PDA

View Full Version : what is best way to have one object pick up another??

Rabid pitbull
01-13-2002, 05:59 PM
I am working on a project that is exposing my weak animation skills....:( I have a robot arm that needs to move and pick up a barrel, and then move it and set it down. I have tried using channel follower, but it seems to move the barrel out of position when channel follower comes into play. I am about to do it manually, but it seems that there must be a better way than keyframing all the barrels movements.

Could you please give me some advice on this seemingly simple problem?
thanks alot!

Chewey
01-13-2002, 08:47 PM
Use a dynamic parenting plugin (search Flay.com) or you can use two models of the barrel. One that is your regular barrel and another that is parented and positioned in the robot's hand. You key the visibility of the two barrels so that the one on the robot hand is not visible until the time you perform your pick up move at which point you'll key the visibility of the regular barrel to non visible.

Rabid pitbull
01-13-2002, 09:00 PM
That is a very sneaky way to do it Thanks alot Chewey!! Great tip i will check for the plug in too. but I am on a Mac, so it may be only available to intel users.

Is that visibility trick a common way to do this sort of thing? I read that there is a polk plugin to turn on and off parenting, seems very tempting. Between polk and sasquatch I am certain to spend $$$ at worley labs great tools!

Chewey
01-13-2002, 09:56 PM
It's an old technique. Works great if you get it set up right.

The Worley plugin works fine. I found a free one using Flay but I'd use my Intel version pretty much exclusively these days and don't know about what's available for the mac.

I'd give the two model trick a shot. It's pretty easy to set up once you learn how to set the visibility envelopes.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.