PDA

View Full Version : 90 minutes to launch

dangermouse
02-04-2009, 06:58 AM
90 minutes. That's one and a half hours.

Model me a spaceship.

Remember, this is a speed model. Emphasis on speed, and fun.

I don't care about your topology. I don't care about your polycount. I especially don't care about your method.

Spend a MAX of 30 minutes on coming up with something good to model. Don't spend days researching, don't spend days on practice runs.

Sit down after dinner, come up with an idea, set a timer for 90 minutes.

That's all!

All you need to hand in is a shaded version of your model. I don't want to see wireframes, and DEFINITELY no textures. Just to clarify, you can post whatever you want, but if there's any voting to be done, it will be based purely on your shaded models appeal.

What I'm getting at is this is about making an object, in any way you can, and doing it quickly. There will be critiquing if you want it, but this is mostly about practice, fun, and sharing techniques!

For now we'll keep EVERYTHING related to this challenge in this thread.

Come on guys, I know you're out there. Any simple thing, just make it quick. And do it by this time (marked as the post date) 7 days from now.

I've attached some inspiration. As you can see, anything goes, and you're welcome to enter whatever your skill level.

I have my idea, but I've just burnt all my free time for the day writing this...

icekiller
02-08-2009, 02:41 PM
sounds like a fun challenge

dangermouse
02-09-2009, 08:48 AM
heres my effort, it's a little sort of racing ship.

70 minutes total, including 5 minutes of thinking of an idea and 10 minutes rendering.

come on guys!

mr_carl
02-11-2009, 01:01 PM
So had some time over to try this out.
Fun object to model, didn't know what to do only had the form of the wings in my mind and then I let the rest just happen.
Anyway here it is.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/mr_carl/90-minutes-to-launch.jpg
(http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/mr_carl/90-minutes-to-launch.jpg)

Ledux
02-12-2009, 12:06 PM
My spaceship. It took me equaly 1 hour.
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7967/muspaceshipcq3.jpg

ibbo
02-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Heres my effort - went for something a little larger (its supposed to be a battleship or something)! This took around 40 min's and was done using Maya 7.0!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/ibbo86/1-1.jpg

Some nice work from people so far,

-Ibbo

Digitool
02-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I got some time this evening, so I plan on getting an entry done tonight or this weekend.

Some good entries so far, let's keep it up.

SKeller
02-14-2009, 12:31 AM
And do it by this time (marked as the post date) 7 days from now.

this challenge was interesting, can't it last a little longer for more people to participate?

dangermouse
02-14-2009, 01:53 AM
yeah, i was going to be strict and close it on time, but since there is still a bit of interest and there are still entries coming, and no one really knew about before now, i'm going to give it a few more days until the entries dry up, but not too long. might just wait for you two guys, and see if theres any more interest. i dont want this to drag too much, but i'm happy to wait for you.

im quite pleased with the turnout so far! if we hit 5 entries, then i'll keep these coming :) I've got a few fun ideas :)

thanks for your support guys.

PS; I'm loving your ship mr carl, thats the sort of style i was trying for, but you kind of out did me ;) I may try again, but I've got to work this weekend, we'll see

TheSpider56
02-14-2009, 10:58 PM
This looks like an awesome, easy way to get some practice modeling and maybe a little critique. Thanks for posting this thread and i'll have my image for you in about 90 minutes.

TheSpider56
02-15-2009, 12:41 AM
This took the full 90 minutes including render times.
I didn't really have much of an idea of what i wanted besides the sails, but it turned out ok.
Image next post because i'm new.

mr_carl
02-15-2009, 07:37 AM
thanks dangermouse, itīs always good to get some nice feedback, you didīt do such a bad job yourself, I like how you don't have the middle sharkfin wing thingy (don't know the real name of it).

Dansolo
02-15-2009, 03:11 PM
As you have allowed extensions ( I only noticed the challange a day for it was due to close)

Took about 90 - 95 mins.

Spent way too long on engine detail and it needs more work.

Not really sure what it is supposed to be. Sketched out some ideas and its sort of a kitbash of them all really.

Been fun though.

dangermouse
02-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Wow guys, I'm really pleased with the turnout, there's definitely going to be another one after this, I wasn't entirely sure if there would be if not many took part, but this has turned out cool, thank you all.

TheSpider56: Not seeing your image buddy
mr_carl: I love how consistant your style is, it have a very designer feel to it, i like it! I'm curious what that artifact is on the windscreen(?) is though
Ledux: Welcome to the forum! Glad you entered, keep it up :) it reminds me of something i've seen in a cartoon once, cant quite put my finger on it though...
ibbo: Nice sense of scale there, even without fine detail it definitely feels big. Only comment is it's a touch hard to see the shapes because of your shader/lighting, but it's some nice volume modeling you've got there
Dansolo: Wow, those engine cones look fantastic! It's a pity you didnt finish it all, but it's great to see you really pushing the envelope, I was too afraid to try anything too detailed in 90 minutes and ended up too simple, if we can find a good middle ground, we can get some awesome models through this I think

I'm having some trouble wrapping my brain around international time zones, but I'm going to let this run for 2 more days from now, since there are still entries coming, but thats got to be it, I don't want to keep people that have already entered waiting, i want to keep some momentum going on here :)

thanks again guys! keep it up

Digitool
02-16-2009, 07:22 AM
You guys can go ahead and move on on this one. I know it's only a small amt. of time to work on things but after a snow storm we had a little while ago we are under a lot of pressure to get things done at school and I've tried to make time for this challenge but this weekend (having time off of work even) i've had to use that time to study up for a makeup test and get some projects done to help make up some chapters. Now here I sit and I'll have some time in the morning but I may not be able to crank out a spaceship in that amt. of time with also having to get ready for work and stuff. I feel like a bum for being a big advocate of this and yet not being able to put together a project. I will still submit if possible but if you all want to move on and get the next one going thats fine, I wll join in when things slow down which look like it should be as soon as this test is over and probably as soon as tuesday we should be caught up and I should be able to have some free time to work on these projects.

I really feel dumb for trying to push this and yet never seem to have time to get a project in.

zortech
02-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Just found this thread and had some time to kill. :) I've tried myself on a boxy freighter...unfortunaltely I got carried away with some of the details.

Here's what I've done during the 90min. Guess I'd need another 90min to finish (add) the cockpit + refine the guns and engines... + other stuff. Maybe I'll finish it tomorrow...

Nice idea for a challenge! I'll take a look into this a bit more often. And sry for the lousy image quality but that's < 90kb...

mr_carl
02-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Nice one zortech, would be nice to see it finished.

dangermouse: The artifact on the window is a black square with some luminous polygons to get a reflective star sky, and I forgot to hide it from the camera and only get the reflection from the "stars", but maby I shold just make it really big insted, hmm I will have to try that.

dangermouse
02-16-2009, 11:32 PM
zortech, that is sweeeet. I dont understand why but even unfinished it somehow looks complete. looks as if it would be on a massive scale and the cockpit could just be a tiny speck sitting on top of one of the engines.

one day to go, and i'm going to put up a vote thread and a new challenege at the same time.

SKeller
02-17-2009, 01:33 AM
unfortunately i still haven't found any free time to do this because of a freelance project and some readings for school... i really wish i could have participated on this. Maybe tomorrow morning i can do it and still have time to upload something.

Zortech, i really liked your model! And i agree with dangermouse, your ship looks completed, all those boxy parts could be big compartments of the ship. Congratulations!

KintaroTheBrave
02-17-2009, 03:15 AM
"Rocket Chopper"

http://i42.tinypic.com/24b9ce9.png

Detail Shot as well:

http://i39.tinypic.com/i6gms6.png

To big to post in window, sorry. 1280x720 88minutes, I was sweating for the last fifteen not sure I'd finish the job lol. This was my first modeling challenge, it was a good learning experience, and fun. I kind of went a bit abstract with the concept... it's technically a type of space vehicle. but not sure if it will meet your specifications... (edit yes no textures haha, I suppose the detail shot will suffice then) anyway, it was worthwhile to make either way for me. Thank you!

