts too. This in my opinion could be affected by the fact that when we post, the Northern hemisphere is asleep and by the time they wake up to check the threads, there have been many posts since ours, that our own are often pushed back in the threads. This is just one reason I have thought of, and is just my opinion. Good work with your design by the way cool idea and story. :thumbsup:

NavigatorJones
04-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Hey guys I have a problem! Can anyone tell me if there are any restrictions on what kind of 'scene' you do for your 2D main picture? As in, I know once in the past someone did a comic page for their final, and that was allowed, but what about fighting? My problem is that my abomination's fighting/killing style is such a fundemental part of his design that it seems wrong not to show it, however I don't know if thats allowed.

Cheers XD

TuBui
04-07-2009, 05:52 AM
The description say = "Norms are sentient beings of various races who have been in the galaxy for thousands of years. They all possess heartbeats and they all reside in a single natural dimension that is the Dominance War universe."

I'm thinking to do an human born angel. With a specific final illustration in mind = the angel calls for help from heaven, heaven vs hell battle.

Will that go against the description? Have anybody went through or seen similar situation? Please shine some lights for me.

Pumaboy
04-09-2009, 04:06 AM
Im having a real hard time Joining the competition i have remember me checked and when i press join .. it doesn't allow me it says make sure "remember me" is checked

ScudzAlmighty
04-09-2009, 04:41 AM
alot of people from different forums are having the same problem this year,
i don't know if the mods here can do it, but if you go to the "how to start your entry (http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224)" thread at GA and ask for your entry to be deleted, the log out and back in it seems to work. but again i don't know if the mods here can do it so you may need to sign up at GA as well

Xidon
04-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Hey all with this problem.

Pumaboy- I had the same problem of not being able to enter. Then i thought hey ill log into game artisans. :) Log into Game artisans or register yourself a new user. The remember me Check box is for your game artisans log in. Try doing that. Hopefully this works for you all and solves the problem.

Pumaboy
04-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah i have a log in at GA so i will try that thanks

Pumaboy
04-09-2009, 01:57 PM
yes that was the issue .. All i had to do was be signed up with GA in order to be entered in
thanks again

heavyness
04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Finalist Announced for the Mini Challenge...

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/mini1/en.php#cgs

MatthewNovak
04-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Quick question, can scouts have riders?

If I make a scout can I also make a robo that rides it/mounted on it?

dhrogus
04-10-2009, 01:05 AM
hi, i have a question about rendering. i know the tri limit is 10k, so can i use turbosmooth when rendering? thx

Trybal
04-10-2009, 01:18 AM
hi, i have a question about rendering. i know the tri limit is 10k, so can i use turbosmooth when rendering? thx

If you turn on the viewport stats to show triangles, you'll notice that when using turbosmooth it literally increases the number of faces you're using. So no.

nzrkiwi
04-10-2009, 06:59 AM
can i change forum to represent at this stage of the? competition i did not enter the mini challenge Generals? Iwhat to move to GA from here

eafreak
04-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Can anyone explain to me how to take a high poly model and change it into a low poly model using 3ds max, xsi or blender even? http://www.amc.ro/ has a good tutorial about it, but they talk about using topogun or maya live, I am however using 3ds max and started to learn using zbrush.

I know there is a optimize modifer in max, but it only seems to destroy my uvs.

TuBui
04-14-2009, 04:55 AM
eafreak- Max does a pretty shitty job with optimizing. One of the better ones are XSI, but it still have holes here and there. Wait til another 5 years, they will come out a better solution or,,, just optimize it traditionally if you want to get it done in time for the War.

jett12
04-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Sounds like you would just retopologize it in Zbrush, im sure they have some tutorials out there somewhere... its very simple, 20 mins to learn tops.

SebastianWunnicke
04-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi

Iīm not very experienced in lightning and rendering in maya. I wondered if anyone has some good links for lightning tutorials, especially for characters, or any tipps. Maybe we could share some good light setups too. I tried to get an effect like in this image but totally failed...

http://www.peterboehme.com/gameart.php?v=kaos

prabath
04-21-2009, 08:01 AM
I just finished my concept sheet and i'm wondering if this will make the grade...

