PDA

View Full Version : Squash and Stretch Rig

Kion
06-29-2003, 04:45 AM
Does have or know where to fnd a squash and stretch rig tutorial? Or if you know other ways of how to do squash and stretch without a rig other than blend shapes that would be great too. THANKS!

Kion

anthonymcgrath
06-30-2003, 03:50 PM
let me see if I got this right - you wanna squash and stretch a character/object/something cg without using a skeleton rig and not using blendshapes?

you could try the nonlinear tools in the deform menu for squashing and stretching a shape but you'll have to elaborate more on what it is?

dwalden74
06-30-2003, 04:41 PM
2mellow-

I don't know of any tutorials, but it should only take you about 5 minutes to understand how to go about doing this on your own. The "autoRig" script does this via expressions. You can also do this with utility nodes if you like. Basically what you need to do is calculate the length from your ikHandle to the first bone in your chain (for example, wrist ikHandle to shoulder joint), then divide this by the original length of the chain in its default pose. This will give you a multiplication value which you can apply to either the joints' translation or scale (translation is better though). Got it?

:beer:
David

Rudity
07-02-2003, 05:34 AM
You can key the scale on the joints too. Quick hack for squash or stretch when you need it.

dwalden74
07-02-2003, 12:05 PM
You can key the scale on the joints too

Yeah, sure, but you might run into some problems if youŽre keying directly the scale of the same bones that have an IK solution on Žem. For example, if you key the scale of the arm, the wrist might rotate unpredictably. I found translation a bit cleaner.

:beer:
David

goosh
07-02-2003, 11:00 PM
You can find a tutorial I did for a leg in
http://www.digital-dreams.net

(I'll soon put it in http://www.rigging101.com )

Hope that helps

Goosh

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.