Digitool
02-17-2009, 03:19 AM
OK, so I'm going to have a submission tonight. I have about 20 min left of modeling in my bank and I'm not going to be able to finish but that was just poor managment from my end. I got off on some ideas that didn't pan out and scrapped some things. Then again, I didn't settle on any solid pre-pro, I just started going with my ideas.

Digitool
02-17-2009, 04:05 AM
I hope that this image size doesn't mess everyone up.

Blue Collar Blast Off (http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd142/tgrinstead/90minBlastoff.png)

Extras (http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd142/tgrinstead/90Min002.jpg)

Basically, I ran out of time (see above comment for reasons) to model a crane on him, but basically this is a blue collar type of ship. Workers man this to work out in plants and docks or out constructing new buildings. I guess you can call this guy the supervisor since he doesn't have the means to do the work himself haha.

The stylings are done simplistically, mainly because I'm in a project now using this style and I didn't want to start modeling this and mess up my flow.

Hope you guys enjoy the concept.

zortech
02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the comments! :)

I'm looking forward to the next topic and hope it will be as challenging as this one.

@KintaroTheBrave (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=334996)
It looks finished as it got all the parts you could imagine for a "Rocket Chopper".

@Digitool (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=68152)
Modelingwise it looks good...the top part lacks a bit of mid-scale detail. In my opinion, you've emphasized the watchtower part of your concept slightly to much. But 20min is very limiting indeed...

grantmoore3d
02-17-2009, 04:02 PM
This sounds like fun, though I think I'm going to wait for the next challenge.

Tasp
02-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Wow some new stuff in the speed modelling forum!

I don't have a post, just want to give some encouragement, these models look great for 90minutes of work.

Mr_Carl- I really like your ship design, it's exotic but still looks like it has some actual engineering behind it!

Dangermouse- Thanks for putting up this challenge, I look forward to seeing what's next. I think I'll try to participate as well, I need to hone my skills and having a time constraint seems to be helping me with my 2d art, so maybe the same will be true for 3d.

SKeller
02-17-2009, 09:34 PM
finally got some free time to try this challenge! Modelling took a little more than 1 hour.
I tried to do something cartoonish. This is the first speed modelling challenge that i participate, so i`m glad i could made something out of the 90 minutes time limit.

Digitool
02-18-2009, 12:34 AM
SKeller: that is a really cool concept. Like the detail in the engine, it kind of seems offbalance from an engineering standpoint but I like it none-the-less. I know that it's not about making something work it's just simply about making something and making it in a way that can help get better. I like it.

I'm really glad we got the turnout we did for this challenge, and the community seems to be taking onto the challenge. Thanks dangermouse for the kick in the pants on the challenge. I'm ready for the next (even though my mouse button finger has a gash on it, tender, but can still click haha)

TheSpider56
02-19-2009, 01:49 AM
I guess i could've "poofed" out the solar sails to make them look more like, well, sails. Awesome posts so far, lots of inspiration. 90 minutes total with render times. A little late, i realize, oh well. I'll catch the start next time.

Digitool
02-19-2009, 05:36 AM
thats really cool, yeah a little more... poofy-ness wouldn't hurt to sell them as sails.

Nitramus3
02-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Hey I just found this thread and I'm just wondering if it's still open. I've got some ideas I'd like to try, thanks.

Digitool
02-20-2009, 05:36 AM
For the most part I do believe it is "closed" however no-one will stop you from puting up a piece. I think that it should be encouraged to try things even if judging is closed. It helps you get better, it's practice and you never know what cool things can come about. Practice should never be closed. And I look forward to seeing your ideas.

Also, I like going back through challenges and trying closed ones, because sometimes I need some direction, rules, and specific guidelines to follow to make some models and when I am having trouble laying down my own foundations, I turn to places like this to get some practice.

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2009, 05:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.