My DW IV-
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=751709

Before going forward from here, I need to clarify a few things. The first thing is about weapons. Is the "one magical weapon per character" regulation costant throughout. I mean is it ok to have your character carry extra weapons? Mine being a warlord especially, can't seem to have enough weapons in there. The other thing is about the concept art itself. Is the final artwork supposed to be exactly adhering to the conept art we post or are we allowed to make slight changes/adjustments etc. here and there?

Hope someone could clear these up for me.

All the best to everyone competing.

Cheers!

sanat49
05-01-2009, 03:00 PM
hello everyone!
goodluck and more freetime for all !!
and some animation for fun )))
youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te7M6yfjSgo)

Trybal
05-01-2009, 06:05 PM
hello everyone!
goodluck and more freetime for all !!
and some animation for fun )))
youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te7M6yfjSgo)

Haha, cool animation. :D

sanat49
05-03-2009, 02:49 AM
Trybal -> tnx :arteest:

Dargon
05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Just to try to catch everyone:

http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/homepage/index.php?lang=english

+7 days extension to the comp!

NavigatorJones
05-16-2009, 02:09 PM
I put this in the FAQ thread too but I'll put it here as well...where do we get the DWIV logo?? I've seen a few people with it on their work, but I have looked and I can't find a single place to download it from. And in the rules and regs it says we need it plus our team logo...but I'm confused. Why tell us to put it there but not tell us where to get it??

JockeP
05-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Post 293 in this thread:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa215/hafdedplatoonleader/logo_dw4_small.jpg

Akiman
05-17-2009, 08:31 PM
is there any uploader like in cg challanges for finished concepts? or we just leave the thread like that? i seem to cant find any threads about how to finish the challange.

glynnsmith
05-17-2009, 09:53 PM
is there any uploader like in cg challanges for finished concepts? or we just leave the thread like that? i seem to cant find any threads about how to finish the challange.
Are you asking how to submit your final entry into the competition?

If so, you need to submit it via the GA.org DW4 page - http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/view_entries/index_cgsociety_both.html

Akiman
05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Are you asking how to submit your final entry into the competition?

If so, you need to submit it via the GA.org DW4 page - http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/view_entries/index_cgsociety_both.html

yes! thanks man. :beer:

Trybal
05-19-2009, 04:26 AM
I'm trying to edit mine but there's an error page when I try to enter. :(

DDS
05-19-2009, 04:27 AM
I'm trying to edit mine but there's an error page when I try to enter. :(

yup

and I need a nap :\

glynnsmith
05-19-2009, 04:29 AM
No worries. It happens to us all ;)

glynnsmith
05-19-2009, 04:30 AM
From now on, anyone with problems, please post in the FAQ THREAD (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5874340#post5874340) to keep it all in one place.

Trybal - Just received word from Fred. Please be persistent and keep trying to upload it. Last minute entries are bombarding the server and the system is struggling a little. It will go through, just keep trying :)

Trybal
05-19-2009, 04:31 AM
OK, thanks. I was running late in finishing and the error freaked me out. :)

nzrkiwi
05-19-2009, 05:10 AM
I have benn tryibg the in last 2 and half hour to upload my finals and i get a stupid server error

When i push the up load final button i keep getting this error there still 15 nimutes left?
enven when i try to upload single files

select * from compet_users_nvs, compet_users_details_nvs where compet_users_nvs.user_id=16703 and compet_users_nvs.compet_u_id=compet_users_details_nvs.compet_u_id and compet_users_nvs.compet_id='42' and compet_users_nvs.cat_id='' and compet_users_details_nvs.img_source!='' order by compet_users_details_nvs.compet_u_d_id asc
There was an error. Please contact the administrator.
=> .. Sorry

I have spent days and hours on this just to get htis crap:((( it heart breaking
me e-mail is nzrkiwi@yahoo.com my user name here and cgtalk is nzrkiwi:)

bobrok
05-19-2009, 05:20 AM
I just slept 11 hours after working on my DMIV all night and day yesterday. I was way behind, but I made it even if it got kinda sloppy. I'm just happy I even finished this time. Yay!

Looking over cgsocietys entries, there's soo much good stuff this year, way better than mine. We're bound to win something at least, for once. Good work everyone!:bowdown:

glynnsmith
05-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Notice from Fred, regarding DW submission errors:

This is a Dominance War IV Important Update.

Due to hundreds of users trying to submit their DW finals at the same time, the DW system is doing some spectacular and extraordinary crashes. To compensate, a 12 hour extension has been given to insure everyone gets their entries in some time tonight.

