PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a shotgun ?

CodeVeroby
01-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone ! I recently made a shotgun for a game project, 5000 tris and 2048x2048 Diffuse, Specular and Normals maps .
I have absolutely no idea how weapons work in today's game engines and I need tips on how to have a rig for my shotgun, I don't care if it's skeletal, blend shapes or frame snapshots, just give me an explanation as to how do I rig the shotgun because I couldn't find anything online...

Thanks in advance !

KielFiggins
01-31-2009, 10:30 PM
What sort of game / use are you using the shotgun for?

FPS where the gun is right on on the camera?
-Typically fps anims are done without a character, only two arms, a gun and a camera. So you'll want to add in as many moving parts as necessary for the detail level. Trigger, pump, hammer, hatch open, ect. Pinning points for the hand to remain on the handle while its pumped or swung for a melee attack. Additional bones for the shells coming out (ejecting) from the barrels on discharge.

3rd Person where the gun is mid size on screen?
-Less details, typically only shells and pump, hatch if its a double barrel and needs to open. Same pinning system so the left hand can be constrained to the gun.

RTS where the gun is little like the character?
-Typically the gun is part of the character mesh, so it becomes another joint parented to the wrist (so it can move independantly). Pinning for the left hand, same as above. No secondary, maybe the pump.

Hope that helps.

CodeVeroby
02-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Thanks, I've made it for a third-person game and I modelled seperatly the trigger, pump and the door that opens and closes to cast the shells .
I'l post an image soon, thanks a lot !

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2009, 04:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.