PDA

View Full Version : High school to college (please help)

warhawk887
01-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi guys, Im a sphomore in high school and im really into 3d modeling. and i have posted some of my work here. but heres the thing i spend sooo much time 3d modeling that my school grades slipped... im not talking a little i mean ALOT. middle school i had B's and C's now im getting D's and F's. and i dont know what to do i want to go to VFS, full sail, or IADT. and i want a good portfiolo and be ready. but also i need to pass high school... is it better to just kinda Pull through and pass high school with low grade ( D's and some C's) and have a really good 3d modeling background or kinda pause on the 3d modeling and try my best to get B's. Its really diffcult cause im not stupid. ( even though my spelling sucks) and i know the subjects but i just dont put the time in. So i just wanted to know what you guys think since your in the indrostury. What is VFS requirements? and is it better to have better 3d skill and low grade or Higher Grade but lower 3d skill?

Rebeccak
01-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Personally I think the better your communications skills and abilities are, the further you can go. I wouldn't just eke by, try to make the most of the other classes that you take as you never know when that will come in handy. I think reading in particular really informs your imagination, I need to do more of that, speaking of which...

Kirt
01-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I took a look at your portfolio and it only has one piece in there. Which shows a level of skill that I would expect from a Sophomore in High School. Not necessarily a bad thing, I just think you could benefit from more specialized training. So, the question is ... why don't you concentrate on your HS work to get your grades up and then rely on the college to fortify your 3D skills?

I think you're trying to put the cart before the horse and seriously jeopardizing your chances of getting into a college later on (which will help you more than trying to figure it all out on your own right now).

danlefeb
01-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Perhaps I'm not one to speak since I didn't "technically" go to high school or a traditional college, but I'd suggest learning as much as you can in high school and do 3d as you can without letting it affect your grades. When you're working in 3d, you're often asked to recreate actual objects or even exaggerated objects that are based off of real objects (cartoon characters, etc.). So knowing how those objects work is essential...basic skills like math, physics, etc. are vital to being able to understand how those objects interact with each other, or how they're built. How can you recreate something accurately if you don't understand how it works in the first place?

ZacD
01-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Focus on your classes first, I'm a senior in highschool, 3D generalist, I love what I do, but I don't let it get in the way of anything else, I've worked, done debate, took tough courses, had a social life, and did CG & animation in my free time and my grades were never borderline failing.

gregsandor
01-30-2009, 09:58 PM
i dont know what to do i want to go to VFS, full sail, or IADT.
You don't know for sure that you want to go to those schools or even that they'll still be around in 3 years. I'm not knocking them in particular: the reality is that things change over time. Some are in your control, like what you want to do with your life, and some are outside your control, like whether those schools are still open, or whether they teach what you want to learn when the time comes to apply.

i need to pass high school... is it better to just kinda Pull through and pass high school with low grade ( D's and some C's) and have a really good 3d modeling background or kinda pause on the 3d modeling and try my best to get B's.
So you'll tell an interviewer for a college or a job that as long as he gives you interesting projects you'lll work hard for him, but if he doesn't you'll just coast and do sub-par work? Are you lazy?

i know the subjects but i just dont put the time in.
If you really knew the subjects you'd be acing your classes. Stop screwing around, study hard AND work hard at 3d. I had a geometry class in my sophomore year of high school. I struggled with it at first, and at the time I had no idea that I'd be working as an artist years later, but worked hard in class and got a tutor and learned the basics. As I use geometry all day every day now I am very glad I put the effort in.

ZacD
01-30-2009, 10:12 PM
QFT. And I wouldn't even recommend going to VFS without going to get a real degree first, which includes a general education at another school. The straight from high school kids had a bit more difficult time coping with the program than the older students. Obviously money is a big deal with the program, but yea it didn't work out quite as well as the younger students I'm sure thought it would.
I'd suggest that too, My plan is to get an Associates degree in art (local community college for 2 years) then go to Gnomon.

JesseDavis
01-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Personally I think the better your communications skills and abilities are, the further you can go. I wouldn't just eke by, try to make the most of the other classes that you take as you never know when that will come in handy. I think reading in particular really informs your imagination, I need to do more of that, speaking of which...

QFT. And I wouldn't even recommend going to VFS without going to get a real degree first, which includes a general education at another school. The straight from high school kids had a bit more difficult time coping with the program than the older students. Obviously money is a big deal with the program, but yea it didn't work out quite as well as the younger students I'm sure thought it would. You need good grades whether you think you do or not. And if you don't think you do now, you'll soon find out.

warhawk887
01-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I took a look at your portfolio and it only has one piece in there. Which shows a level of skill that I would expect from a Sophomore in High School.

aqually that was only one of my peice i havnt actually upload my other piece to my portfiole just to the WIP forums these are some of my other things.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6885/burtonboardstx6.th.bmp (http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=burtonboardstx6.bmp)

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/2994/frontva5.th.png (http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frontva5.png)

and this is what i rigged http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7cZqP2HHjY

and i dont want to my stubborn or something but someone said i might change my mind. i havnt changed since 3rd grade. But i do know ya it could change though.

MatthewNovak
01-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Well, Im definetly not a school type person. In high school I would do really well in things I was interested in, and not so well in things I wasn't interested in.

I also worked on quite a bit of 3D in high school. But I started getting serious and rather than just farting around in 3D programs I would guide my self through more of a class. I assigned weekly projects, some got done, some didn't because I focused on school... Try to do 3D but don't let it bog down other stuff, find a happy medium.

I just graduated in '08, Im now working for 1 year saving money to go to a 3D school. Probably looking into going to Think Tank, thats my choice. Reason why im working for a year right now is to have a year to focus on 3D and teach myself as well as earn some money to pay for the school. I don't want to make my parents pay for me so im paying for it all myself, I landed a good job at a university for a full time temporary position. Just photoshoping and scanning images and some photography, then uploading them to servers and stuff. Ive always had a outstanding knowledge in computers since I was young so thats one of the main reasons they hired me, and the interview went really well too. Work experiance is extremely valuable now days, so don't be afraid of doing freelance or anything that sparks your interest. Also try to incorporate 3D into school, for various projects I made 3D models and nice looking diagrams with photoshop.

And yes, life will get busy. One school night I had a website that I had to finish making (freelance work), a Math test to study for, and a programming project. All due the next day, I stayed up till 3am, slept till 6am. Pressure of balancing multiple jobs is something your going to have to get used to (especially in this industry, I think).

So my conclusion to what you should do is, find a happy medium (balance 3D work and school work), make sure your devoted and this is what you want to do. Look for a 3D school that suits you, don't be afraid to phone them and organize a interview or visit to their school. This is a big choice you must make, and its always best to get the most information you can. And like JessieDavis said, a degree isn't a bad idea.

Good Luck. ;)

gregsandor
01-30-2009, 11:13 PM
and i dont want to my stubborn or something but someone said i might change my mind. i havnt changed since 3rd grade. But i do know ya it could change though.

Nobody hires third graders to work as professional artists. The point was that things change anbd you ought to be prepared to adapt and learn, and also that you shouldn't box yourself into only one option for your career. If you want to be stubborn, fine. You will be competing with people who aren't, and who earned 3 or 4 point averages all through school while working full or part time jobs to pay for college. They will eat your lunch.

warhawk887
01-31-2009, 12:51 AM
Your right. and i think all of you are right. I think my problem is that i am a little stuborn but i will get over that and really push my grades up. I think when i just heard it from teacher that really didnt know about the indrostury i didnt care or think there right. but hearing it from succesfull people really opens my brain and now i really do want to do good. And me and my guidance counscler are going to call VFS next week and see what requirments are and so i can focuse on it. I dont think i will be a Straight A student but hearing this i want B's again and im going to try my hardest. im going to stop being lazy lol. ( and side-note... right now im only failing math and im going to work on that) And even though its not good but i think its small step and i felt good knowing i wasnt failing my other classes and passing in my missing homework.

gregsandor
01-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Your right. and i think all of you are right. I think my problem is that i am a little stuborn but i will get over that and really push my grades up. I think when i just heard it from teacher that really didnt know about the indrostury i didnt care or think there right. but hearing it from succesfull people really opens my brain and now i really do want to do good. And me and my guidance counscler are going to call VFS next week and see what requirments are and so i can focuse on it. I dont think i will be a Straight A student but hearing this i want B's again and im going to try my hardest. im going to stop being lazy lol. ( and side-note... right now im only failing math and im going to work on that) And even though its not good but i think its small step and i felt good knowing i wasnt failing my other classes and passing in my missing homework.

Best of luck to you.

Terkonn
01-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Now that I am in college I look back and recognize an important principle that has given me strength and has ultimately changed my life and that is hard work.

Most people talk of the importance of hard work being that nothing gets done without it, which is true. But there is a certain confidence that comes when working hard that ultimately drives us to success.

This will not only earn you good grades, but will be the means by which you will be successful at anything you do, whether at art or becoming a doctor or anything else.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2009, 05:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.