If you get a white page error saying sorry after a list of code - please try again and again until it works. This is for submitting images, titles, urls, and/or getting into your personal entry page.

If problem persists all night, please contact me at fredh@dominancewar.com and include the following info in your email:
Your user name:
Your entry title:
Your thread url:
Your technical issue and error message:

All the best to everyone entered!
~ Fred
GameArtisans.org Founder
DominanceWar.com Founder

SergioSantos
05-19-2009, 05:56 PM
...so...

is it finish?

I think the 12 hours of grace are over...

now the question is... how much time it will take to know the results?

doylle
05-20-2009, 06:01 AM
Hehe, yes, it's over now. :p

I wouldn't expect the results to soon. Looking at the previous dominance wars, there's allot of things that must be taken care of before the winners can be announced. Going the the massive pile of artwork, that alone is going to be one hell of a job.

DDS
05-20-2009, 06:29 AM
I think the easiest is focusing on 2 months from now, so you don't go craze. They will probably announce the shortlisted before that though.

walrus
05-22-2009, 02:31 PM
The final list of entrants has been posted!
http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/list_2009.html
Check in to make sure your entry got accepted okay. :thumbsup:

DDS
05-22-2009, 07:07 PM
OMG it's more than 1000!!! :argh:

PuiArt
05-22-2009, 07:28 PM
OMG it's more than 1000!!! :argh:

your gonna have so much trouble getting up there, DDS :p

StefanoDubay
06-04-2009, 08:31 PM
crossing fingers people!
next time i go with something hard surface integration... I'm finding eye popping works.... Well I hope to get in the top 50 at least!
cheers
S

DanielCortes
06-05-2009, 01:18 AM
It's fun to look back and think of things you could have done differently, get ready for the next round. they say it's an essential exercise to ensure future victories.
My prayers are with you bro, top 50 here we come, I was hoping for the same thing, we'll see if we pull it off, you did a great job Stef, see you around :D .

ROBOTTANK
06-05-2009, 08:23 AM
*Just curious*

Do people usually stay with the same team every year for the Dominance War event, or do most people switch to a different team?? it's obvious some switch, but the majority?

nzrkiwi
06-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey i don't think of winning, i think its fun to work with others in a journey together. Also to learn from the experience and to get your work out there. Your promoting yourself and having fun and becoming a better artist win or lose.

DanielCortes
06-05-2009, 01:10 PM
this was a first time for me, but from what I've seen, most people participate on the forum they've been the most active on that year or resent months, you make friensds and such.
Hope to see you around next year ROBOTTANK, dont jump ship...ha!

Gyorkland
06-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi, any news about when they are going to put the list of the top50? ot at least all the entries from the 2nd mini challenge for us to vote ?

DanielCortes
06-05-2009, 11:22 PM
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/mini2/en.php
this looks like the place they will be posting the finalist for the 2nd mini challenge. and here is were you can read about the whole judging process for the main comp. http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/judging/en.php
looks like it will take some time, I'm trying not to think about it, somewhat of an inpatient person myself :shrug: .

Gyorkland
06-08-2009, 06:35 PM
uhh... seems like we can vote since saturday, why nobody told us??

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests...sans_2d_2.html (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/view_entries_gameartisans_2d_2.html)

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests...sans_3d_2.html (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/view_entries_gameartisans_3d_2.html)

DanielCortes
06-09-2009, 02:04 AM
thanks bro!

Stinkfist
06-09-2009, 11:19 PM
What are they doing over at http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/homepage/index.php ? I would have expected somekind of newsbit by now regardig the main contest.

They put the list of entries up two weeks ago, then it was dead silence.

ROBOTTANK
06-09-2009, 11:36 PM
well, we can't do much about it other than wait patiently. There was over a thousand entries and two weeks is not a long time, and I'm sure they don't only sift through DW entries ten hours a day.. the 'dead silence' could mean that the DW team is hard at work and very busy evaluating entries :) Before we know it, DW 5 will be just around the corner.

Stinkfist
06-12-2009, 01:54 AM
I just wish there was some information, just to let us know what's going on.

Gyorkland
06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
check again dude theyīve just post the finalists
http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/homepage/index.php?lang=english

PuiArt
06-12-2009, 06:46 PM
woot! congratulation to everyone that made into the top 75 finalists! best of wishes to y'all and bring home the trophy will ya? ;)

yakonusuke
06-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Awesome!
Not sure how many made it. I could only figure out Robottank and Baronimpossible besides my little picture. Congrats guys!

