PDA

View Full Version : Dust/Sand/Dirt Blowing Tutorial

slice56
06-28-2003, 09:51 AM
Hey guys, I am about to start setting my scene up for my cars, and I need to figure out max's particle system. You guys know of any tuts out there for a billowing dust simulation? I just need to get the basic idea, then I can get it the way i want it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Dave

edaddy
06-30-2003, 06:35 PM
just google and i'm sure you'll find something-

i can offer a little bit of help right now to get you started(assuming u know a little about particle systems) - make your system, particles should be set to 'facing', and the particles should be large enough to overlap each other, do a test render for size .........now on your material editor assign a material, check the 'face map' and '2-sided' boxes, put your specular level and glossiness on 0, now put a gradiant map in your opacity channel. ...... If your still reading it's almost over now ... set your gradient to radial and darken all the colors. (you can go back and put a sand map or whatever in the 'diffuse color' slot later).... finally, go to object properties for your particle system and turn off 'cast shadows' .... now you should have a basic particle dust to get you started -

Aljoker
07-12-2003, 08:56 AM
i think if you use splash plug-in or sandblast plug-in you will have a good result.

try them and tell us what you will find.

slice56
07-12-2003, 06:19 PM
thanks guys, ill let you know what I come up with :)

SimonReeves
07-22-2003, 10:59 PM
good old Allen McKay tut's

cant go wrong
even though it basically says what edaddy said ;)

http://www.3dluvr.com/machette/

foreverendering
07-28-2003, 07:09 PM
I decided to try running through the fire tutorial on http://www.3dluvr.com/machette/, and although it is very well written, I'm hung up on the part where you are supposed to create an opacity map with the plugin electric.dlt

I downloaded electric.dlt from blur.com and put it in my stdplugs folder, but when I load up max it says that it won't intialize (?). As such, it's not an option in my material editor.

I noticed that the tutorial was for max4 and I'm running Max5.1, is that the problem? Or is it possible to get this file working for Max5.1 and I'm just doing something wrong?

If anyone has gotten this plugin working with Max5.1 please let me know how. Or, if you don't have 5.1 but have electric.dlt can you post a shot of what the map looks like so I can attempt to recreate it in photoshop.

The fire in that tutorial looks so nice whereas mine looks, um, terrible. hehe.

Bree
07-31-2003, 12:56 AM
you can get the electric plugin fro the blur website. Plugins for max 4 should work 99% for max 5. Not sure about the new max 6 though :D

www.blur.com

- Bree

JayCMiller
07-31-2003, 01:49 PM
some blur plugs need the BlurLib plugin, just put it with the rest:)

foreverendering
07-31-2003, 03:15 PM
No kidding! :blush:

I was wondering WHY it wouldn't work if 99% of the plugins normally work, and people have told me they had no problems getting it working in max5.

But sure enough, all I had to do was install the BlurLib plugin and BAM, good to go. Electric is showing up as an option in the material editor now.

Thanks so much! Just yesterday 3DZ showed me how to create the effect manually and now I have the option of going either way, very cool!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.