PDA

View Full Version : Music Video: Soilwork

jervill
06-29-2003, 05:26 PM
http://student.sofe.nu/da02maje/LTT/Images/cgtalk.jpg

Hi!
Just finished the video "Light The Torch", for Swedish metal band Soilwork.
We are four guys studying CG graphics in the south of Sweden. It took about 3-4 months to finish. It was made as a non commercial school project.

Please visit our homepage for info, pics and stuff.

C&C are more than welcome!

Enjoy!

Homepage:
http://student.sofe.nu/da02maje/LTT

Direct link to the video:
High: http://student.sofe.nu/da02maje/LTT/Video/LTT_DivX_Big.avi (64mb)
Low: http://student.sofe.nu/da02maje/LTT/Video/LTT_DivX_Low.avi (15mb)
(right-click save target as)

IronSRS
06-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi,
nice Animation and Short Movie!
The Movements are chosen very well to the music!
Swedish Rock ROXX :cool:

colt
06-29-2003, 06:27 PM
Hey man, that is some awesome stuff. It's looking really pro. Great light, animation and editing. Especially your characters and the created atmosphere impressed me.
Just the camera moved around to hectic and aimless in some scenes - something you see often in cg, people tend to fly with their cameras madly around just because it's so easy to do. And I somehow didn't get the story behind the characters (if there is on) - like why does that mad scientist/kid/thing slice up those small guys and what does he need them for.

Anyway, this is a top notch vid, really great. :applause: :applause:

RogerM3D
06-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Very nicely done. In regard to hectic cammera movement the very start was bad, but the rest seemed good.
:)
nothing else to complain about good story, modelling, texturing
now granted I might be biased in a good way due to the music .
:thumbsup: :drool:

Gkaine
06-29-2003, 07:35 PM
i listen to soilwork all the time:buttrock:
nice work

edit: in responce to colt. i beleive your questions would be answered if you listned to the lyrics :P remember its not a story its a music video

gmask
06-29-2003, 08:48 PM
That's pretty cool.. I pretty much liek everythign about> the design, mood, music, characters, animation, editting and story.

All top notch!
I was wondering BTW if you had ever seen the Korn Deuce DVD. it kind of reminds me of it. Y'know nad they have the korn doll which is made of burlap sort of like the little guys in the short except without the can head. I'm just curious.. this has definately alot of orginality.

digitalshaman
06-29-2003, 09:29 PM
That is GREAT!!

i really like the mood it gives, great work. i do not like the music, very un original i'm afraid.

Matt-Clark
06-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Loved it :)

ninjacore
06-29-2003, 10:04 PM
OMG!!!

superb. "Light the torch" is one of my fav Soilwork songs. its great to see something visual to go along with the song.

all good!!!:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

RockinAkin
06-29-2003, 10:27 PM
A very kickass video for a kickass song.

:buttrock:

-DivideByZero-

Tim Deneau
06-29-2003, 10:28 PM
I loved seeing that little can head run :p the animation was great, although a little weak when the scissor hand guy was thrashing around.

Cool camera work, too. Nice job.

iBlue
06-29-2003, 11:02 PM
that was fantastic, i loved it!!!!!

:buttrock:

FBMachine
06-29-2003, 11:27 PM
Nice! The little guy running around was great, and the fall at the end was quite a cool shot. Great song by one of my favorite bands too. :) Did Soilwork let you guys know what they thought of it?
Dan

r2d3
06-29-2003, 11:27 PM
wonderfull and very inspiring
very nicely donne
the music fits the animation really well :p
i can't give you the cg-choice award but i'll buy u guys a
:beer:

JIII
06-29-2003, 11:31 PM
Nice beatuiful lighting and all that. The modeling also didnt suck at all great job.

Dirk_P_Ho
06-29-2003, 11:40 PM
yes, very nice, I get to see soilwork here in vancouver in a couple weeks, WHOO!

mage111
06-30-2003, 12:11 AM
wow great animation, i really like the video its great

but i almost got motion sick at the start rofl :D

Wolf S
06-30-2003, 01:11 AM
:surprised :eek: :buttrock:
this rox

Tikisan
06-30-2003, 01:28 AM
awesome...love the cyborg bunny, great animation for it....i liked the camera movement for the most part, cept in the lab a started to get a lil too dizzy...great job :thumbsup:

