PDA

View Full Version : Anisculp blender to XSI (anyone tried it?)

pete
02-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone had tried exporting their animation to blender to try out this cool looking technique?
http://vimeo.com/2274969

Pete

ThE_JacO
02-03-2009, 05:01 AM
the cool looking technique really is just moving with proportional on in view mode, saving and apply shape key, and then move them freely around in the animation mixer.

pete
02-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Oh yeah. I guess that could work pretty cool! I don't know why i never thought of it before but I think I'll have to put it to some use in future.
It did seem as though they had some nice brush tools there though (like relax).

ThE_JacO
02-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Those aren't one off steps in XSI, but can be emulated in two by driving a deformer with a weightmap. That will also work fine with the shapeclips workflow, and retains more proceduralism than most other platforms.

Tekano
02-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Try using the Hair Brush tool on meshes - I was surprised it works on meshes too - pretty much similar behavior to what I just saw on that vid.

pete
02-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah, the hair brush tool is cool on meshes! That was a bit of a surprise :)

ThE_JacO
02-07-2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah, the hair brush tool is cool on meshes! That was a bit of a surprise :)
Why would it be?
For all the small things it can sometimes seem like it's missing, if there is one thing they got right with XSI is the strong polymorphism of a small set of tools :)

3dtutorial
02-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Why would it be?
For all the small things it can sometimes seem like it's missing, if there is one thing they got right with XSI is the strong polymorphism of a small set of tools :)

Exactly!

XSI gives users the freedom to use tools in many possible ways (perhaps ones not even considered by the developers) which is a very powerful aspect of the software that is often overlooked by many.

Womball
02-10-2009, 05:32 PM
The hair brush tool? How is that different than the traditional method of making hair?

toonafish
02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Lol, it's not so much that Hair Brush can be used on other kinds of geometry too. It is exactly the same tool as the "View Plane Proportional Transform Tool"

JDex
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Lol, it's not so much that Hair Brush can be used on other kinds of geometry too. It is exactly the same tool as the "View Plane Proportional Transform Tool"
Aye... it's like using the Move Points (Tweak Tool) in proportional mode - but on multiple meshes. Best trick I learned at Siggraph 2007...

adrencg
02-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Wow, is Blender really that awesome?

JDex
02-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Wow, is Blender really that awesome?
Yeah... it's really come a long way. Still a weird interaction paradigm though. 2 months into learning it and I feel like I did in Max (my first 3D app) at 2 days in.

Womball
02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Give it time, it grows on you. Although it seems like they are going to change the interface very soon.

pete
02-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Hey actually, I've been having a bit of trouble re-creating this effect in xsi,
Could someone help me out?

Say I put a point cache on an object, I'm not too sure how to set up the shapes on top of this. I can't have the pointcache above the shape combiner but it doesn't seem to work under it because if I create a new shape the points seem really out of whack...

ThE_JacO
02-23-2009, 01:49 AM
Probably because the point-cache referencing global space so low in the stack throws it out of whack.
Use local mode for shapes (so their transformation frameset is local to the point) and you'll find them working.

Sbowling
02-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything that can't be done just as easily in XSI. I could never really get past the terrible interface on that program. I do have to say that guy seems to have a lot more talent than 99.9% of the Blender users I've seen.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2009, 11:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.