PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra Super Bowl spot!

RobertoOrtiz
01-31-2009, 09:22 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52443

Boone
01-31-2009, 09:56 PM
LOL, "G - I - JOE - THE ACTION FORCE!"

I think Stephen Sommers makes crap, but I kinda enjoyed Van Helsing for some strange reason. Ah sod it - I'll go watch it when it comes out!:bounce:

ParamountCell
01-31-2009, 10:24 PM
looks like cheesy fun, could be good, need to see more.

JDex
01-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Reminds me of the first Transformers trailer (not the teaser). Looks amazing from a VFX standpoint... but not appealing to me from the entertainment end. It looks like the only thing they adapted from G.I. Joe is the character's names and maybe a tiny glimmer of character backstory. :sad:

vfx
01-31-2009, 11:54 PM
Oh dear. Too much CGeee

kelgy
02-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Wow. I dont feel much energy in that.

Why does everyone in Gi Joe dress like the Baroness?

I can see Snake Eyes mouth. Is he wearing black face paint?
First Optimus Prime and now Snake Eyes. I think Hollywood discriminates against the mouthless.

Storm Shadow's costume looks rather unimpressive.

I dont think Sommers was a bad choice..in theory.
I liked the Mummy. I thought the Mummy Returns had its merits, and I cant completely hate Van Helsing.

The cartoon had some campy elements but...

but,
eh...
this isnt what I imagined for a Gi Joe trailer.

I thought they could have used the show music but it wouldnt help.

Hordak
02-01-2009, 12:39 AM
hmmm director from the Mummy... nuff said

DuttyFoot
02-01-2009, 02:40 AM
kooobbbbrraaaa...lol
snake eyes eye piece looks odd, and whats up with storm shadows costume.

shy-guy
02-01-2009, 06:25 AM
After reading in a webpage a la "aintitcoolnews" about how bad the trailer was, and how paramount send them a letter ordering them to remove their review of the trailer and bla bla bla... i was expecting garbage, something along the lines of the dragon ball movie trailer and well... this doesnt look bad, in a "brainless popcorn movie" kind of way.

I had some fondness for GI Joe (the toys more than the cartoon),so iŽll surely going to watch this and reserve from making any judgment till then.

Boone
02-01-2009, 10:05 AM
kooobbbbrraaaa...lol
snake eyes eye piece looks odd, and whats up with storm shadows costume.

OMG, wasnt Storm-Shadow that White Ninja guy? I had that dude's action figure as a nipper! It was even cooler when I read one of the comics and he walks through one of those string-with-chime-beads doorway without even making a sound. The guy in the room is like "SAY WHAT?" and the ninja-guy is like "BTW, heres your ass..."

Totally owned.:beer:

leigh
02-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Oh dear. Too much CGeee

Hey, it's paying my bills, at least :D

vfx
02-01-2009, 08:07 PM
haha that'll explain why then! :p No the work looks good, its just you know they try to do too much these days with the tool. Those guys bouncing around in the road and off the flipping car... it's just do you really need all that?

Oh and leave the Mummy alone - I loved the first one.. his only decent movie. ;)

Intervain
02-01-2009, 08:14 PM
omg Chris Ecclestone signed up for this? :surprised I'm intrigued ...

kelgy
02-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh and leave the Mummy alone - I loved the first one.. his only decent movie. ;)

It was a breath of fresh air compared to the other movie that came out that early summer(the Phantom Menace).
I thought it was fun and had a lot of energy.

RedSquirrel
02-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Wow G.I Joe, it brings back old memories but its bizarre I didn't know Destro was Scottish always thought he was African from his voice in the old cartoons. :surprised

Well, if I did go and watch this movie I think it would only be for the CG.

All these major studios must have a sniff at each others asses and come up with the same ideas. Sitting around their nice shiny boardroom tables you can imagine how the dialogue goes, "we've run out of ideas Joe, I mean we have already covered comic's books to death. I know, why don't we give 1980's action cartoons a go!" So they produced transformers, now its G.I Joe and in the future there's supposed to be Thundercats, He-Man and Dragonball Z (why oh why, I only need to look at the cast to see that this will be a flop and the main character playing Goku is white....hilarious).

Don't get me wrong I thought all these cartoons where great when I was a kid, but looking back now, watching on youtube, their pretty bad and strangely a little bit camp. Another question that arises, who's the target audience? Is it the 20 to 30+ something, who used to watch these cartoons when they where kids but now most really couldn't give a rats ass, or is it the kids of today who don't even know who the hell He-man is.

khendar
02-02-2009, 01:19 AM
and whats up with storm shadows costume.

It looks like a ninja outfit. What's it meant to look like ?

aaraaf
02-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Looks fun!

Besides, Larry Hama's on board. He wrote the vast majority of the cards on the figure backs and a HUGE chunk of the comic books, so it should still have some of its original resonance.

I've enjoyed the Stephen Sommers movies... maybe not perfect films and far from life altering, but a heck of a lot of fun and all I really expect out of most movies.
The suits definitely have some of the Sigma 6 look to them, which I think are kind of cool.

Teyon
02-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Anyone know why Snake Eyes' mask has a mouth? I mean, I always thought it fit him like Spidey's mask fits Peter Parker...don't remember a mouth being on the figures or in the toon.

