PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July Firework test

HowardM
06-29-2003, 11:43 PM
QT Sorensen 3 test (http://www.3dink.com/4thtest.mov)

:)

pblacklock
06-30-2003, 01:20 AM
that is very sharp stuff there. would it be possible to get the scene file for us.

Wouldn't mind playing aorund with that to create sparklers for a lettering effect for a logo and title effect.

thanks,

Triple G
06-30-2003, 04:14 AM
Wow...very convincing effect there, Howard! :thumbsup: I'm going to guess that you did something along the lines of child emitters which were spawned from the parents...?

MrWyatt
06-30-2003, 09:11 AM
yeah scenefile would be cool, would like to ripp it appart and eventually learn something by reading the settings. maybe we could all contribute a similar effect and someone could put it all together back in one file so we would make a comunity firework ore something like that.

sorry just got carried away.

:rolleyes:

pblacklock
06-30-2003, 02:20 PM
this is my quick scene but i can't seem to create the sparks and explosion in the sphere. maybe i should use points instead. any ideas?

the link for the scene

http://www3.sympatico.ca/paul.blacklock/test/fireworks.lws

here the quicktime movie

http://www3.sympatico.ca/paul.blacklock/test/fireworks.mov

HowardM
06-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks!

Yes, that scene has a main emitter spawning 4 children...2 are the main sparks and glow, then 2 are trails and glitter.

Here (http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/37858.html?) is the original post that includes a demo scene file for you guys to play with...

aurora
06-30-2003, 11:23 PM
Very cool Howard. I like your HDMfinal.avi even better. Did you ever write your tut on your fireworks?

HowardM
07-01-2003, 04:05 AM
Thanks!
No, sorry I havent gotten to about 5 tutorials I would like to write on PFX and MD...gonna wait for 8 to see if theyd be obsolete! :) fingers crossed!
One day though, I swear, soon I will make some tuts and update my website!

I like my Sig too, hopefully it wont get too annoying!

Joviex
07-01-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by HowardM
I havent gotten to about 5 tutorials I would like to write on PFX and MD...gonna wait for 8 to see if theyd be obsolete! :)

Isn't that a long time from now? Siggraph is just a preview, I thought the offical date was sometime in december?

Mike Pauza
07-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Nice Fireworks. :)

aurora
07-01-2003, 03:28 PM
Waiting for LW8. Hey I like that one. Mind if I use it too? I have 7 tuts that I have been planning on writting up for about, oh FOREVER. But I have yet to finish any of them up. I always find something else to steal my time.

HowardM
07-02-2003, 12:05 AM
Thanks everyone!

Ya, tutorials are a pain, i now understand why people charge for them.:)
ahem...Im actually thinking of creating a PFX/MD tutorial CDrom...movies or interactive Flash...think anyone would actually buy that? :curious:

Joviex
07-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Thanks everyone!

Ya, tutorials are a pain, i now understand why people charge for them.:)
ahem...Im actually thinking of creating a PFX/MD tutorial CDrom...movies or interactive Flash...think anyone would actually buy that? :curious:

If your tutorials covered how to get PFX to work and react interactively with MD I would buy it.

:eek:

HowardM
07-02-2003, 07:04 AM
Do you mean something like this Quicktime Sorensen 3 PFX/MD test? (http://www.3dink.com/mdpfx.mov)

Joviex
07-02-2003, 05:31 PM
Do you mean something like this Quicktime Sorensen 3 PFX/MD test? (http://www.3dink.com/mdpfx.mov)

Yes and no. Why aren't the particles at the end effecting the MD surface?

Remi
07-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by amorano
If your tutorials covered how to get PFX to work and react interactively with MD I would buy it.

:eek:

I think he just did that....asking why the particles at the end didn't effect would probably be involved in the tutorial. Just a thought:shrug:

HowardM
07-02-2003, 06:15 PM
well, lets see, Im not sure if a particle, being a dot can have any real thickness to affect MD....BUT I could of just FXlinked more balls to the particles and it would be fine.
Ill test later when I get home, but I dont think you can actually have a particle alone work with MD...and why would you want to anyway?

hmmm, wonder if FXlinking single point polys works?

..so give me a realworld example of PFX/MD that you need....and Ill see if it can be done.

Joviex
07-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Remi
I think he just did that....asking why the particles at the end didn't effect would probably be involved in the tutorial. Just a thought:shrug:

Actually, that was my sarcastic question. I have used pfx and MD for years now, and PFX doesn't work with MD. Only when you replace the particles with instanced geometry, which is not what I want to do.

