PDA

View Full Version : Syntax Coloring in the Legacy MXS Editor

JohnSwafford
01-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Anyone know for sure if the Legacy MXS Editor's syntax coloring in 2008/2009 is disabled or just bugged?

From either a Particle Flow Script Operator or a newScript() call, all of the text is light grey. No mention in the docs that I could find.

(I find it hard to believe Autodesk would subject Particle Flow scripters to this crap just to force everyone to use the new editor, but this seems too obvious to be an unnoticed bug. If this is intentional, then Autodesk has truly become Microsoft: overhauling functional code just to eliminate a user's options and then charging for the upgrade.)

Bobo
01-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Don't take this as 100% fact, but my understanding is that these editors have been switched to the Scintilla control (some hints: multiple undos actually work and all old keyboard shortcuts don't, for example the Left/Right/Centrer justification in the RichText control are gone). Back in Max 2008, an SDK break was not possible (since it was compatible with 9), and Oleg was not with Autodesk to deal with the PFlow implementation of a new editor. 2009 was a short development cycle, but I don't know if this was the reason this was not addressed. There might be deeper technical reasons - for example, color coding is part of the SciTE Tabbed Editor, not necessarily of the Scintilla control itself (but I could be wrong). So it might be necessary to open a PFlow script in a tab of the SciTE editor instead of in a stand-alone editor to take advantage of the auto-generated keyword lists for color coding. But PFlow scripts in tabs would frankly suck IMHO.

I will try to find out the real reasons and document them if possible. But don't hold your breath.

my 2 cents.

JohnSwafford
02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the info, Bobo. Sorry for the rant, but I'm still in the middle of forced transition to Office 2007 right now, so I'll be hating all change for quite a while.

BTW, I noticed from the screenshots at CG Academy that you used 3ds max 9 for the new particle scripting DVDs. Did this issue play a part in the version choice, or was it just Max 9's persistence among the installed user base?

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.