Nikodemus
06-30-2003, 02:25 AM
nice work !! great characters.. i thought the camera work did credit to the scenes and music... also i really liked the time and camera changes and how they related to the part of music at the time... specially when the fat machine creatue was chasing the little can head down the hall.. was a great "back and forth" just like it was echoing what was happening in the music

great work ! :cool:

hello..i just watched it again.. i forgot to comment on some more things i liked.. i really like the way the camera shook with the drums..(on the fat rabbit part in the hall) and also the "lab look around" during the instrument part.. and also the characters in different poses flashing really fast.. i thought that was cool.... and timed with the music really well ! :)

and i love the little guy falling down the pipe

mixed
06-30-2003, 03:04 AM
not even gonna touch the song... but the animation was sweet. well worth the time it took id say :)

ShadowM8
06-30-2003, 03:50 AM
Not exactly my style of music but the animation is pretty sweet!
I liked the theme for it and specially the ending good job!

pgp_protector
06-30-2003, 04:29 AM
I agree with shado, Don't care for the music :( But the Gfx & Editing were great. Might watch it again (But this time without sound) :)

Soulstorm
06-30-2003, 04:48 AM
the little robots remind me of that pic from boring3d.com "welcome to the land of poorly made robots", somehow :p

jussing
06-30-2003, 06:01 AM
Wow! Very cool.

If it reminds me of anything I've seen before, it'd be The City of Lost Children with a touch of A Nightmare Before Christmas... same "fairy tale with a dark twist"-atmosphere...

Supercool.

Cheers,
- Jonas

Kiel
06-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Hi!
I'm one of the teammembers (Kjell).

Man...Thanks for all the great feedback people!

I'll try to answer some of your questions:

gmask / Korn Deuce DVD? No, haven't seen it.
I dont know about the others, but I dont think so...

FBMachine / They liked it :) They were kept up to date
as we went along. We did it directly for them,
as our "client".

jussing (and others) / Yeah, those are certainly sources of
inspiration, conciously or not :)

And about the camera, yes. I would agree that's one area we probably could have planned better :)

Thanks again!

Ste-One
06-30-2003, 07:53 AM
Oh, yeah!
I like it!:buttrock:

Krisc
06-30-2003, 08:29 AM
those little guys are soooooo cute, I want one as a pet!

I loved the video, it was great!

Sceme
06-30-2003, 08:44 AM
haha, before this i didn't even knew there is this kind of band, and i like this music!!!!!:scream:

awesome video:thumbsup:
nice character design

deathbard
06-30-2003, 10:09 AM
Yeah Soilwork owns. I'll be sure to check this out when I get home!

grihan
06-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Love it! hehe..I always like creatures in bottles...actually i'm making a cover for a thrash metal band with heads in bottles :)

and I like Soilwork too...i was in his concert with In Flames....the vocalist is awesome!!!

Agent.Orange
06-30-2003, 11:02 AM
wow :eek: !
that rocked so much, i immediately have to download the highres one ... *rightclick save as...*

very pro work i'd say! :thumbsup:
(didn't even knew the band before, but i think they're rather good too :D )

PureFire
06-30-2003, 12:50 PM
thats such a kewl videoclip...excellent work guys :D

ADiSH
06-30-2003, 01:23 PM
amazing :buttrock:

really good, loved the ending :thumbsup:

ElysiumGX
06-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Wow. Very awesome! I never knew about that band. I'll check 'em out.

There really should be many more music videos of this quality promoting rock bands. The camera work was amazing, and the video really connected with the music. I loved it. Many of my non-heavy metal friends loved it also. It really brought the song to life. Great story. Those little guys are so cool. Rock on!!!

zarkos
06-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Is there any mirror site? My transfer rate is very slow.

lildragon
06-30-2003, 02:00 PM
Definitely not my style of music, but I can definitely appreciate great CG when I see it, loved the atmosphere, style, pacing and animation and great characters to boot. I've also plugged you on www.3dfestival.com.

Very well done!

-lild

Flesser
06-30-2003, 02:12 PM
Whoa.
As a member of the team (Simon), I would like to thank you all for the replies and views.
And a big shout to cgtalk.com and Lildragon for the plug! Heart warming - pure joy!

And regarding mirrorsite - no there is none at the moment, sorry...

This calls for a beer!

schmu_20mol
06-30-2003, 02:23 PM
hey this is some top notch stuff....especially if you like such music :buttrock: ....just one thing bothered me minimally - i think the teeth of the 'scientist' could be more unsymmetrical....beside that as said before great stuff :twisted:

spooky3d
06-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Excellent Work love the dark mood and camera effects. Fits very well with the music.

fmahalem
06-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Veeeery nice :applause:

The Can-head characters are so freaky/funny and It's nice how you did it with such a simple character.

