PDA

View Full Version : Character Sets - input woes

steveblake
06-30-2003, 02:34 PM
I'm trying to create a Character Set from from the selected attributes of my built character.

But I get errors from the Pole Vectors and inputs from various other constrains...

for example

// Warning: Skipped yell_right_handle.poleVectorZ because it already had connections. //
// Warning: Skipped yell_right_handle.poleVectorY because it already had connections. //
// Warning: Skipped yell_right_handle.poleVectorX because it already had connections. //

This seems confusing - do I have to disconnect all my constraints before defining a Character Set??

Thanks in advance

galactor
06-30-2003, 03:11 PM
I think you should select yell_right_handle and break the connections on these atributes: poleVectorX poleVectorY poleVectorZ.

:: Galactor ::

steveblake
06-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Ya. But that kills my Pole Vector (in this case on the characters R arm) or any other constaraint I may have mixed in my rig...

:surprised

anthonymcgrath
06-30-2003, 03:56 PM
If It doesn't affect the way the character moves or is controlled I wouldn't worry too much but you shouldn't have to disconnect your constraints at all as far as I remember
How are you setting up your character set? can you give a run down of the way you do it?
I use constraints myself and haven't had this message. is there any screenshots you could do?

steveblake
06-30-2003, 05:13 PM
It's a problem because I'm aiming to use these Character Sets to produce some Trax clips, for importing and mixing in to other scenes..

But the process is very simple, I'm just selecting all the characters controls and creating a new Set. Seems that any attribute with an input is being passed over and throwing up the "Warning: Skipped..." Error. So IK Pole Vectors and other constraints are a problem.

I've now done few initial tests and it seems that attributes being 'skipped' have affected all but 1 of my characters, so it may be the way i'm selecting them. Creating a Character Set appears to be more precise about specific things like spaces Blendshape names in names, so I think I'll strip the whole problem down and do some more tests with a simple IK chain...

The main probelm is I didn't create the characters so things are named a bit awkwardly...

Ho Hum

magilla
07-01-2003, 06:26 AM
Is the object "yell_right_handle" an ik handle?

if it is you don't need it in your character set - Character sets are used to contain all of the objects that it would take to reproduce the animation on another rig - or the same rig in a different scene.

Therefore you need to be aware of what you have selected and what is 'keyable' in your channel box when you create the char set. If for some crazy reason your object with the pole vector is a needed control object then you should use the 'all keyable' option when you create the char set and use your channel control window to remove these 'polevector' attributes from the channel box.

At first I was confused by this - cause I like to add constraints to a char depending on what is going on in the scene - but it makes sense that if an object is being driven by another input then its own value is irrelevant to reproduce its behaviour.

--magilla:cool:

misterdi
07-01-2003, 07:21 AM
I think the situation is you have a locator and pole vector constraint of the "yell_right_handle" to it.

So in the character set you should not include this polevector, but add the translateX,Y,Z of the constraint (the locator). That also true for all other constraint.

When you create the clip in trax, the order of attribute in character set is very important, you will need exact same order of attribute in character set as you create the clip.

If you do wrong order, your walk cycle can transform into ballet or breakdance.

Usually what I do, open script editor, clear all, create your character set. Cut everything from the history pane, and paste it back to input pane. Clean up the MEL code to make it easier to read. Undo the character set creation, test the script (which will recreate the character set). If it is working, store the script into shelf.

So when you open another scene with the same model it is only a single click to recreate the character set. And it will be 100% match of the attribute order too.

Best regards,

steveblake
07-01-2003, 10:39 AM
I've actually been using the script editor to create selection script buttons, but this all makes a lot of sense - if an object is being driven it doen't need to be recorded in a clip...

Good stuff and very much appreciated! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.