PDA

View Full Version : Operating Temp between Palomino, T-Bred, Barton sizable or not?

singularity2006
06-29-2003, 08:13 AM
I'm getting conflicting reports about the operating temps of the Palomino core and the T-bred core.... some say they run about the same w/ the T-bred only marginally cooler if at all... others say there is a big diff? Can anyone here speak from any good solid experience w/ them?

And as for the KT400 chipset, I noticed Soyousa, the manufacturer of my board has an update for Barton support...... but does the KT400 itself support the Barton core? Should I wait? does that run any cooler than the T-bred or Palomino?

marc
06-29-2003, 01:04 PM
wait for what? the barton is out and with loads of cheap boards
that offer true support. i am running a 2500+ barton. btw i need to flash my bnios. can someone help me with this?

GregHess
06-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Singularity,

The temp difference between a Palamino and a Tbred is pretty substaintal. A 2400+ XP will usually run cooler then a 1800+ XP with little or no trouble. In some cases a few degrees cooler.

(2.0 ghz vs 1.53 ghz).

I don't know about any major differences in temp between barton/tbred, but then I have limited experience with Barton processors. (The main AMD systems I build are for dna labs of which their software does not benefit from the additional l2 cache).

Marc,

Please post your bios question in another thread, instead of hijacking Singularities.

singularity2006
06-29-2003, 05:09 PM
thanks for the tip Greg. I've got a price watch enabled on newegg so when the price of the T-bred goes down far enough for a nice new 2700, I'm gonna jump in. =D I also set a pricewatch for the 3000+ just in case.... hehehee.

GregHess
06-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Sing,

I just got a 2700+ XP on an nforce2 ultra board (asus a7n8x).

From newegg actually. The board is running in the low 40's idle. (Around 41-42C) with a thermalright SLK800 with a 2700 rpm 80mm.

I'll get you the ambient temp of the room on monday if you want. (Its a system at work).

singularity2006
06-29-2003, 05:27 PM
wow.... VERY COOOOOOL...... I'm currently on a Vantec Aerofan... my system starts @ about 49*C and goes up to a little over 60*C idle... -.-" I just got a new case too!! I thought that would solve the problem but the temp is totally outa whack, more so than my old steel case from Enermax.

Does the Thermalright have SLK have any models that use a TMD fan?

my new case---> http://instillstudios.yoshi8me.com/drop_box/tower.jpg

The Cooler Master ATC case..... doesn't cool very well, though it does look nice. =D The aluminum is way too conductive I think. When ambient temps are high, it transfers to the auminum chassis and everything else a little too quickly. I was able to keep my case temp at about 90*F with my old case... it is now soaring to over 100*F to about 101, 103 on severely hot days... and the bay area has been hit with those the past week.

Sieb
06-29-2003, 05:36 PM
Tbird class procs should top out at 55C, anything higher and your pushing it, Tbred and Bartons tend to top out around 60C (just to be safe). But most should under load, average around 45-48C with normal cooling, but your better off keeping those in the lower 40s. My Shuttle nforce cube averages 48C under load. At idle, averages way below that (with the AC on in the apartment) thanks to the heatpipes.. :) I don't throttle the fan, its on full all the time. This is with a 2600+ 333 BTW.

singularity2006
06-30-2003, 03:44 AM
hmm... those temperatures seem like regular for "good cooling." If u took a look @ my desk, u'll see what a bad spot the computer is in.... heat gets trapped in the zone where it gets blown out..... so naturally, the temperatures I am sure will be just around the same as my current Palomino.... maybe a few degrees less... anyhow, I'm in no rush. Can't justify buying a new CPU since I haven't done anything really with it... just regular computing. ... I hardly even photoshop anymore... *SIGH* I did more photoshopping on my old 1.2GHz than this thing.... this is just an expensive toy with a lot of power I haven't put to good use... yet.

MattClary
06-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Singularity, those temps seem high! I would start some testing if I were you. If you think the area is simply too clutered right now, pull the machine out for an hour and see if the temperature drops. If it stays high, start looking at air-flow and possible bad thermal connection to CPU heatsink.

singularity2006
06-30-2003, 05:50 PM
ah yes quite high indeed!! >.<

But okay, here's my other issue. People are often giving me temperature readings from software based applications in Windows .... I get all mine directly from the BIOS. I've heard stuff along the lines of "the BIOS is always several degrees off" or "the software is always several degrees off" .... I have no way of verifying. -.-"

on top of that, I have on idea what application for temp monitoring will work w/ my board.... Soyo doesn't seem to have any apps for it... only for the KT333, not the KT400.

MattClary
06-30-2003, 06:08 PM
Hmmmmmm... good point. Look around on downloads.com, maybe there is something there.

singularity2006
06-30-2003, 07:10 PM
yah, I found way too many diff apps... I'm not a fan of "testing" apps. I would prefer to get something directly from soyo to ensure maximum compatibility... either that, or get a large thermometer and stick it in my case. =D

Sieb
06-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Get a copy of Motherboard Monitor (MBM5). It reads the registers directly controled by the motherboard. If there is a thermisistor behind the processor core, then its going to be the best reading you can get unless you stick a thermisistor next to the core itself.

singularity2006
06-30-2003, 08:20 PM
i guess my board has a defunct diode. =T It won't give me any readings... it says 0*C all the way through everything. The only thing I can get is the CPU clock speed.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.