7 days left!

PuiArt
06-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Awesome!
Not sure how many made it. I could only figure out Robottank and Baronimpossible besides my little picture. Congrats guys!

7 days left!

congrats on getting to top 75 dude =)
-----------------------------------------------
lets c , i can remember the follow entry names that are from cgsociety that got in top 75s:

2D:: 2buiart,BaronImpossible,Bartoldi,fluxen,ROBOTTANK,yakonusuke
3D:: masterkey, ihamid

i am not entirelly sure who our 3D entries are as i wasn't looking into the 3D side of the entries much, who did i forget on the 2D side?? sorry, hehe.

edit:: add in CgSociety members that made in the cuts, anyone else that i missed??

EmReu
06-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Is it just me who's stupid, or is there no easy way of checking out the finalists' entries? I'd love to peruse them, but the only clickable things in that page are links to people's forum profiles - not much help there. Any tips for how to browse the finalists' creations?

StefanoDubay
06-13-2009, 09:57 AM
BHUUU!!!
COngrats to the winners :D
cheers
S

prabath
06-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Woohoo!

Hey, its been a terrific time in the forums for me. Hats off to our boys who made it to the finals.All the best to everyone. Let's bag them trophies now shall we. Strength and Courage and all the very best to my fellow comrades who didn't make the cut too. Until next years'.

Cheers!

ihamid
06-13-2009, 01:54 PM
congrats to those who made to top 75! :beer:... oh and I made the cut too!!! :bounce:

MartinNielsen
06-13-2009, 02:25 PM
It's great to see all those CGS entries in the finals :) Like I expected, it looks like CGS was succesful in the 2d group.

PuiArt
06-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Is it just me who's stupid, or is there no easy way of checking out the finalists' entries? I'd love to peruse them, but the only clickable things in that page are links to people's forum profiles - not much help there. Any tips for how to browse the finalists' creations?

your right, i haven't been able to find a quick route to accessing to the images that those that made the cut, i am aware that from what FredH mention about on gameartisan's annoucement discussion thread:: http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9498. FredH talk about how lengthen and difficult it was for the process to of shortening from 1100+ down to 150( 75 each on 2d 3d) entries, so i am sure it took most of the time they were able to spend on this step they didn't have much time to fancy out the clickables.

EmReu
06-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Mmh, fair enough - quite a bit o' work, that, and cheers to it. Still wishin' they could've linked it together, though - how hard could it be? Way I did it now was; I found the name I wanted to look up in the finalist-pages - which don't mention what forum it's from, by what I could see - search that name up in that all-entries-name-list to figure out said forum, then dig up that forum's entries in the all-entries-page (deeply buried somewhere, I found it by my browsing history) and then find the name - to reduce the number of pages to search through, checking in just the #D I was interested in - and theeen, finally, get to the fellas thread. And then searching through that for the actual final result.

Yes, I could break that up into a more readable text, but shesh. Oh well, will be interesting to see the results - too bad I wound up not participating. Next year, I figure...

Nethermind
06-13-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm trying to find one entry on here that I'm sure was going to make it in the first round of cuts. I forgot to bookmark it and was wondering if anyone could be of help with the name etc. It was a demon prince or invoker type...had a small imp wrapped around his neck and a BEAUTIFUL cape with some opacity slots so it looked like strips down the back?

Really need to find it as I'm quite surprised it wasn't in the 75 finals.

ROBOTTANK
06-14-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm trying to find one entry on here that I'm sure was going to make it in the first round of cuts. I forgot to bookmark it and was wondering if anyone could be of help with the name etc. It was a demon prince or invoker type...had a small imp wrapped around his neck and a BEAUTIFUL cape with some opacity slots so it looked like strips down the back?

Really need to find it as I'm quite surprised it wasn't in the 75 finals.

..your telling me! I'm surprised I 'made' the cut, man, never did I expect that, being a noob to digital and all. But I'm sure there will be many disappointments or shocking results due to various tastes and genres, some of my favs didn't even make it, which was very surprising. Not sure the image you're talking about, there were many entries alike, good luck locating it.....