I love his google eyes :surprised

keep rocking dude =)

Fitharn
06-30-2003, 03:36 PM
AWESOME! :eek:

One little point that bothers me: I can't find anything that bothers me :P

I absolutely love the videoedditing, the materials, the lightning, the animation and the modelling. Oh and the song matches the video very well.

May I presume this is plugged? :)

Xform
06-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Go Sweden Go Sweden!

Just kiddin!

Really great work! Everything was good, except one part, where the mad scientist cuts up the little doll...I mean he is doing it like forever, its a pretty little doll and it splashes blood, or whatever it is, for very long! Otherwise I think its very good done!

Love the ending! :applause:

Wi_2
06-30-2003, 05:11 PM
awesome dude
really great sync with the music and very nice 3d2 :eek:
just awesome
:drool: :drool:

Mindmatter
06-30-2003, 05:48 PM
For some reason I find myself watching the video over and over again.

You seem to have spent alot of time on synchronizing the cutting with the music. Besides the fast cutting to match the drums early on in the video, the part where the escaped creature falls into the hole is just perfect together with that part of the song.

I like the fact that in the chorus you cut between the small creatures during the part with "soft" vocals, and the scientist during the "hard".

The way it is animated is really good aswell. Especially the way how the scientist jiggles about when he moves and the way the killer bunny moves.

There are only two things I don't really like. The style of the blood doesn't really seem to fit the rest of the video and the outlines of the objects in the containers look a bit out of place in some scenes aswell.

But beside those two things I must say I love it!
Very freaky concept and I think I will keep coming back to this one. :buttrock:

wayfaerer
06-30-2003, 06:21 PM
Wow, this is really great!! The beginning is a bit hasty for me, too, but the rest is simply amazing.
Must be cool to make a video for soilwork! They are one of my favourite bands, so I'm also a bit jelous of it.... :)

Kwago
06-30-2003, 06:38 PM
you guys could make a lot of money doing shit like this.... very, very impressive editing and synching.

jmdajr
06-30-2003, 06:40 PM
wow...

a video for soilwork!

that's really cool. maybe you can do one for in flames next!

haha

swedish metal rules.

Vladbad
06-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Like it a lot, nothing sucks at all.

Harry_SOFE
06-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Hello classmates!
I'm very proud of what you've done. Nice to see it has traveled away from the stinkin' Eastern Pire where it was made. I agree with our "Vladbad": Nothing sucks.

Frank Dodd
06-30-2003, 10:20 PM
Well done, a very dark and disturbing piece of animation that is well suited to the musical track. Both work together very well an excellent piece of work.

gruvsyco
06-30-2003, 10:26 PM
Just got around to updating my divx codec....

Really nice work :thumbsup:

o-phile
07-01-2003, 12:21 AM
1. Footage = Perfect
2. Editing = sweet as hell! but... i know you could've done better :)... it just didn't look right sometimes, for the footage that is.
3. all in all = PERFECTION

raden
07-01-2003, 12:55 AM
Guys you are all :thumbsup:

Top notch production, congrats. The animation could have been better (check out Carlos Baena's shorts) and the direction/cutting could be much dynamic, but this is just great. And who the hell doing the art direction and character design?

Kudos to you guys and hopefully we can see you doing commercial works soon.

Goodluck:beer:

:me thinkin you guys doing Royksopp...mmm yeah theyre not Swedish but close and the music just warmly sweet he..he..

platypus
07-01-2003, 02:35 AM
very cool. i was just reading a review on Soilwork's new album the other day. had never heard of them before. next thing i know they show up on CGtalk. :buttrock:

i really dig the video, guys. very very professional quality, imho. i love the lighting, especially.

facial
07-01-2003, 05:29 AM
Downloading, The still images looks so attract me. Geat job guys.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ds
07-01-2003, 06:09 AM
downloading now, Soilwork are one of my favorite bands, can't wait till they come over to Australia later this year, I'd love to be part of a team doing CG work for such a wicked band.

where is the green evyious smiley? Oh well...

:buttrock: :beer: :buttrock:

maxhit
07-01-2003, 06:42 AM
oh,god!:eek: :eek: :love:

luima
07-01-2003, 06:52 AM
very nice!!

jadedchron
07-01-2003, 07:42 AM
well didn't like the music >: but other than that the cg is awesome.. i think you should put the copyright information the first few seconds and then take it off.. kinda distracting.

Flesser
07-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Gee! Just wanted to thank you all again for the nice feedback.

