PDA

View Full Version : Can the camera follow a spline?

EtanSivad
02-01-2009, 07:33 AM
I've been looking on the internet, but haven't been able to follow an answer to this question.
If I have a model with an open spline in it, can I get the camera to follow it in Layout? Sort of like a rail extrude.

I have a city model I've been working on and it would greatly simplify the animation process if could build a spline into the city model, toss the camera on to it and just let it ride the "roller coaster track."

Any thoughts?

TrueArt Support
02-01-2009, 07:56 AM
What you're looking for is in Modeler, File > Export > Path To Motion..
And then import it in Layout.

kevman3d
02-01-2009, 09:33 AM
The other alternate to creating a Path:

Load your object and select the camera.
Press 'm' for motion options.
Add motion modifier "Curve Constraint" - This lets you make the camera constrain to a spline... You can tweak the settings to taste...
Only thing to watch for is the points on the spline, because the closer or further apart the spline points are can cause the motion to become slower or faster.

VirtualFM
02-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Also, after you have loaded the motion path to the camera in Layout, get to the Motion options panel and in the "Controllers and Limits" select Align to Velocity in the Heading and Pitch axis. You could also select Align to Path, but this one is gives you a very rigid movement, the Align to Velocity allows to "look ahead" a few frames (the default is 1/3 of a second) so it starts rotating before it gets to the keyframe. You should animate the bank by hand... well, at least I do!

OutOfInspiration
06-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Another easy method is to use the PathDeform modifier on your camera.

Then just pick a path and with the Percent-parameter you can move the camera.

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.