PDA

View Full Version : animation: Character animation showreel

animatabull
06-29-2003, 01:36 AM
Ok, I've spent a week putting this together and think it's pretty much finished, showing my best animated scenes, most from my short film 'Hide and Eek'. I'm still touching up some of the individual animations, but at this point I would love to hear your opinions of it. Also please c&c the showreel editing, music etc.

I use 3ds max and usually character studio but some bones. As you will see I have used the free ciceto model from max and the IK Joe rig but the rest are mine.

Crit away, and please, be harsh.

Job offers are always most welcome :D

p.s. am working on the bad compression :shrug:

http://www.animatabull.co.uk/chrisbullshowreel.mov
23.5 mb quicktime

iBlue
06-29-2003, 02:43 AM
looks cool, i think the lip sinc need a bit more work, its not accurate.

:)

okkio
06-29-2003, 04:08 AM
To be honest I haven't downloaded it, though from the stills it looks like you need to pay a little attention to the lighting. It seems it is set in an outside envirnonment, the deep blue sky sugggests lots of sunlight, however your characters seem to lack any highlight... maybe look at some photo reference of people in a sunny environment, have a look at the difference in light between areas of their skin open to the sunlight, and areas in shadow. Your characters have a cute style, if you light them well it could transform your work.

Volker
06-29-2003, 04:22 AM
Well Chris,
You've got a good start on things, but the thing that seems to really be holding you back in almost all your animation is your understanding of weight. Right at the very begining, the red man has risen up, before he ever puts that left foot on the ground. The blue man seems to look like he's walking on the moon. His steps are very high, and when he puts his foot down, he doesn't shift his weight to that leg. Most of your characters apear to be moving in slow motion. Don't feel bad, this is a mistake that almost evey animator makes as he starts. The jump and spin after the tightrope walk, again looks like he's on the moon. He has no sense of weight. One of the best tools of an animator is a mirror. Do these moves with a stop watch, and you'll get a much better sense of your timing. (Wow, when I jump, I'm only in the air a half second, not a full second). I wasn't really sure what was going on in that last clip with blue boy. At first it just looked like he was really off balance, but then it looked like he was holing something invisible, and the the camera shook a lot. Keep it up Chris, you've got a great start!!!

~Zach

animatabull
06-29-2003, 06:19 AM
cheers guys,

iblue: true, lip synch neds a lot of work, might leave it out actually

Okkio: also true, the thing is that the film was for my second year film at uni and I spent all my time animating (as that's what I want to get into) leaving no time for lighting really. Will get round to re-rendering soon as I know it can make a hell of a lot of difference!!

Babyhopper:Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. It's kind of like because it's all very recent work and I've only started animating in max since last september, you become proud and excited by the work you've done, but become a bit blind to the faults like those you mention. I know I have that problem of animating in slow mo, it's tough to get round that. I usually animate something, think it looks good, then I'll put playback speed to double and it usually looks so much better. I have to admit, I haven't spent much time on the biped and blue characters, need to work on them a fair bit. About the mirror, well, I do use one and always act out what I'm animating to myself, but I'm probably exaggerating in my mind the actions I'm doing unconciously, like, say, the amount of time I'm really in the air for when I jump. Though, saying that I am aiming to be more of a comical animator than realistic so I'm always looking to exaggerate movements finding that more enjoyable. :D

Oh, and the blue biped at the end? He's supposed to be pulling an imaginary rope attached to an imaginary wall and the starts to climb it but then it kind of.... err.....gives way, and the whole world rotates as he pulls it. Looked at it for so long it doesn't register that it isn't too clear what's going on.

thanks
:D

Volker
06-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Chris, I can relate to every single thing you said. It just takes practice and repetition to get over it. By realizing this, you're further ahead than most people. Keep your nose to the grindstone.

~Zach

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.