PDA

View Full Version : So I want to model furniture...

PlanetMongo
06-28-2003, 09:45 AM
I'm a wierdo, mkay?
Actually, I was thinking of the things I'd really like to do when I finally plunge into blendering. The biggest things that I seem to like are buildings and furniture/interiors. Yeah, freaking nightmare boring stuff, right? (well, cgarchitect is.. amazing).
But, it has a practical side, as well. I'd like to become a cabinetmaker one day (and do cg on the side, w00t!). I was thinking about some stuff someone else was doing and thought that was a really nifty idea: When a customer comes to you with a project or need, grab some pictures of the site/room, whatever, rough up a design, render it, and then composite it onto the picture so the customer gets a good idea of what they are getting.
Now, I know that Blender doesn't have a raytracer, but with yafray that's pretty much moot. My concern is precision (or lack thereof). Is this kind of work feasible for blender? (granted, I can learn the basics of modelling and rendering, lighting, etc with blender, regardless) Or should I be looking at 3DSMax Architecture or something? ANd I suppose I should ask "where do I start" but I think the answer is pretty obvious: start modelling and learning the tools. :)
Thanks in advance, again. :)

Elsdon
06-30-2003, 03:34 AM
PlanetMongo
For my money (which always seems to be in short supply) you will find Blender has everything
that you will need for modeling furniture.

Look in the recourses link http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50137
for tutorials regarding curves, beveled objects etc and you will find a plethora of furniture
making tools unveiled in Blender.

Time and diligence are the real keys to learning Blender.

Have fun and I hope to see some of your work soon.

Elsdon.

Apollux
07-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Well PlanetMongo.. I'm sorry, but I got to tell you that SOMEBODY IS ALREADY DOING THAT!!!

Yeap, some time ago I remember a post of some asking about how precise 'Blender Units' where since he wanted to export his blender models into a CAD program. I don't remember the exact figure but the amount of precision was amazing.

Anyways, some answered that HE was actually exporting blend files to AutoCAD, and a computer controled saw/drill (I don't rember well the tool, it is some kind of industrial robot anyways) read the CAD file and produce the actuall furniture out of it.

Apollux
07-06-2003, 08:48 PM
here it is
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9804&highlight=cad

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.