Say you have some water ala Hypervoxels which you want to effect the new clients downy towel in a commercial spot.

It is easy enuf to do with other means, say morph's on the towel object etc, or replacing the particles with dots as Howard did, render a motion off, then replace the particles with the HV settings, but PFX themselves can not effect the surface.

HM: As to the thickness question, why not? The particle size is there, and yes it does only effect visualization, even though that size parameter is available to the internals of PFX.

Basically this comes down to the fact that LW does not open its architecture to coders.

So, give me a video of PFX particles effecting something with a MD surface without having to replace the geometry.

Like you said earlier, maybe wait for LW 8.

Joviex
07-02-2003, 07:05 PM

hmmm, wonder if FXlinking single point polys works?

..so give me a realworld example of PFX/MD that you need....and Ill see if it can be done.

I don't think that would work as you might want it to. The points of the single polys would have to hit exactly the points in the MD surfaced object. This is the one major failing of MD that I have major beef with. All other things, panel itself, speed, etc... I can get over. But having a physics simulation that doesn't take into account point-poly or point-edge collisions is just dumb.

The example I gave above might sound contrived (downy towel) but it would help if I could elminate steps. Granted, probablly sounds more like a nitpick, but it goes to the heart of what I mentioned in the last paragraph, that of the collision scheme used. If they had point-edge and point-poly collisions, PFX would work since all PFX particles are treated as points already.

Geta-Ve
07-02-2003, 08:27 PM
ok, i know this isnt directly on topic, but since your talking about particles anyways, i was wondering how in the world can you make particles follow a path?.. like lets say i want a bunch of particles to start at point a, and swirl and swirl to get to point b.
how would i do that?

thanks, and cool stuff!!

btw im still using lw7.0 :p

EvilE
07-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Maybe use a Tube with inverted normals as collision object ?

EE

HowardM
07-02-2003, 08:38 PM
ahh ok amorano....i understand.
that would be cool if particle size actually did work with MD...are we sure theres not a way to get it working?
oh well, fxlinking objects is an easy workaround, but the collision size of each linked ball will not match the HV...remember though, 3D/Animation is all about faking it anyway...
who said that?! :)

Geta-ve: Search! for path wind and youll learn what you need.

Geta-Ve
07-02-2003, 08:49 PM
actually howard, i have tried using the wind+path, but.. it doesnt want to work...

ok here is what i have done.. (i have no clue what im doing just to tell you...lol)

ok first i went to modeler and made a spline..er line and saved that and loaded it into layout.. then in layout i made an emitter and a wind thingy.. i set the option on the wind to path... and to be honest.....thats where i am.... well apart from testing parenting the damn things together.. and trying different options.. in all honesty, i know its probably something simple.....but i cant find it..do i need a spline path? or what kind of path should i use? any special things i should check off?

thanks in advance for the help..

HowardM
07-02-2003, 09:35 PM
What? is my SIG chopped liver?
SEARCH! there are a TON of posts here and on Newteks forum that explain exactly how to make wind path work.
I just cant think of it right this second and dont have time to search.

Geta-Ve
07-02-2003, 10:37 PM
bah.... my bad..... i thought you were just telling me to look around in LW.... sorry :P

Joviex
07-03-2003, 06:32 AM
ahh ok amorano....i understand.
that would be cool if particle size actually did work with MD...are we sure theres not a way to get it working?
oh well, fxlinking objects is an easy workaround, but the collision size of each linked ball will not match the HV...remember though, 3D/Animation is all about faking it anyway...
who said that?! :)

Yeah that's the problem.

Sorry if I sounded like a hard ass, just re-read my posts. Just fustrates me it has been that way since day one and no one has really cared to fix and/or update it.

Hopefully some new stuff comes out soon :)

wizlon
07-03-2003, 08:48 AM
Re pathwind try this-

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=71796

Geta-Ve
07-04-2003, 12:34 AM
thanks, also i figured out how to make the particles folow a path... (didnt read that thread yet) what i did was, make a wind object, set it to path, then i moved it around while keyframing its position and the particles followed the wind where ever it went.. i am actually rendering something right now..... you may laugh BUT.. it is taking over 24 hours so far... lol

500 frames.. umm 2 emitters, 1 wind, and the particles arnt sprite.. but the other things.. blobby things.. forget what they are called.. lol anyhoo, i expect it will be done in about 6 hours... probably not worth it, but i got lots of free time... :p

Geta-Ve
07-04-2003, 12:35 AM
also, i just checked that post out, the file doesnt work for me..

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.