DanielCortes
06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey there, hats off to all those who made it, you do disserve it, great work! And if you didn’t make it (like me), I think the best thing to do is review your work and see what you can do differently the next time.
We all know wining or loosing is not the point, but I think it is a good opportunity to measure your work and see how far you can get. For example, I worked real hard, but at the last moment decided that adding the logo on to my character wouldn't look good, so I took the risk of just putting the logo on a corner of the piece. That could, or could not be a reason I didn’t pass, but looking back now I don’t think it was really worth the risk. Anyhow looking back with a positive outlook can make all the difference in the world for next time. Once again, congratulation to all! :beer: it was a great experience :D

DanielCortes
06-16-2009, 01:42 PM
For those who did not make it into this list, we hope you enjoyed the event and will be ready for next year's final grand chapter in the DW series.

Did anybody notice that...better get ready for the final round, so sad :cry: , maybe they'll come up with a new story line or something.

ROBOTTANK
06-17-2009, 04:36 PM
For those who did not make it into this list, we hope you enjoyed the event and will be ready for next year's final grand chapter in the DW series.

Did anybody notice that...better get ready for the final round, so sad :cry: , maybe they'll come up with a new story line or something.

I read that but didn't realize for some reason. This event has such a wide variety of genres and characters to portray I don't see why they would end it. From comical cartoon characters to abomination demons??; that's a pretty wide range. Dominance War creates a lot of hype and many people/companies support and sponsor it too. I hope they reconsider and keep this series going for a long time.

PuiArt
06-18-2009, 02:49 PM
the DW IV: mini 2 results are in guys, congrats to the winners ;)

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests...sans_2d_2.html (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/view_entries_gameartisans_2d_2.html)

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests...sans_3d_2.html (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/view_entries_gameartisans_3d_2.html)

BaronImpossible
06-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Well done to the Pet mini winners! Those were my favourites too.

Dargon
06-18-2009, 06:16 PM
the DW IV: mini 2 results are in guys, congrats to the winners ;)

Pretty sure that's the finalists, not the winners. The votes got tallied, and the finalists go on to the next round to get judged. I think both minis and the main are supposed to get announced winner-wise at the same time.

Still, congrats to everyone who made the list!

Oh and here's the links to the cgSociety finalists: (you posted the GameArtisan finalist page)

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/view_entries_cgsociety_2d_2.html

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/view_entries_cgsociety_3d_2.html

ROBOTTANK
06-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Did anyone work together on "clan" images? I couldn't find any, kinda sucks... :(

yakonusuke
06-19-2009, 09:07 AM
They cancelled this part : http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/clans/en.php
too bad...

ROBOTTANK
06-19-2009, 10:15 AM
damn..I didn't know, thanks for the info, that really sucks, was looking forward to clan images.

Gyorkland
06-22-2009, 03:39 PM
alright where are the "World wide results" that the countdown was promising for last friday?
what is the point of a countdown if you donīt have everything ready?

yakonusuke
06-22-2009, 09:54 PM
I think they already got in contact with the winners and waiting for their replys and comments to be in the top 20 or so. Or they wait for the top 3's interviewreplys.

BaronImpossible
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Results are apparently planned for Monday 29th

NavigatorJones
06-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Can't wait to find out who the top two winners are! GOod luck to all the finalists!

BaronImpossible
06-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Results are apparently planned for Monday 29th

Or not...........

AG3D
06-30-2009, 12:45 PM
It's like if they are not following their countdown since the begining...

Can someone tell me why push the limit date three times???.

so

Nice to work with you pal!

Gyorkland
06-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Why do they keep putting dates if they are not 100% sure?
itīs just making them look bad.

ROBOTTANK
06-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Why do they keep putting dates if they are not 100% sure?
itīs just making them look bad.

I agree, I guess they're just not good with deadlines. :/ However I am grateful for the extensions they give us when the competition is nearing the end. :)

(therefore I can't be disappointed)

BaronImpossible
07-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Huzzah!

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/finals/main1.html

MartinNielsen
07-01-2009, 04:12 PM
It's so good to see all those top10 entries from CGS. Great work everybody :)

Gyorkland
07-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Wow nice work people congratulations to everyone specially Bartoldi, FLuxen, BaronImpossible and Jian Guan who made it top 10.

DanielCortes
07-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Wow this has been an incredible competition, and its finally come to a close. Congratulations to all those great pieces that represented our team in the top 20. I hope you all get a lot of good feed back and reactions from all your work, all the best :beer: