PDA

View Full Version : Body Articulation, The Art of Moving Points.

HippyDrome
02-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Hi,

I have a site that might help people get started in the art side of rigging and is starting to take shape, not a lot of written detail yet. Mostly eye candy but I think it still
can help people learn. After I finish the Art side to the body (which is mostly what is up now) I plan to start defining why the body is articulated this way. It is just one method of many out there so it might not work for some. The style of my work is Off the Fence style and not ment to be a true repersentation of reality. This site is not software specific and will not have any rigging info, just the art side. I hope to improve the flow of the pages as I move along.

The main page:

http://www.hippydrome.com
http://www.hippydrome.com/PageUpdates.html

Some motion:
http://www.hippydrome.com/ArmsShldrRot.html

Cheers,

HD

DanHaffner
02-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks for taking the time to put such an awesome site together.

uiron
02-09-2009, 11:14 AM
i understand that the whole website is modeller-oriented, but still, could you give some information on what kind of software you used to rig the examples and what kind of technique you're using to keep volume and shape? bones? morphs? shoulder area looks really awesome in down-forward-up-back cycle.

Leffler
02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Great stuff! Really impressive deformations, look forward to the next update :D

Regards, Otto

edwardG
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
This is going to be a good resource, but would be even better if you included skinning theory and added the basic joints needed for good deformations. By using your 5 span theory, you could demonstrate the average weight percentages that are assigned to the different joints. Perhaps you are planning for that in the future, but if not then add it because it will really help to get Modelers and riggers to see eye to eye.

Another useful section that you could add would be lo-res modeling for games. Even though the systems are getting more and more sophisticated, it is still important to understand lo-res modeling because a modeler won't be adding as much unnecessary geometry.

HippyDrome
02-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi,

Yes, this can be done in any animation package that has a bone system and lets you attatch a morph target befor the bone rotates. But as they start to add up it helps to have code to help manage your
targets.

They are just morph targets going on/off to show how much I am sculpting and how much is moving by the bone itself.

One of the biggest thing that I will be writing (On my page soon) about is why things are broken up the way they are. With this type of set up I am trying to isolated the motion of complex areas (like the Neck/Shoulder/Arm, Hips/Legs/Torso) so when you animate three or more controls you get the correct looking shape. No sure if that is a good explanation?

You can see this in the arm that I articulated ( http://hippydrome.com/LArmUD.html ). While I am working on the arm motion I try to isolate the movement knowing that the shoulder is going to carry a lot of it too. That is why the arm Front/Back and Left/Right look odd at first, but when you add in the shoulder movement ( http://hippydrome.com/ArmsShldrRot.html ) they start to look and feel correct.

One of the things that I had to over come while articulating characters here at work, is to throw out the restriction that our real bones and moments have. I know the arm it's self cannot rotate up 90 degree's without the shoulder moving up with it, but I needed to think/retrain myself that it can. By restricting the motion to isolated areas really helps the different morph targets play nice together.

Here is another example. Take a look at the Torso bending over forward to 90 degrees ( http://hippydrome.com/TorsoFrntBkLftRt.html ).
This is similar to the arm going up a full 90 with out moving the shoulder. For this character I am splitting up the motion of the spine into four parts. The Hips, Torso, Chest and Upper Chest. They can look odd by themselves but when I animate this character bending forward I will be using all four of the spine controls to achieve a pose ( http://hippydrome.com/Skeleton.html ).

Cheers,
HD

musashidan
02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Ah hippydrome.You took my advice from another thread and posted your site link.What a terrific resource you're putting together here.Great stuff.As i mentioned on the other thread. The best i've seen(when it's completed)since the Jeff Unay siggraph paper from way back.:applause:

michaelroca
02-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks for sharing it, Awesome!!