Teyon
02-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Wow G.I Joe, it brings back old memories but its bizarre I didn't know Destro was Scottish always thought he was African from his voice in the old cartoons. :surprised

Well, if I did go and watch this movie I think it would only be for the CG.

All these major studios must have a sniff at each others asses and come up with the same ideas. Sitting around their nice shiny boardroom tables you can imagine how the dialogue goes, "we've run out of ideas Joe, I mean we have already covered comic's books to death. I know, why don't we give 1980's action cartoons a go!" So they produced transformers, now its G.I Joe and in the future there's supposed to be Thundercats, He-Man and Dragonball Z (why oh why, I only need to look at the cast to see that this will be a flop and the main character playing Goku is white....hilarious).

Don't get me wrong I thought all these cartoons where great when I was a kid, but looking back now, watching on youtube, their pretty bad and strangely a little bit camp. Another question that arises, who's the target audience? Is it the 20 to 30+ something, who used to watch these cartoons when they where kids but now most really couldn't give a rats ass, or is it the kids of today who don't even know who the hell He-man is.

I imagine it's both. The Studios hope the 20+ crowd will come for the nostalgia/curiousity factor and that the kids will come for the effects and wow moments. I agree that alot of the cartoons don't hold up and yes, some of them really needed to be CG or hand drawn instead of live action but it makes sense to build films off of existing IP's. Especially IP's that have done well in other media. Don't get me wrong, I'd have rather DragonBall be a pure CG romp - the studio is under estimating how much love kids have for those characters and how they expect them to look like the toon - but I totally think it made sense to make another film (counting the anime movies).

My problem is why does everything need to be live action. Some things just don't translate well to live action or were attempted as live action and failed critically. He-Man for example...when I was a kid I thought the movie wasn't great - couldn't understand Dolph to save my butt - yet it was cool that there was a film. Considering the material and the effects/stunts needed to make a film like He-Man or Thundercats relevant today (no running on camera, squating and running off Prince Adam) wouldn't it make sense to do these films as pure CG? Financially as well as practically? Lord knows folks will get tired of the furry animal themed films soon enough, why not give them something else?

Lordiego01
02-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I thought it looked pretty good.

The flipping ninjas remind me of something out of Metal Gear Solid 4. That was totally bad-ass.

That last shot, of the ninja jumping over the car, I thought it didn't look that hot. I understand there is still plenty of work to go in this movie, but it seemed like recycled animation from SpiderMan. There seemed to be no weight on his motion.

Other than that, sign me up, and ship me the Blu-Ray already! :D

kelgy
02-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Anyone know why Snake Eyes' mask has a mouth? I mean, I always thought it fit him like Spidey's mask fits Peter Parker...don't remember a mouth being on the figures or in the toon.

**It looks like he is wearing prosthetics or face paint.

I would bet either the director wanted more facial expressiveness since he doesnt talk, or Ray Park asked for it(or the studio that paid his salary--since he would be completely unrecognizable otherwise.). Or it was just one of those Hollywood creative decisions that are hard to fathom.

In the shot where they are walking together, the lack of colour makes Snake Eyes look anonymous on top of being short. Having him as the only one in black gave his character more visual presence(aka coolness).
I assume they wanted to avoid anything that resembled a modern military uniform.

I read that they changed Cobra Commander's costume because it too closely resembled the KKK.
Sounds like they are kidding-were they really worried about offending Klansmen in the audience? lol Maybe its just a rare internet factual error. :)

I read the comics and really liked the cartoon show(especially the mini series'). At the time the animation was rather good compared to what was out there and they put a lot of effort into the music and voices.
The 87 Gi Joe movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN034sBeF4c kind of sucked though(Cobralalalalalala!). I might cringe if I watched it now but I still like the music and animation.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5YjfGex5JHY

The 87 Masters of the Universe really wasnt bad given the fact that it was cheap(though expensive for Cannon). They really put some thought into it. It wasnt like the cartoon at all but they didnt play the characters for laughs. Its worth watching just for Frank Langella. "Let them rot. Let them rot."

Willem Defoe might have made a great Cobra Commander.

tfortier
02-04-2009, 04:24 AM
It will be rotten!!! (but im probably gonna hide and pick it up when a 720p is available someday)

no kidding, the last fx shot, snake eyes jumping over the car, was pretty lame. Come on... speed problem here!!

And what about Cobra Commander voice? nothing? just the normal average guy?? and no hood or mirror face?.. pretty sad if you ask me.

http://images.wikia.com/transformers/images/thumb/7/70/CobraCommander-150.jpg/358px-CobraCommander-150.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/jacklaruso/GIJoe-CobraCommander.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cq-h1RCj4yI/R90Aqu5kS2I/AAAAAAAAAVc/PBgH1YcTN-4/s400/watermark.jpeg

and now we got:
http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/rg012009/gi_joe_cards/cobra_card-the_doctor.php

R10k
02-04-2009, 05:11 AM
It looks like a ninja outfit. What's it meant to look like ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Shadow_(G.I._Joe)

I have the second toy at home... I loved my Storm Shadow as a youngin' :love:

beaker
02-04-2009, 06:44 AM
I was surprised how good the trailer was. I thought this movie was going to really suck when I saw the first images.

kelgy
02-04-2009, 03:18 PM
and now we got:
http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/rg012009/gi_joe_cards/cobra_card-the_doctor.php

**that scared me.

fbonniwell
02-10-2009, 06:29 AM
This is Very sad!

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2009, 06:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.