PDA

View Full Version : Press Release: pmG Unveils Flashy Headline Grabber

fwtep
02-06-2009, 02:55 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

pmG Unveils Flashy Headline Grabber
Minor Tweak Brings Major Hyperbole, New Compliments, Enhanced Media Coverage

Los Angeles, CA -- February 4, 2009 -- pmG Worldwide, LLC. a leader in the world of computer-generated character animation and rendering, today announced the immediate availability of a flashy new feature name designed for maximum publicity: Dynamic Pan-Polygonal Reactive Illumination. Although still in the development stage this new feature-- part of an entire suite of new tools with attention-grabbing qualities-- will be seen far and wide as a milestone in artificial publicity hype.

While the new feature has no immediate application for computer animation, and indeed is nothing more than a clever name, users around the world are lining up to express their excitement. "This is exactly what I've been waiting for since my Dad got me the first version of the software," says Max Carver, a hobbyist from Maplethorn Wisconsin. His sentiments are echoed by Brian Combes a digital artist at Aisle-M: "I'm not sure what the hobbyists will use this for, but for us these cutting edge tools are not only necessary, they're important."

Although just a name (and acronym), DPPRI has already revolutionized certain aspects of the already recently-revolutionized computer graphics industry. "The importance of this technology can not be overstated," says Ethan Edwards, pmG's Senior Vice-President of Forum Posts. "And this is an industry where revolutions are extremely rare, sometimes only occurring once or twice a month." Yet as the beta team agrees, this is the most important revolution in weeks, and they can not wait to find out what it acutally does. "I was skeptical at first, says beta team member Lou Gordon, "but now I'm firmly convinced and I'm totally stoked. This is exciting stuff. What are girls like?"

Mr. Edwards promises that this feature will far outshine all other features announced within the past few weeks or so. "I've been in this industry for many years, but this is a true first-- no feature has ever had this name," he says. "We've got a winner here," concurs Buck Smithers, Assistant to the VP of Icon Development. "We're already starting to see the story picked up on the forums and mailing lists, so we're confident that this is exactly the kind of thing people will drone on cluelessly about and demand in their own software packages, where it will remain completely unused."

The new feature's name is available immediately, however pricing and a release date for the actual software is being held under tight wraps. "Let's not start in about release dates and stuff like that. Let's just enjoy the moment and spread the word far and wide," says Mr. Edwards.

Founded in 2000, pmG Worldwide is a recognized leader in researching, developing, and delivering innovative techniques and technologies in character animation, effects, and high-quality photorealistic rendering, for computer graphics professionals. http://www.projectmessiah.com Also coming soon for messiah is this (http://www.usefulslug.com/development/PointAnimationv2.mov).

Cheers,
Fred

Per-Anders
02-06-2009, 03:40 AM
Very exciting, but does anyone know if it supports XDUGEF?

Ikaria
02-06-2009, 04:15 AM
Just made my evening, Fred :)
Don't be surprised if it gets plagiarized. LOL

Tama
02-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Looks really "Boss" to me.

Vintage Tepper indeed. Although you could have at least provided some type of live
video feed to kick it up a notch. I hear they are all the rage these days.

Doug816
02-06-2009, 06:16 AM

Do you have any jokes that made it out of 1997?

Sil3
02-06-2009, 06:54 AM
This is without a doubt one of the most clever Posts that ever graced CGTALK :bowdown:

Thanks for the laugh Fred :applause:

Layer01
02-06-2009, 07:18 AM
brilliant :applause:

made my morning :D

ThE_JacO
02-06-2009, 07:36 AM
So close to actuality... Genius!
I wish we had a CGChoice awards gallery just for posts, to preserve things like this forever.

trthing
02-06-2009, 08:00 AM
It is all good and fun until you guys announce the new pricing and subscription scheme...

I need to see a streaming video before I buy into this... :twisted:

Ulven
02-06-2009, 08:55 AM
It's amazing (http://www.usefulslug.com/development/PointAnimationv2.mov) what technology can do these days!
We're going to use it for everything. This will give us a real edge over the competition. It seems everything just looks better with Dynamic Pan-Polygonal Reactive Illumination!

oddforce
02-06-2009, 09:13 AM
front. page.

SLiTHER
02-06-2009, 09:19 AM
WOW Fred, this is great news, how can i buy it right now? Does it come with a T-Shirt as well? :applause:

colkai
02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm sure if it is any good, Autodesk are already on the phone.

biliousfrog
02-06-2009, 10:13 AM
haha...is it a coincidence that you release this the same time as another company releases something equally fluffy and non-committal?

DMack
02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Very good!

catizone
02-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm jazzed. Fred RARELY makes an announcement of this magnitude. And I've always known Fred to be a man of his word.

Yes, yes, yes! As someone has just asked, " Can we get it now?"

I can only guess that it will also be available through newer means as well. Hope everyone has the new HypoStatic Converter Box. You'll need the code Paula will send as well.

(Or maybe Fred has already posted the code in his release.)

I had to check my calender for a sec. Great news that it was released earlier than the expected date of 4/1/09.

Best,
Rick

INFINITE
02-06-2009, 10:50 AM
wow! PMG really is quite dated...:wavey:

theotheo
02-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Brilliant, that made my day :)

-theo

catizone
02-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I better post this before someone else does.

In retrospect, I have to admit to being very disappointed. Here I thought PMG was back to addressing animation tools for all of us.

Now, I realize it's just another lighting/rendering thingy. Who cares? I can render fine with their current amazing GI solution. So what if its revolutionary!

I am just so disappointed now.............

Hopefully Fred will let us in anything else that might be coming.

Best,
Rick

Julez4001
02-06-2009, 11:41 AM
It's amazing (http://www.usefulslug.com/development/PointAnimationv2.mov) what technology can do these days!
We're going to use it for everything. This will give us a real edge over the competition. It seems everything just looks better with Dynamic Pan-Polygonal Reactive Illumination!

Hahahahahahahh You guys are laughing and commenting on how sarcasatic about PMG being funny and they actually have a new tool they are demostrating..you just have to look for it.

Catizone
In retrospect, I have to admit to being very disappointed. Here I thought PMG was back to addressing animation tools for all of us.

Sigh. I'll help

Click on "Amazing" in Ulven post. That ain't for rendering and lighting

Love the sculpt/model tools guys.... I just want to know ...can the changes be per frame or baked to a morph ..... so you can fix knee caps or fingers

If we are getting innovative tools like this and it works the first time-- take your time.

Still need updated manuals though

catizone
02-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Julian,

Thanks.

You do realize that BOTH my posts were with tongue firmly planted in my cheek (using Pinch), right?

Best,
Rick

cheebamonkey
02-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm sure if it is any good, Autodesk are already on the phone.

they have good taste and know a deal when they see one.

jorust
02-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Priceless :)

So... what ARE girls like? :bounce:

StOuen
02-06-2009, 03:24 PM

OMG. Now that really does deserve a big build up.

Parsec3d
02-06-2009, 04:11 PM
WOW Fred, this is great news, how can i buy it right now? Does it come with a T-Shirt as well? :applause:

Yes T-shirts you know that is all we are here for...

rendermaniac
02-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Is there a Mac version?

catizone
02-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Mac version of what? ............these aren't the droids you want.....

DMack
02-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Never mind all that Fred, do I get a "Personalized Membership Card" if I join? ;)

catizone
02-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I heard that those of us who are older will receive the secret decoder ring!

(And probably the only ones who know what that means.)

Best,
Rick

XminusOne
02-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I heard that those of us who are older will receive the secret decoder ring!

(And probably the only ones who know what that means.)

Best,
Rick

If it doesn't glow in the dark though, i'm going to be ticked.

nuclearfessel
02-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes T-shirts you know that is all we are here for...

Screw the T-shirts.

I want a Hoodie. AND MEMBERSHIP CARD GAWDDANGNABIT!

catizone
02-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Yes, it will be that cool plastic that you put under a light for about an hour.

It also has secret cards with images of Fred and the gang, which are not apparent at first, but you stare at the card, and then look up at the sky, and blink and you see them (funny as that sounds, that actually existed in the 50's with Captain Video I believe...I experienced it.).

Best,
Rick

XminusOne
02-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Ok, so it's confirmed, we get a T-shirt, a nifty membership card that has a negative image on it so if you stare at it for 30 minutes and close your eyes you can see an image of Fred, and a glow-in-the-dark compass ring.....the only thing that's missing now, snacks.

catizone
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Snacks would obviously be a plug-in, and can be purchased as an extra module at a very small cost.

Although, I'm sure some might want them included in a full-package pricing.

Best,
Rick

Ulven
02-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Any statement on whether or not snacks would be included in the future upgrade is strictly confidential at this time.

catizone
02-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Ulven,

Just got this box art, apparently leaked from a print house, which should settle the debate....

Best,
Rick

Dennik
02-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Just give me a free T-Shirt already.

Ulven
02-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Now that alpha testing of the acronym DPPRI is underway, we can all agree that it's the best thing since gradient backdrops and viewcubes.

Tobiah13
02-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Is this on every 3d forum??

fwtep
02-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Is this on every 3d forum??I only posted it here. I bear no responsibility for the rest of the internet. In fact, sometimes I think it has a mind of its own. But then I think hey, if it really had a mind of its own it would stop me from revealing that it w

boomji
02-07-2009, 06:03 AM

:scream:.

b

ThE_JacO
02-07-2009, 09:29 AM
What I'm really interested in though: Will you offer me a solution where I debug and report problems with your software for a reasonable yearly subscription? I wouldn't want the charges for betatesting what really might be an alpha to be excessive, other vendors have very competitive offers when asking for money of beta testers.

trthing
02-07-2009, 11:27 PM
What I'm really interested in though: Will you offer me a solution where I debug and report problems with your software for a reasonable yearly subscription? I wouldn't want the charges for betatesting what really might be an alpha to be excessive, other vendors have very competitive offers when asking for money of beta testers.

Concur: there should be a PDE (Personal Debugging Edition) for each of the development stages charged according to the inverse of the expected number of bugs. If one wants to have more fun debugging more and writing more complex reports back to the developers, one should pay more and in advance.

This is a tried and tested business model...

gdevore
02-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Wow!.. Great Job Vegard and company.. this is truely innovative in that it lets you animate in a very seamless way.. fantastic.. Others apps are working on something similar.. but this is terrific!
I can see all types of ways to use this :)

Thanks you guys!
Gary

Boone
02-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Well goodness me, being Messiah's most harsh critic I have to say that PMG has changed the industry with a single gesture. Such was the excitement that I could not help but drop my guts upon reading that landmark announcement.:D

Sbowling
02-10-2009, 05:38 AM
While this is funny, it reminds me of the pot calling the kettle black... or one outdated, mostly dead product poking fun at another outdated mostly dead product... Both of which are still paying catch-up to the rest of the industry while claiming to be leaders in the industry. The irony is delicious.

Is anyone still using this product other than Taron?

SLiTHER
02-10-2009, 07:22 AM
in fact yeah it's still being used widely, but i guess not by a proffesional like you :applause: and the modern kettles still thankful to have it around, because it's driving their "innovation" :beer:

catizone
02-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Every day is a brand new day. Make the most of it!

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2009, 10:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.