PDA

View Full Version : QWERTY interaction schematic parenting

Spin99
02-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Hi there,

I've been learning XSI a while and quite comfortable with a QWERTY interaction model.
I keep adding application shortcuts to it and creating my custom mapping.
So far so good, except..

I got to the schematic view recently. I believe with the XSI interaction model you can Alt click to parent a node to another one. With QWERTY the point is defeated, Alt is for navigation. Just wanted to ask if there's maybe another shortcut that'll do it?

First time my custom mapping has come to a real stumbling block.

vauric
02-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Im not sure if there s another option for that one. But I know ALT in XSI mode is used to connect edges in "add edge" mode too.

And in QWERTY mode, that option doesnt work, as you said ALT is used for navigation.

Im a QWERTY user too, and wish Softimage would get it to replicate exactly the default XSI mode (meaning all shortcuts options work, just different keys), I dont think its too much to ask.

Lets hope.

ThE_JacO
02-08-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't use QWERTY, although I suffer it since a large number of people I support at work do, but for when ALT goes missing (like for edgeloops etc), there is another combo that works. Ctrl alt or something like that. I'd try to piano play around with that a bit and see if you find there already is an in-built replacement. It's probably easiest first finding it for the viewport functionalities, and then see if it's ported to other views too.

luceric
02-08-2009, 02:30 AM
It's the Maya key map, so the P key is used to parent.

In the Schematic view, or any other view, select the child or children, and then select the parent.

Then press the "P" key to parent them all together.

Shift+P unparents.

vauric
02-08-2009, 10:09 AM
@Luceric - Yer, thats right. Being a Maya user at work, I should have mentionned it. sorry.

Still havnt found an alternative to the ALT command to connect edges (in "add edge mode"). "D" doesnt do it.

I've been playing around with combinations, with no luck.

I know XSI was designed to use its keys very efficiently, I just wish we could get all the clever shortcuts in the Maya qwerty keymap.

Cheers.

Spin99
02-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Yes P Shift+P works thank you Mayan people :)
The parent button also works on schematic view which was my workaround.

I use QWERTY to keep the options open as to making it easier to jump on to Maya as well.
Whichever case it's a very comfortable key combo imho

vauric I haven't tried connecting edges since I still like to model most stuff in Silo,
but have you tried Ctrl + Alt instead of just Alt?
It usually works for other stuff.

vauric
02-08-2009, 03:03 PM
@Spin99 - Yer, Ctrl Alt doesnt work, tried that. I think it does work for context sensitive menus, (wherever Alt is the default).

Cheers

bmcpherson
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
We tried to be very thorough in QWERTY mode but unfortunately it looks like the add edge functionality fell through the cracks.

In most tools Alt gets remapped to D. (since Alt was used in XSI for setting the pivot and this was mapped to the D key in Maya) We found this to be the best way to handle conflicts since most of the tools in XSI pre-date QWERTY mode. (but luckily XSI does not make very extensive use of the Alt key) If you go into the QWERTY keyboard mapping for the transform or select tools you can see (or change) the D key mapping.

About the only workaround I can suggest is to make a hotkey that toggles on/off the Alt navigation camera pref. (so you can quickly turn it off temporarily in the cases where you need to use Alt for something else)

Also, don't forget to send any issues you find to support@softimage.com as this is the best way to make sure it will be considered for an upcoming release.

Thanks.
--
Brent

vauric
02-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi Brent,

Thanks for your reply. I'll play around with your suggestions.

Im sure its something quite "simple" to implement in future versions. And hope it will be addressed.

I might have sent it to support. not sure. Always feels awkward to just report a keyboard shortcut as a flaw. ;-). Feels like im nitpicking.

Anyway, glad its known. cheers.

Spin99
02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Brent,

Nice to see XSI support and even the team are still accessible after the brand change :)
Hopefully you XSI people will look into the one shortcut that slipped through.

I only have one feature request that comes from trying out pmg:messiah,
it's simply that it would be nice to have a center marking when using field guides on the XSI viewport.
I think it really helps when looking at the shot composition.

Started a thread here >> LINK (http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=36835) << and it's one of the few things that somehow
makes XSI a little less user friendly to me.

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.