Coyote12
02-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Awesome site. Are you going to go further into the creation of deformations and set up to see how good edge flow matches with good skinning and deformation?

luigi
02-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Impressive tanks alot fpr sharing.

breal true especific movements and showing the topology that mathc nicely the movement is great , thanks alot for sharing with the comunity and sharing with the comunity.

Really apreciated.

Illusion-shadow
02-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Great stuff, nice shoulder deformation. I think this is a good resource for beginner or people to give them a reference on the body articulation. Thanks for sharing.

HippyDrome
02-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi,

Yes, this is mostly going to be a reference site for HiRes Modeling and Articulating.

Are you going to go further into the creation of deformations and set up to see how good edge flow matches with good skinning and deformation?

Yes, but all the body stuff is just a rotation with a morph target fired befor or after the bone rotaion. So I do plane on talking about the different Fall Offs that you can use on the raw rotation ( what the bone moves). There are so many ways to do this but I switch between a coulple that seem to work for me and plan on showing some.
There are mane different approachs to the way that a bone Falls Off but this is just what seems to work for me. Might not work for everyone. I will try to explain why the lines on the mesh are the way they are. For this web site my character has a simple body mesh design. In production, I follow a few of these rules but I kill a edge where ever I can and do not worry about loops and where it dies. But there a rule for that too, which I also plan on showing. My production ways and my personal ways can very a lot but I stay to some basic loops and kill designs that are common in all my models. If I see some new loop or kill design that looks articulatable, I try it out and if it works better, I change and adapt that into my skill set. Produciton meshes can look really ugly some times but render fine in Renderman.

I hope to upload the rest of the Spine sections Front/Back and Left/Right up this weekend.

cheers,

HD

theflash
02-13-2009, 06:54 PM
One of the things that I had to over come while articulating characters here at work, is to throw out the restriction that our real bones and moments have. I know the arm it's self cannot rotate up 90 degree's without the shoulder moving up with it, but I needed to think/retrain myself that it can. By restricting the motion to isolated areas really helps the different morph targets play nice together.

HD

This is really great. And I really love your ideas for articulation. It makes great sense to me. Thanks for sharing it.

Leffler
02-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi again!

Looked at the "fall of in motion" for the shoulder and Im wondering; What is the reason for adding weights to the shoulder-joint(s) under the arm(armpit)? Since you correct it with blendshapes later.

// Otto

HippyDrome
02-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Hi Otto,

Looked at the "fall of in motion" for the shoulder and Im wondering; What is the reason for adding weights to the shoulder-joint(s) under the arm(armpit)? Since you correct it with blendshapes later.

// Otto

That is a good ?. I add this in the bone movement because the target would be a liner motion if I did'nt have the pt.s move on the bone arc. I look at it as the animator would, every thing is moving on an arc. By adding weights to the bone movement the less likey you can spot the liner change.

cheers,

HD

Leffler
02-15-2009, 08:42 PM
That is a good ?. I add this in the bone movement because the target would be a liner motion if I did'nt have the pt.s move on the bone arc. I look at it as the animator would, every thing is moving on an arc. By adding weights to the bone movement the less likey you can spot the liner change.

cheers,

HD

That makes alot of sense, thanks.

HippyDrome
02-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Hi

Update the Torso section.
http://www.hippydrome.com/TheTorso4Parts.html

and the look of one of the opening pages.
http://www.hippydrome.com/Sketches.html

I hope to get to the legs this weekend or so.

cheers,

HD

Illusion-shadow
02-20-2009, 02:07 PM
good stuff, keep it going!

Just few quick questions, is your clavicle bone = shoulder bone? Also, I see that you use a lot of corrective shape, is there a reason not using extra muscle bone? and is that how Pixar rig most of their organic characters? and dose that get you better result? Thanks!

uiron
02-20-2009, 02:12 PM
i presume this technique still gets most of what can be done with classic skinning techniques (including twist bones and stuff). the less shape tweaking needed to be done via correctives, the better the result.

HippyDrome
02-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi,

The shoulder motion is the whole shoulder action and rotates from the clavicle. But it is not set in stone. Some chars have the rotaion pt. in a different spot.

is there a reason not using extra muscle bone?
Not sure what this means.?

The arm is broken up into four parts on this char. The shoulder,arm,elbow and hand, each with its own blend shape for the forward/back and left/right motion. Some times for the Twist.

and dose that get you better result?
It gets the results that I need for the type of look that I am going for and is a very fast way for me to get there. It takes about a hard week to make this char body to come to life at this quality. The hands and face are the other two parts that take longer. This is a off the fence type character and is not trying to be a FX type human. This body is also ment to have cloth over it so you only need so much to get the illusion of bone/muscle movement under the cloth.

cheers

HD

Illusion-shadow
03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
any new update on the site?

HippyDrome
03-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi,

Not in the last two weeks but I am working on some stuff for this week.

cheers,

HD

HippyDrome
03-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi,

Added a small bit, I hope to add the rest of the leg and arm stuff in the next week. Once that is done I can start explaining the articulation methods much better and then I hope to get into some of the modeling parts started.

http://www.hippydrome.com/Legs.html

at the bottom is: http://www.hippydrome.com/LLeg.html

You can see a bunch more of this type of mesh in movement on May 29th. All of the chars
that I worked on were based off of this same mesh.

cheers,

HD

theflash
03-08-2009, 09:51 PM
I appreciate your efforts and sharing this with us. This is invaluable. Thanks :)

Visor66
03-08-2009, 10:49 PM
oh this is a really great ressource! Thanks a lot for shearing such valuable knowledge!

mberglund
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Yes, but all the body stuff is just a rotation with a morph target fired befor or after the bone rotaion.

I understand firing the morph after the bone rotates or gradually turning the morph on as the bone rotates, but what do you mean fire the morph before the bone rotation?

Thanks!

uiron
03-18-2009, 08:42 AM
this just simply means deformer order is tweak->blendShape->skinCluster

mberglund
03-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I have another question: The thing I hate sculpting blendshapes is its hard see what verts will influence the source mesh. I was messing with comet's PoseSpace deformer and its great but I wish I could use it without the poseReader. Meaning, I want to be able to sculpt the geometry of a blendshape as the joints are posed, but then just keep the changes I made to the mesh when scupting so that I can just add it as a regular blendShape.

My question is, does anyone know of script that will analyze the mesh of a pose, save that data, then sculpt the mesh, and output just the changes you made?

Edit:

I found a Maya plugin that does exactly what I'm looking for, it helps you sculpt the blendshape. http://www.b-ling.com/

HippyDrome
03-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Hello,

I hear ya and it is hard to do this type of work with out it. Most studios have this as part of there work
flow. Mr. C was going to write it but it has fallen of his radar now. I heard Blender could do a similar thing, but not sure if it is true.

cheers,

HD

.............................................................................................................
The thing I hate sculpting blendshapes is its hard see what verts will influence the source mesh. I was messing with comet's PoseSpace deformer and its great but I wish I could use it without the poseReader. Meaning, I want to be able to sculpt the geometry of a blendshape as the joints are posed, but then just keep the changes I made to the mesh when scupting so that I can just add it as a regular blendShape.
.................................................................................................................................

uiron
03-19-2009, 05:12 PM
i recently finished my own corrective blendshape solving workflow in our studio. we decided not to use any existing plugs, as we had some additional needs like automatically adding/solving opposite corrective shapes for mirrored meshes,solving corrective shapes for non-skincluster deformed meshes, using more complicated measuring systems to fire blends on/off, or sculpting corrective shapes when they're affected by other blends (like sculpting arm twist blend shape with slight shoulder up + arm up already blended in).

i used pure python for this (to make integration into already existing workflow easier), can't complain about performance, 40k resolution blendshape solving from sculpt to corrective takes about 3-4 seconds to calculate. sorry can't share any code tho, but if anybody is willing to write a plug of his own, the method of solving corrective shape from posed corrective shape is quite simple.

let's say, skinned model with blendshape in it is called charSkin. you bend the arm, copy this and sculpt as you want, call that L_elbowBendSculpted. you connect a fresh blend geometry into charSkin, call that L_elbowFixed, and turn it up to 100%.

now what a script does, is simply guessing. it moves a vertex in L_elbowFixed into random direction, then looks what happens to charSkin mesh and compares to L_elbowBendSculpted. it takes quite some thinking and testing to optimize this into decent performance, but eliminating biggest bottlenecks - reading charSking mesh (at this point skinCluster might be evaluated, if inputs are changed), and setting geometry points (faster all at once that one by one) - it's very quick without a single line of C.

DanHaffner
03-19-2009, 06:52 PM
This site you have put together is simply amazing.

I am about to go into my ending classes where I get my assets for my demo reel together and put it all together, I am a few months out, but we had the finals department come into my class the other day and talked with all us and told us what to do to prepare for the the final classes.

I am the only one in my class going for rigging, and to prepare for going into the final classes the teachers told me to go to your site and study it, lol. That's how awesome of a job our doing man. Keep up the awesome work, and thank you a million times over for sharing such awesome knowledge.

MolemanSD7
03-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I agree with everything said to this point. The site is really awesome. I too would like it if you did go into more detail and theory on corrective shapes, etc. Keep up the good work.

acamporota
03-28-2009, 05:35 PM
hi
first of all amazing work myfriend... i love the shoulder setup...
i have only one question..
can you explain how to set up the clavicle rotation
i try to do in max but i don't have any good result

HippyDrome
05-26-2009, 02:04 AM
Hi,

I have updated some more pages.

cheers,

HD

DanHaffner
05-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Woohoo! I get to be the first to thank you for keeping us up to date and finding time in your busy schedule to update the site.

Keithtron
05-26-2009, 03:54 AM
This is really awesome stuff! I'll be especially looking forward to the Face Articulation section.
:-)

Leffler
05-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Nice stuff as always !

Heres my version of the elbow bending, looks kiiiind of simular to your but not as clean of course, so maybe at least Im on my way, or what do you think?

Link: http://www.ottoleffler.com/monkeyBiceps.mov
(Im also using blendshapes in this one)

// Otto

HippyDrome
05-26-2009, 02:51 PM
"Heres my version of the elbow bending, looks kiiiind of simular to your but not as clean of course, so maybe at least Im on my way, or what do you think? "
// Otto

Hey Otto,

Not a bad start. My stuff has errors in it too. What I try to do is balance them out so you don
't notice them when multiple controls are being animated.

On your elbowFB try to hold your bicep line hooking into you forearm longer. Also I am using mutliple blend shapes to do mine. One at 45, 80, and 130. This over lapping action helps sell the look. Check out the volume change from the side. I use a full mirror in my office for body and facial articulation and having a base skelleton really helped my volume control while sculpting targets.

cheers,

HD

mberglund
09-09-2009, 04:02 PM
HippyDrome, I have a question. So i've studying your website and trying to use your method. my question is about blend shapes sculpting. I'm trying to get the torso (spine1) bend forward to look correctly. What i've tried but didn't look good, was I would bend the torso forward 90degress, scultp out a new blendshape so that at 90degress the belly looks good. Then with a locator point constrained to spine2 and geometry constrained to a plane, i get all forward/backward movenent translated to a value between 1 and -1. Using quick SetDrivenKeys i setup the relationship that when the torso is at 90degrees the blendshape is all the way on. this looks good, but the problem is as its going from 0 to 90 the blendshape slowly kicks in and it doesn't look that good. I've tried adjusting the SDK curve and it works but doesn't look that good either. Is my workflow bad or is there a better way to approach the blendshapes?

Thanks!

HippyDrome
09-09-2009, 05:05 PM
HippyDrome, I have a question. So i've studying your website and trying to use your method. my question is about blend shapes sculpting. I'm trying to get the torso (spine1) bend forward to look correctly. What i've tried but didn't look good, was I would bend the torso forward 90degress, scultp out a new blendshape so that at 90degress the belly looks good. Then with a locator point constrained to spine2 and geometry constrained to a plane, i get all forward/backward movenent translated to a value between 1 and -1. Using quick SetDrivenKeys i setup the relationship that when the torso is at 90degrees the blendshape is all the way on. this looks good, but the problem is as its going from 0 to 90 the blendshape slowly kicks in and it doesn't look that good. I've tried adjusting the SDK curve and it works but doesn't look that good either. Is my workflow bad or is there a better way to approach the blendshapes?

Thanks!

Hi,

I am just using a rotation with a blend shape. I use a lot of. if a=90, b=90 fire in blend "c". This only works if you can sclulped the blend shape before the rotation. Which the software that i am using lets you do on the fly.

I work with the rotaion wts. for the torso then the chest. the rotation for each might work well but in combo they don't, so I work out the ballance of the errors between the two so they play as nice as they can before I start any blend shape design. Then I do the same for the blend shapes. I always work in combos of three, six or nine at the same time. So for the torso I would work out the rotations for the torso, chest and upperchest, making sure that the raw rotation all work nice together before making a blend shape. Same for the hips. I would start with the legs, hip and toso(the base) raw rotations before blending shapes.
One thing is for sure that this method can drive you crazy..

cheers,

HD

Nothingness
10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
This is such a great piece of reference to start nosing in.
After checking out the rough of the site, and wondering about deformations, i read all posts in here.
So now i know you do the deformations with blend shapes, and i would love to find out more about how to actually apply them.

But do you plan to do some explanation on this topic or do you considder it more technical?
It would be great to have a discussion somewhere to what techniques are available and what are it's advantages or drawbacks.

I'm not a rigger, but i try to stay in tough with all aspects of 3d just for the love of it. And what i would love to achieve, is to be able to make a modest good rig in a fast time-span - for something like say a 3d challenge.

Cheers and thanks for the knowledge-contribution to the CGsociety!

eek
10-10-2009, 03:40 PM
I'd personally say one of the most crucial things you have to get right is bone placement. I working on R&D atm and getting joints off just by a tiny amount can cause lots of grief. I think ill build some tools to accurately estimate joint placement from mesh data.

Boucha
10-11-2009, 02:26 AM
This is a brilliant. Great reference material for proper deformation of the body. I would like to thank HippyDrome for sharing such wonderful reference library, tips and technique...:beer:

mberglund
10-25-2009, 02:22 AM
HippyDrome,

So I've been messing with your method for sometime now. I've done and re-done the spine more times then i can count. recently I've moved onto the clavicle movement just to see how different it would be. here is a link to my blog and a direct link to the clavicle videos i made to show off what work I've done. The left side has the corrective blendshapes, and the right side is plain bones and skin. I did this all today, so its fast and sloppy, but has potential i think. Any suggestions would be great!

I will be posting the spine videos soon, because those are the ones that are giving me the most trouble.

http://faithofthefallen.wordpress.com/ninja-rig-shoulder-deformation-test-wip/

http://www.humyo.com/F/8640127-1763886945

http://www.humyo.com/F/8640127-1763887079

http://www.humyo.com/F/8640127-1763887175

http://www.humyo.com/F/8640127-1763887255

http://www.humyo.com/F/8640127-1763887315

ps: Using Maya, if there are any workflow specifics that help.

DanHaffner
10-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Having an issue watching your videos, some load and skip parts, others skip right to the end and when I try and go back to the beginning it just shows the ad?

Nothingness
10-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Hmm, i think the service of humyo.com really sucks.
Maybe you could enjoy the higher qualities of youtube?

mberglund
10-25-2009, 12:14 PM
you might be right, i'll get them on youtube and update the links. Thanks.

Edit: It does the same thing with youtube, my playblasts must messed up. I will re-playblast them and see if I can get it working. until then you can still download them through humyo, and play them locally, that seems to work fine for me.

MarkInTx
02-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Hippydrome,

First, thanks for an incredible site. I'm new to all of this, and am self-taught, so getting information like this is just pure gold.

I feel like I am Indiana Jones who just stumbled onto the Lost Ark's location... (But it is still buried... so close...)

Using your mesh screenshots as a guideline, I attempted to model a female mesh, and I have some questions about the polygons that make up the chest/breast area. There seem to be a lot of polys there, and I am not sure about the flow... Especially the set of parallel lines that run across the breastbone. It doesn't seem right to me... would you reduce these or change the layout for better deformations? (ie, when the arm goes up, the breast need to squash and stretch... right?)

http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/SiloWIP/ArticulatedMesh/Wires.png

PS: A screenshot of the area right under the armpit would be helpful. The way the lines run together on the front view, it is hard to make out what goes where...

HippyDrome
02-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Hi,

Thanks,

Yes they will squash and stretch. Nice start to your mesh.

If I were working on a female then I would have a direction change on the breasts. Some where on the top center of each side. Two give it a more chance to round out as they move.

cheers,

HD

MarkInTx
02-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Nice start to your mesh.

hehehe... thanks. It snowed 22 inches over the weekend and is supposed to drop another 16 inches on us in the next 24 hours... What else can I do? At this rate, I might have it finished before I can get out of the house again!

If I were working on a female then I would have a direction change on the breasts. Some where on the top center of each side. To give it a more chance to round out as they move.

I'll play around with it. I used to have an edge loop going around the outer edge, and then extrude straight in, which gave it a very conical effect (though this was a different mesh in general, obviously) -- do you think that basic idea for the breast is OK? Or should I be more precise?

http://digitalartistguild.com/Tests/SiloWIP/EdgeLoopBreastC.png

OK... I have a question about your underlying bones. I've never seen bones like you show in your pictures... Are those just a mesh/model used for illustrative purposes? Or did you actually model a full clavicle, shoulder, and bicep mesh and put it under your articulated mesh? can you use those for deformation? (I confess I don't know much about Maya, but I've never seen realistic bones used in rigging before...)

Also, from reading your site, it sounds like you have a very simple bone setup: Clavicle, Upper Arm, ForeArm, and Hand... and that's it. The rest of the deformation is handled by A) a better designed mesh and B) shape Keys to fix distortion problems. Is that over-simplified, or is that what you are doing there?

(And again, thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of this... Yours is one of the coolest websites on 3D I have found!)

musashidan
02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
@ Hippydrome. Nice to see this thread get bumped. Speaking of which. Do you think you'll ever get around to finishing off your excellent articulation website? I always pop in now and then.......... fingers crossed..........;):D

HippyDrome
02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
hey,

I would like to get back to updating my site, just coming up with the time to do so is the hard part.

I use bones as just a reff to help me keep with in the lines, so to say. I use the same mesh for the whole site and is very clost to the one i use for work. Carl on Up had the same style of mesh. I also used it on Muntz. Muntz's hand had the same topology as on my web site.

" B) shape Keys to fix distortion problems. Is that over-simplified, or is that what you are doing there?"

Yep that'z all it is. I just have the advantage to use software that allows for easy sculpting before the deformer fires and using what we call "MultValves" that are basicly set driven keys. So if you get all your foundation controllers working well together then you don't have a nightmare fixing them when is big combo's together.

cheers,

HD

musashidan
02-10-2010, 08:24 PM
hey,

I would like to get back to updating my site, just coming up with the time to do so is the hard part.

