PDA

View Full Version : The Animator's Survival Kit Reviewed!

PieterVH
02-04-2009, 09:45 AM
On 3DWorld today:

http://www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=review_the_animator_s_survival

Big fat 10/10! Woohoo!

francomanko
02-04-2009, 10:01 AM
600 quid...booooo :)

craigjarvis
02-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Got the book its a wee bit cheaper 25..

Boone
02-04-2009, 11:53 AM
If you want a starting point for animation, and serious about it, then this is simply the best purchase you can make.

Imhotep397
02-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I've had the book for years and definitely want the DVD series, but damn, that price is steep. They need to have the option of buying that one DVD at a time or something. I will be saving coins for it though. AST will probably usurp the importance of "The Illusion of Magic" as far as character animation training.

thematt
02-04-2009, 01:10 PM
we have them here and the content is great, it's the book but all animated with even more exemple.
I'd say it very worth it, because if you have the book seing it all animated makes even more sense.
Richard is a very good teacher, and the exemple are all great and fun and extremly well explain.
So yes price is high but it's just like having Richard William at home asking him question.

I'd say super good !!.

cheers

_mg_
02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
worth every penny!

Phrenzy84
02-04-2009, 03:04 PM
600 quid...booooo :)

I'd say with over 30 years of discovery , hard work and talent. Let the guy earn some scratch. :)

I still cant believe the book is only 25 pounds. If that was me, i would charge 600 just for the book :p.

craigjarvis
02-04-2009, 03:15 PM
I've got to agree 25 is a bargain I'm certainly no animator but it is very interesting to see the concepts and this bloke is fantastic.Its certainly a well thumbed tome.
It would be fantastic to actually see the procedures in the flesh as it were rather than on a static page but I'm afraid in the current climate 600 is well out of my means,perhaps one day.

JoshBowman
02-05-2009, 08:20 AM
I'd say with over 30 years of discovery , hard work and talent. Let the guy earn some scratch. :)

I still cant believe the book is only 25 pounds. If that was me, i would charge 600 just for the book :p.

Except maybe for the fact that the examples he animates on the DVD aren't actually done that well at all, his wobbly headed walk cycle looks like a disjointed mess and most of the stuff doesn't have any real sense of weight (oh sure there's overlap and follow through but it's all a bit floaty).

Save your money and just get the book, the DVD set just explains what's in the book anyway.

Maybe the set gets better later on though, I only got a look at the first 2 DVDs.

mullet
02-05-2009, 06:31 PM
i didn't really like the book at all. Why shouldn't i listen to music while i work!

MrPositive
02-05-2009, 09:23 PM
i didn't really like the book at all. Why shouldn't i listen to music while i work!

Because you aren't smart enough to do two things at once!!!

Boone
02-07-2009, 11:52 AM
I think the thing about music is 50/50. Listening to singing can be quite distracting but simple "background music" I find is essential for maintaining the mood.It really depends on the artist.

mikecawood
02-07-2009, 11:25 PM
I guess 600 is a bit much for the average animation student, especially when that student doesn't know what knowledge they're buying yet. But if you can convince your College/Uni/School/Work Place to buy it then it's bound to be worthwhile and pay for itself in spades. It's been a long time now, but I remember just one day with Richard was like downloading directly from the Matrix.

musashidan
02-07-2009, 11:45 PM
I guess 600 is a bit much for the average animation student, especially when that student doesn't know what knowledge they're buying yet.

but people would have no qualms handing over a few grand to do a dodgy "Animation" course in a college where the teacher was probably never even trained in trad 2D.

Richard had the honour of actually personally recieving an apprenticeship from some of the oldschool gods of animation.I havn't viewed the material,but i have owned the book for several years and if that's anything to go by.........

Boone
02-08-2009, 11:04 AM
but people would have no qualms handing over a few grand to do a dodgy "Animation" course in a college where the teacher was probably never even trained in trad 2D.

Richard had the honour of actually personally recieving an apprenticeship from some of the oldschool gods of animation.I havn't viewed the material,but i have owned the book for several years and if that's anything to go by.........

Quoted for agreement. A beginner is better off buying this set and taking on life-drawing evening classes instead - which works out much cheaper in the long run.

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2009, 11:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.