PDA

View Full Version : How to: 3D model from 3 Views?

bkboggy
02-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I am trying to model an aircraft in Google's SketchUp. Essentially all programs are alike with a some differences here and there, but the basics of modeling stay the same.

I know how to create a boxy model out of side view and top view, however, I do not know how to implement the front view into that equation to get the right curves and such.

Does anyone know a successful technique or a good way to use 3 views to construct a model of a car, boat, plane, you name it. Without ribs (and a lot of plans don't include them) it just seems impossible to create the right curvature without guessing.

I could do some study on the object and do my best in guessing the curves, but I'd like to find a better way.

-BK

blank
02-02-2009, 01:00 PM
nope generally theres a bit of guess work or maybe I should rephrase that to averageing between the different views useing your experience, then step back fro mthe model every now and then and give the shape a check.

most photos from the front will have a certain amount of distortion so unless you have a plan drawing your stuck.

So best i can suggest if you cant find reference drawings with cross sections is to buy a plastic model kit and take measurements from it.

bkboggy
02-02-2009, 11:58 PM
That... my friend, is an excellent idea. Some scale models cost next to nothing and could be a great reference. Plus... I can probably create custom ribs out of cardboard by matching them against the model's exterior and then scale them and put them onto a plan.

Thank you for that idea!

-BK

blank
02-03-2009, 07:51 AM
glad to help, is what we do here at work :-) as a bonus you get a nice instruction book inside showing all sorts of details you can otherwise see in photos.

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2009, 07:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.