PDA

View Full Version : Director Eric Heimbold Makes Super Bowl History With Doritos Ad “Power Of The Crunch"

Hypester
02-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Los Angeles, CA – (February 2, 2009) – Director Eric Heimbold is celebrating after his “Power of the Crunch” commercial for Doritos aired during the Super Bowl XLIII broadcast yesterday. “Power of the Crunch” earned the 2nd place honor in this year’s Doritos “Crash the Super Bowl” program. The spot was also rated #5 on the coveted USA TODAY Super Bowl Ad Meter.

“Power of the Crunch” was one of five top ads selected by Doritos maker Frito-Lay from nearly 2,000 submissions, and voted on by consumers for the chance to air during this year’s Super Bowl broadcast. Thousands of fans voted at www.SnackStrongProductions.com between January 5 and January 25 to determine the winner.

Each of the five finalists received a $25,000 prize – and also vied for a $1 million bonus prize from Doritos if a fan-made Super Bowl ad took the top spot in USA TODAY’s Ad Meter. “Free Doritos,” created by Joe Herbert, did just that, landing in #1 on the Ad Meter. However, due to overwhelming enthusiasm and feedback from fans across the country, Doritos chose to also air Heimbold’s “Power of the Crunch” during the Super Bowl.

The USA TODAY Super Bowl Ad Meter tracks the second-by-second responses of a panel of viewers to ads during the national broadcast of the Super Bowl and ranks them favorite to least favorite. Created in 1989, USA TODAY’s Ad Meter has been regarded as the most influential Super Bowl ad rating in the advertising industry.

“Power of the Crunch” is a comedic take on the idea that people are corrupted by ultimate power. A young man enjoying a bag of Doritos finds that his every wish comes true – from a rip-away dress on an unsuspecting woman walking by to cash flying out of an ATM machine – until he ultimately self-destructs when he runs out of the tasty snack.

To view the spot, please visit
http://wildplum.sogma.com/files/wildplum/doritos_power_of_the_crunch.mov*

Eric Heimbold, a graduate of the film department at Pasadena Art Center College of Design, was hoping to challenge himself as a filmmaker and to create work that would be appreciated in a well-structured public forum. Time and budget were tight, which meant being creative with his resources and pulling in favors from friends.

“The idea that you can make your own spot with a potential run on the Super Bowl was very enticing,” says Heimbold. “Conceptually, I wanted to tell a story that’s edgy and funny – and inspired conversation. This project also enabled me to use the skill sets I’ve gained from my work in music videos in terms of storytelling and finding creative solutions.”

Heimbold, who self-financed the commercial, elicited help from his old school friends and crews whom he previously collaborated with on music videos for the hit show “American Idol.” Wild Plum, which currently reps Heimbold as a director, provided additional production support. The one-day shoot in downtown Los Angeles required previsualization and detailed organization, particularly for the VFX shots.

“Everyone’s support and willingness to help me realize this dream were invaluable,” notes Heimbold. [Line Producer] Ted Robbins was instrumental in keeping everything on track and organized the day of the shoot. We had a lot of material to cover. Nic Chatfield, a good friend, stepped up and played the role of our protagonist. We had talented filmmaking, art and costume crews that pulled all of their resources and skills together within a tight timeframe. Cinematographer Tony Molina and editor Oliver Power were also key in helping to create a fantastic end product.”

Heimbold and Molina chose to shoot on the RED camera, which was donated by SIM Video, citing its ability to produce beautiful cinematic footage indistinguishable from 35mm film.

“I’m enormously proud of our spot,” concludes Heimbold. “I think it looks awesome. It was such an honor to be part of the finalist group. All of the filmmakers are brilliant and nice people, too. Doritos was so supportive, and treated us like family. It was inspiring to watch them in motion – they didn’t shy away from any challenges and were driven by their teamwork and love for one another. I’m excited to see what they come up with next!”

Credits:
Production Company:Wild Plum
Director: Eric Heimbold
Executive Producer: Shelby Sexton
Line Producer: Ted Robbins
Head Of Production: *Sandy Haddad

DP: Tony Molina
Production Designer: Danielle Clemenza
Wardrobe: Marco Morante
Make-Up: Ashley Adams

Editorial and Post: Sixty Hertz
Editor: Oliver Power
Lead FX Artist: Dan Pierse
Colorist: Claude Shires
Producer: Suzy Ramirez

ivanisavich
02-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Really didn't stand out to me as anything special or anything different than any other generic tv ad I've seen. Was actually pretty lame for a superbowl ad. Don't get me wrong, it's a cute idea, but it's not something that I'm going to go "OMG LOLOL!!! WHEN HE BITES A CHIP WEIRD THINGS HAPPEN ROFL!!!" to. Would have actually thought a huge company like Doritos could come up with something better.

Anyways, not to rain on your parade (well, not your parade specifically since you're just posting some press for the spot)...it's nice that the director got such a high-profile spot to work on.

Layer01
02-03-2009, 08:26 AM
I think the statement "makes Super Bowl history" might be a *weee* bit of a stretch.
He won some recognition which is cool, but i agree with ivanisavich, its hardly the worlds greatest ad concept.

spikkel
02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Why does this post seem spammy to me?
Is it just me?

JoshBowman
02-03-2009, 11:42 AM
No I agree....I didn't see anything in the ad that made me go *wow this is history making* infact as soon as the girl had her clothes ripped off I immediately though it was lame and cheap and did NOT make me want to buy the product.

XminusOne
02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Cheetos rule!!!:D The ad was ok, like everyone else said, but how it got the top spot is beyond me, it wasn't THAT good. It didn't stand out, but it's gotten some attention (bad reception is a good reception?).

vfx
02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Helps if you remove the asterix from the link

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.