PDA

View Full Version : Character:Bolg

dcon
06-28-2003, 10:08 AM
This is a concept drawing I did for Bolg the Goblin King from 'The Hobbit'. I am planning to model him eventualy. I've never modeled a realy fat character so this would be a good challenge.

-any comments and critiques are welcome.

http://www.dustincondie.com/bolg_concept.jpg

Kirt
06-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Looks like a fun character to try and model. I'm trying to think of the difference between goblins and orcs and my mind has stepped out on me. :shrug:

I'm an older guy ... be nice, it'll happen to you someday. :D

The fold on his upper belly that comes up from his hip would make more sense going the other direction (from armpit down to bottom of belly). Thinking of the weight in the stomach you should have the skin stretched on the top and bunched up at the bottom.

I think it'd look more interesting also with more folds and fat around his joints as well. His arms and legs look very fit compared to his torso. Is he supposed to be fat or muscular? The limbs kind of contradict the rest of his body.

dcon
06-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the tips, with his belly I was trying to give the impression it was being propped up somwhat by his chair but I think your right about the fold. When I finaly model it (I'm thinking either XSI or Maya to take advantage of the softbody feature) it should alter properly acording to his pose. As for his arms being more fit than his body, I wanted to give the impression that he's still a badass fighter but king life has made him a bit of a slob. Orcs are discribed as being grossly disproportionate and I was trying to reflect this. Here's the pic by John Howe that inspired me. As for the difference between orcs and goblins, I think they're the same thing only in The Hobbit they are called goblins.

Troll
06-29-2003, 02:39 AM
Reminds me of this guy:
http://www.3dluvr.com/acme/workinprogress/m~21~a.jpg

Still a damn cool scetch:buttrock:

Goblins and Orcs are not the same. Goblins are smaller and stupider, and they live in caves. OR something like that:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.