PDA

View Full Version : Ocean hitting a rock?

DarkNemos
02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I am kinda testing particle flow and a friend of mine gave me a task (for learning sake) to make an ocean waves splashing on a rock and then particle rise like a splash. Ive been trying to make this all day and i cannot figure out how to get interaction with animated plane and a geosphere and from that interaction to emit particles. Now my friend would like to help me but he is working in Houdini :)

Basicly he sad to me that he can create a animated spline from that interaction and to emit particles from there. And can use some kind of velocity to control how the particles will act when they are born.

Here is a non working scene file (max 2009) for you to see how i aproached this problem. And i couldnt figure this one out.

I am not using any plugins for particle flow. I am trying to get this effect with max default tools.

DarkNemos
02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Is this a stupid question?

SoLiTuDe
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Is this a stupid question?

Not at all. I'm sure most people ( like myself ) are too busy to open the file and look at it. Besides, I don't have 2009 at work. :D I would go for a volume select on the water, so that the rock selects the faces nearest the rock... then in pflow lock particles onto the water surface, and from there spawn particles based on speed / travel distance, with some that would use a lock bond to keep them on the surface, and some that could spray upwards. Shouldn't be too hard... there's a lot of way to accomplish this.

DarkNemos
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the reply SoLiTuDe,

I guess i am doing it all wrong. I am trying to spawn or emit particles from colision of two UDeflectors witch seems to be imposible IMO. Ill try with your solution when i have the time (work,work)

JonathanFreisler
02-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Yeah, i downloaded the scene a few days ago and havent had time to play around with it yet.

ive attached the scene i came up with in my lunch break. I used a gradient ramp to make a ring around the rock, used that as the density by mat. Lock bond to surface. Then set up a collision spawn and no del parent. The child got sent to a new event that had a speed, gravity, and a spawn for some trails. And i set the deflector up at the peak of the wave, so when a high wave came past the rock the particles would spawn particles that shot up.

hard to explain, and not 100% on the effect yet, but id love to eat now lol. principles are there, solitude has some good points to determin when the spray should be formed, i just used the height of the wave.

PsychoSilence
02-05-2009, 10:33 PM
allan covers that topic in his second dvd (which is not as good as his first one but still teaching :) )

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/309665

Project 4: Barrel Splash
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup
Using LockBond (PFlow Tools)
Splash Setup
Splash Material
Foam Setup
Foam Material
AfterBurn Setup
Digital Fusion Composite
Total Running Time: 1:57:53

Project 5: Icebergs
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup Part 1
Particle Flow Setup Part 2
Total Running Time: 41:30

the barrelsplash should do something like u have in mind:
http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_on_5_26_2006_16_48_47/AVE2_Image03_4x4.jpgc6d25016-7e6e-4ba0-8f18-a77547ab41c6Large.jpg

DarkNemos
02-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys. Ill take a look when i have time to breathe :) (the same problem as you have)

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2009, 09:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.