PDA

View Full Version : Please help with Motion Designer computation hang-up

dpassera
06-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Hi! I feel like a jerk having my first post be a request for help, but I've been lurking and enjoying all the work and information here for several months.

Anyhow, here's the problem that I'm having:

I have a super-simple MD set-up involving 2 curtains and a window/wall. I'm actually using the curtain from a NewTek tutorial. The MD environment has gravity and wind, which affects the curtains but not the wall (it's fixed). Now, I've computed about 1200 frames of this on several occasions in order to test various settings (I usually start the computations and go to work and they're done when I get back) and I finally found a combination of settings that produced the results that I was after. Here's where the frustration starts.

I stupidly didn't save the .mdd files (didn't realise I had to until I reread the documentation), so I figured I'd just re-compute the scene and make darn sure to save the .mdds, this time. Unfortunately, it now takes me about 4 hours to compute to somewhere between frames 10 and 20 and then it stalls out. I swear that I have changed nothing intentionally and I have no idea why this happens. It does it every single time, too. I've restarted the computer, I've run only Lightwave and no other apps, I've tried a few things but I'm getting the same problem.

When I have the Task Manager open, it shows that my CPU is at 100% and 98-100% of that is going to Lightwave. But the scene never advances!

Here's some quick info about the MD and I'll gladly provide whatever else you guys think might be relevant:

- There are 2 curtains, each set to self-collide and collide with the wall, but not with each other (they don't touch).

- I have single-sided turned OFF, as the documentation led me to believe that would be necessary for self-collision of polygons which are all facing the same way before MD deformation.

- I've tried deactivating and reactivating the objects.

- I'm going nuts.

If ANYBODY has had similar problems or might have a suggestion as far as what could've happened, please let me know. In fact, if there's any kind/brave soul who wouldn't laugh at my hokey scene, I'll email it to him/her to take a look at. It's not complicated at all, but I've obviously accidentally done something wrong.

Seriously, thank you very much for even reading this and I hope someone can help.

HowardM
06-28-2003, 05:03 PM
haha, welcome to the forums, and welcome to MD hell! :)
send a link and ill check it out.

definitely do a search for MD, Motion Designer, etc here and on Newteks Forum (http://vbulletin.newtek.com) and the old forum (forums.newtek.com)...so you can learn from hours of realworld testing! the manual/tutorials just dont cut it.

in your search I think you will also find a few messages describing your problem and if I remember correctly, there may be a hoaky solution, such as make sure your timeline is on frame one, and that youve got the curtain object selected...wait for your OpenGl to draw correctly, then hit MDStart...I swear crap like that happens all the time with PFX and MD...

otherwise, learn to save multiple iterations of your scenes so if one flakes on you, youre safe!
:)

dpassera
06-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your advice. I'll definitely start trying to save a few staggered versions of my scenes. That's smart, even if this had nothing to do with MD.

I did a search for this problem before I posted and I didn't see anything specifically regarding this, but there were some things that gave me ideas and I'll try your stuff and those and if it still doesn't work, I'll post a link to the .lws.

Again, thanks a lot for trying to help.

HowardM
06-28-2003, 05:27 PM
definitely read this! -
http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/27478.html?

dpassera
06-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks for that link.

I set up a new, rudimentary scene that's supposed to do what the other one was supposed to do and it works fine. I guess something got corrupted or I changed an option somewhere on accident that messed up MD. For now, I'm just going to rebuild the scene from scratch and try to save and transfer my motion envelopes. I imagine there's a way to do that, so I guess I get to learn something new today. Thanks, Lightwave!

Captain
06-28-2003, 06:44 PM
I seem to have gotten hear late, but the 2 settings that always slow down my computer drastically are Mesh Resolution and Sub Structure...Spring someimtes does, but not always.

-Captain

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.