Ah what kind of an excuse is that? It's not as if you lads at Pixar are busy! :p

Great news that you do plan on keeping your site going. There's nothing else around on the subject as concise and helpful.

cheers mate. :beer:

MarkInTx
02-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Yep that'z all it is. I just have the advantage to use software that allows for easy sculpting before the deformer fires and using what we call "MultValves" that are basicly set driven keys. So if you get all your foundation controllers working well together then you don't have a nightmare fixing them when is big combo's together.

Huh... that's interesting... I have been spending days learning how to create complicated rigs where one bone was constrained by hidden bones... poles aimed by nulls... reverse IKs to move the scapula... all sorts of Rube Goldberg type stuff...

And here you use a simple four bone set up and shape keys? Criminently! This is quite a revelation... I'll have to play with that.

BTW, Blender 2.5, in theory, should be able to add sculpting anywhere in the process... really interesting stuff. Thanks!

Carl on Up had the same style of mesh. I also used it on Muntz.

Good to know. Speaking of, that damn montage in Up made me cry like a baby... I hadn't teared up at an Animated film since Lion King. (Well, unless you count Beowulf... but those were tears of a different sort...)

Thanks again! You have given me much to play around with!

Frumsylgu
02-12-2010, 11:53 PM
I generally hate to post my own work on someone else's thread, but hopefully it is acceptable in this case and in line with the spirit of the thread.

I just finished my own shoulder setup, and thought I would share. I didn't copy anything exactly (probably would have if I'd found this site sooner :) but I certainly was glad to have it as a reference when sculpting the shoulder articulation shapes.

http://direenworks.com/jdblog/2010/02/12/shoulder-test/

My personal thanks goes out to HippyDrome!

-James

MarkInTx
02-13-2010, 02:22 AM
EDIT:

removed previous pics and questions.

theflash
02-13-2010, 08:16 AM
I generally hate to post my own work on someone else's thread, but hopefully it is acceptable in this case and in line with the spirit of the thread.

I just finished my own shoulder setup, and thought I would share. I didn't copy anything exactly (probably would have if I'd found this site sooner :) but I certainly was glad to have it as a reference when sculpting the shoulder articulation shapes.
http://direenworks.com/jdblog/2010/02/12/shoulder-test/

My personal thanks goes out to HippyDrome!

-James

Really nice animation and the deformation on shoulder looks very nice too. Really liked the subtle gestures.

MarkInTx
02-16-2010, 08:35 PM
WIP pics.

Simple Rig based on HippyDrome's website (I think)
http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/Blender/Hippy/ShoulderShapeKeysSkeleton.png
ShapeKeys applied to fix distortion in extreme up position. The shapekey isn't quite right. I was working without a reference. Really showing some promise though. I do like this method a lot!
http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/Blender/Hippy/ShoulderShapeKeys.png
BTW, all of this was done in Blender. I am able to use the internal sculpt tool to create the shapekeys, which for me is really helpful. I have not taken the step of building an IPO driver for the rig yet. That is next. But I can keyframe my shapekey, and have it applied anywhere in the animation, so in playing around with things, I can correct the distortion anywhere in my animation sequence.

It will be better when it is simply built in to the rig... but for now, it's showing promise.

Thanks HippyDrome!

Angroc
02-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Just gotta say that this looks awesome. Thanks for putting up such an excellent sice. Articulation has always been a part of rigging I feel the 'net is still sor tof lacking. To much focus on the rig itself.

Bookmarked for sure! Can't wait 'til when you finish the facial articulation part of the site.

:bounce:

chaoticreality
06-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Hippydrome,

I wanted to say a big thank you for sharing this info and updating it. If you need any assistance in further enhancing this resource than I would like to volunteer my time.

VM
07-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Nice site, nice model, nice presentation, but yeah, as already pointed out, it doesn't contain actual information about rigging or skinning. It would be great to see some of that too. Also, the numerous watermarks... I'd take them out, they just look nasty and... what are you really protecting, it's just a grey-shaded/wireframe model...

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2010, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.