Pretty strange day, yesterday. Thinking that a little less than one year ago 2/4 of the team had never used a 3D software before, and now almost one year later, our video's popping up on the frontpage of cgtalk, 3dfestival (and thanks to that popping up on the news section in other big cg sites), and getting mail from all kind of people, wanting to congrat us.

My head is dizzy, heart is warm, face is smiling and everything feels just to good to be true!

And oh, Jmdajr: In flames have just seen the video, and they were impressed...

Raden: The concept of all the characters were created together. Kjell was the main character designer (See the final concept art on the homepage, and be sure to visit his homepage (http://student.sofe.nu/da02kjem), he's got some beutiful 2D stuff over there). Although his concept scetch of the tin/wool children (internally called Carrots) was based around a scetch i did in an early brain storm meeting (just had to say that, pretty darn proud of 'em).
The interior was mainly designed by me and Kjell. I modelled and textured most of the laboratory, the pipes, tanks, tables and and stuff. Since Daniel did the most complex character, The Evil Doctor, internally called Dr Phil, (with all the soft body dynamics, mechanical arms and stuff) he didn't have time to model that much in the laboratory as was planned in the start.

Well people. If you've got some more questions about the project just keep 'em coming, answering questions have never been more fun!

Big shouts to the Cgnetworks community!

umjetnik
07-02-2003, 04:00 PM
sensational !!! and done as a school project no less . I dont know if its been mentioned already but I'd be curious to know which Software was used. Never mind I just checked your web site and saw a screen grab of Maya..

Soilwork are sitting pretty with this baby. They owe you guys BIG for this, a world class film clip ...

Mpenzi
07-02-2003, 09:24 PM
I tried to download the videos for viewing, as well as trying to connect to the website, but got nowhere. :annoyed:

Have the videos been moved or removed? They sound really great (from what everyone says) and I'd like to check them out :drool:

jervill
07-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks umjetnik!!
For the video we used Maya for all the 3D. Photoshop was used for all the texturing and for post-production we used AfterFX/Premier.

“They owe you guys BIG for this” –well after all the great response from you guys I don’t know.

Simon and I went to the 3DFestival (which was GEAT) this year and listened to two German guys who held a session which was called: “We were young and needed the money”!! So now our team are going to apply for hosting a session next year, which we are planning to call: “We were dum and didn’t get any money!” ;)

Mpenzi: The video is still available! But our schools server is rater unstable, (for the moment), so if you are having trouble, please do try again later!

lildragon
07-03-2003, 10:58 AM
I said what I had to say ;) hope you got some great exposure and feedback thru email from this. Very well done once again.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Inspiring work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_july03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

warmup
07-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Amazing!!!!, Is the best job that I had never seen here in cgTalk. The produce is brillant and it have very nice esthetic all. Good job, kepp working in this way!!!!:beer: :drool:

Primitive
07-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Ah, makes me proud of being Swedish.

2 thumbs up! (Too bad 2 was the limit, it deserves more). :beer:

ChrisNeuhahn
07-17-2003, 07:08 PM
For those who care SOILWORK is playing tonight at the Palace in Hollywood with IN FLAMES.

Yeah!

The-3D-Data-Labs-Guy
07-18-2003, 10:09 PM
wow its rocks..GREAT!:thumbsup:

mactabilis
07-27-2003, 12:35 PM
wow! cool video! These guys just played here with Unearth, In Flames, and Chimaira... man what a great show.... I didn't think Id see their video on CG Talk.

Flesser
08-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Haha, how cool is this:
Banned from MTV...

wahahaha
08-04-2003, 09:50 AM
wow!!! i wonder when i can reach that standard!!!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

summeralive
08-04-2003, 10:00 AM
COOL WORK!..................

SirManfred
08-25-2003, 02:48 PM
Very nice!
Fett grymm!
I like the music too.
Cool video

Primitive
08-25-2003, 03:11 PM
Congrats to the airplay on ZTV guys!

I saw it there last night most recently.

DanielWichterich
08-28-2003, 07:49 PM
I just wanted to say that I can't stop watching this video again and again!
It's incredibly inspiring!

Hatey
09-17-2003, 07:52 PM
awesome video guys, great work all the way. Soilwork is great
and an interesting take on a kind of 'hate/break up song'

btw Crimson 2 is out by dan swano :)

ds
09-18-2003, 02:39 AM
went and saw Soilwork last Sunday here in Adelaide, What a brilliant band, man I'm soooo Jealous of you guys to have done a geat film clip for such a wild band. You must be very Proud

:applause: :beer: :buttrock: :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.