PDA

View Full Version : Do Robot Dogs Dream of Electric Treats: The Animation

alphatron
05-03-2002, 05:45 PM
Greetings everyone.

Still tightening a few things up, but pretty much done my first CG short film. It clocks in at around 14 mb, and is in the DivX 5 format.

As I'm still in a position to change minor things, I'd love any and all feedback.

Here's the link: http://www.flicker-free.com/divbot.avi

Download the DivX codec here: http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX501Bundle.exe

alphatron
05-04-2002, 01:28 AM
Sould I also encode this in .mov format? DivX seems to give some people problems.

Flaviosen
05-04-2002, 05:16 AM
wiiieerd....one crit....i dont get the feeling of weight in the walk animation ...other it is one surial short

FBMachine
05-04-2002, 05:28 AM
That was great! I definetly liked it, it has a very original feel ( even if the title is a play off a novel ). I agree with the comment on the dog walking though, it was almost like he was sliding in parts. I know he's mechanical, but he could benefit from some more natural motion.
Dan

alphatron
05-04-2002, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the crits guys.

I do agree about the walk cycle.. this is my first go at it, and my animation experience and skills are pretty weak. Something to really work on for next time :)

Getting that real heavy feeling is quite tough.. any suggestions on how to convey it?

Oh, and as you've pointed out, the title is a very explicit homage to Philip K. Dick, one of my favourite authors. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was an inspirational book for me.

alphatron
05-05-2002, 08:05 PM
I've got a Quicktime version coming for the non-DviX/Mac people.

Can anyone suggest a good compressor?

bassaminator
05-05-2002, 08:55 PM
what was the frame with the fireplace and the chair? just compositionally similar? a memory/ desire of the dog?
interesting short.

alphatron
05-06-2002, 02:02 AM
a memory/ desire of the dog?

bingo :)

and thanks for the comments.

alphatron
05-09-2002, 01:24 AM
Any other comments?

I've been having trouble getting a good size/quality ratio with Quicktime. Can someone recommend a compressor?

hypercube
05-09-2002, 02:32 AM
Cool..really interesting design and visual style.

Definitely need weight to the animation and walk..didn't get the sense the dog was walking so much as floating while the legs moved..have to shift the weight, move in reaction, match the stride to the distance being traveled, etc. especially when it's struggling to move along.

Only other things that stuck out were the sparks and close-up fire need some work. The electricity looked cool, good contrast.

Oh and for QT, I've had decent results with Sorensen Video 3, at around 80%. divx will always be much tinier though.

alphatron
05-13-2002, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the comments Hypercube.

I'm not going to be putting up a Quicktime version. The Sorenson 3 compressed version was about 50 megs at pretty bad quality, so it's not worth it. Sorry to all the Mac users.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.